Previous in Forum: Access to High-Earth Orbit Is About to Get Much Cheapter   Next in Forum: Current Solar Cycle - Can anybody give me a primer?
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Participant

How to get approval for cables used in the automobile and aerospace industries

01/30/2009 6:51 PM

We're manufacturer of cable assemblies in the electronics industry. In order to move up our value chain, my company is keen to explore new production lines for the automobile and aerospace industries. Can I get some advice from experts in these industries? Thanks......

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

Re: How to get approval for cables used in the automobile and aerospace industries

01/30/2009 9:45 PM

You need to contact your local FAA representative or DER and work with them.

I am not sure about the specific requirements for wire and electrical cable, but you might try Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) part 25 and part 26 requirements.

However, your regional FAA office will be able to guide you with what you need to do specifically.

Be prepared to do everything by the book. The FAA is very, very picky and you need to cross every T and dot every i on every piece of document you have. It is a long process and if this is your first time, you will get beat up pretty bad by the FAA rep. Been there and did that myself many times.

Good luck!

Guru

Good Answers: 23

Re: How to get approval for cables used in the automobile and aerospace industries

02/01/2009 6:11 AM

FIRST ASK YOURSELF HOW MONG YOU CABLES WILL HOLD UP IN A FIRE FUELED BY ANY CHEMICAL USED IN AIR CRAFT.

If your cables and coatings will not withstand the heat of a high temp fire for at least 30 sec then do some R&D.

Wire makers have been trying to create a coating for their wiring on Aircraft to last up too 1 minuite for years. They have included coatings that give off smoke to smother a fire and other things. All kinds of Patents for coatings exist.

HYD OIL fires burn really hot.

02/01/2009 5:22 PM

Im also interested in the approval for the innovative cable assembly capability...

Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - CE3AM....4X4SW....CE3NSW

Good Answers: 7

02/01/2009 5:40 PM

Both of the above replies do not concern you.

If you want to produce cable assy's FAA is not whom you have to talk to. And "your" wire or cables do not have to be automatically flame or chemical proof as you will not be the one who specifies what type is going to be used. You also do not fall within the PMA (parts manufacturing association) or the QPL (qualified parts list) approved lists. If you want to enter this highly competitive aero space industry you will have to become an approved facility by the main contractor who will be your client. Yes, you will need tons of very expensive hand and other tools and will need to learn how to work according to military and aviation requirement and run rigorous test procedures QC and tons of paperwork. It is a long and tedious process but once you are in business it is good money if there's any work... My one million Dollar advise to you if you really want to do this, contract an experienced guy to help you. There are many NASA Boeing etc. guys who are very knowledgeable and not expensive...

Hope it helps

Wangito

Location: Globaly - very close to the southern most point of Canada
Good Answers: 12

02/02/2009 9:22 AM

SAE AS9100

Your company should be AS9100 certified to supply to many aircraft manufacturers. It's a good step for a new company.

I agree with wangito (post#4). It is a matter of meeting requirements for specific products and markets. General transportation authorities will have less of an impact on you than customer requirements.

Our company is aerospace and military in both electrical, fluid conveyance and spare parts supply. It is a very long road to becoming a supplier in this area. One step (or product) at a time would be the best path to follow.

Engineering and technical people better be prepared to go through a lot of specifications and audits. And be prepared for the related costs.

This link is a good place to start if you want to take the route of listing your company as a qualified supplier:

http://www.pri-network.org/Nadcap/

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Hero (1); Anonymous Poster (1); dadw5boys (1); gdevine (1); wangito (1)

Previous in Forum: Access to High-Earth Orbit Is About to Get Much Cheapter   Next in Forum: Current Solar Cycle - Can anybody give me a primer?
You might be interested in: Cable Assemblies

Advertisement