Previous in Forum: STRUCTURAL WEIGHT CALCULATOR   Next in Forum: Splitting Component Drawings - Is It Normal?
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 151

Polar-Mohr Eltromat Guillotine

02/04/2009 9:07 AM

We have an old Polar-Mohr eltromat 115 guillotine (vintage early 1970's) that has developed a number of electrical problems, the most serious being a non functioning light barrier which is a major safety issue. The US distributer, Heidelberg no longer supports these early models.

I am looking for someone with experience servicing these machines for help troubleshooting this old electrical system. and a source for spare parts. We are located in Massachusetts USA. The only company that I could locate on the internet is located in California, and only covers the South West US. I do have the complete owner's manual with electrical control diagrams, but the manual provides little help with electrical problems.

While we use this machine frequently, we cannot justify the purchase of a newer or new model.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Anonymous Poster

Re: Polar-Mohr Eltromat Guillotine

02/04/2009 11:33 PM

sounds like it has a blown rely that is in the latch position i saw this years ago on a machine where i worked in toronto.

there is a copany in toronto that does repairs and will fly people in just cant recall there name

go to canada411.ca and get a few numbers for binderys in toronto and call and ask who they use i use to have the guys name and i was told there still around about 2 years ago from a relative that is in the business still

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - I am a Yankee Doodle Boy. Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - Old School is the best school. Safety - ESD - Safety Mgr that keeps the peace Hobbies - DIY Welding - My Motto:

Good Answers: 26

02/05/2009 9:00 AM

Very few if any parts are still available for these machines because of the age. You are correct that Heidelberg no longer supports these machines and it is because these machine no longer meet the safety requirements required by federal law.

I myself have worked on these machines for years and may be able to be of service to you however it sounds like you might have a board that is going out or is gone. These boards are no longer available from Heidelberg and your only option is to have them rebuilt. I don't know if this is an option provided by them but typically if you have a good diagnostics shop near you they can locate the problem with the board and repair it for you.

Typically the board that will cause this particular problem is the LS amplifier board which is in the main control section of the machine look and see if the D37 contactor is sticking. you might be able to just replace the contactor but they are hard to find as they are board mounted mini contactors with coil of an odd voltage sometimes. This board can also affect the SK board, which is the cut cycle board. This means that is is very possible for the machine to cycle without touching the cut buttons.

If you have a CE machine then you have a completely different circuit and I would have to see the wiring diagrams.

The only place I know of that sells parts for these old machines is GB Cutter which may be the place in CA that you are talking about.

Hope this helps but I really suggest you get a newer model (at least an EMC Mon) as the age of your machine is not going to do you any favors. The problem you have now is that once you have a light barrier that is not functioning the next possible problem, which could be very sever, is that the cut circuit could operate without touching the buttons. which is highly dangerous as you can well imagine. This puts you well in danger of a shutdown of your facility if you are up for a safety inspection by our favorite (NOT!) agency.

In that case it would be much cheaper to purchase a newer model machine.

I would suggest a 115 EMC monitor they are the cheapest on the market easy to program and still supported by Heidelberg. You can probably pick one of these up for about 6-10k.

Hope this was helpful let me know if I can be of further assistance.

02/20/2009 10:19 PM

I have the same machine. An aftermarket light barrier is available. There is a company named Bindery Tech that is excellent with these cutters. They also have used parts. You may call me at 614-274-8810 at work. Phil.

Register to Reply
New Zealand - Member - New Member

05/04/2009 4:13 PM

Hi, I have only just seen your message so I don't know if you have fixed the problem or not. There are a number of after market safety light curtains that you can get fitted to the guillotine to replace your old ones. Also, if the original control boards are starting to give a lot of problems then you can replace them with a PLC control system and servo control for the backgauge control. As far as finding someone that will service the machine try asking some other printshops who do they use for their servicing.

05/09/2009 12:25 PM

Hi, sound looks likes your power supply card giving a problem, pls check the mother board soldering area as well the plug In chart 1 whic carry all the control fusess,

wish you all the best

Ragu

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 151
In reply to #4

05/11/2009 3:42 PM

I think that this is the approach that I am going to take. Not a PLC, but a modern punch press control (most of our presses use Cieco controls) and light curtain. Only problem is the odd-ball 42 VDC used by the clutch solonoid. I can probably keep the main power supply board.

As to the back gage, this was replaced with an aftermarket control (Gergek) years ago.

10/16/2009 4:11 PM

Hi

we have to modify a Polar-Mohr to install a plc and a servo motor, and we can't find any information about the hydraulic valve, are they 42VDC too? like the clutch solonoid ?

thank if you can give to us this information

Jean-S├ębastien Deschambault
jsdeschambault@rotatronique.ca
Pr├ęsident

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #7

10/26/2009 3:40 PM

Hello, I am in the middle of a retro on a 1977 115ce Polar, If you haven't already found out the solenoids for the hydraulic cut and clamp are 42vdc and are in parallel (M27 A/B) I'm installing a board made by D & D printing, I have all the schematics for the cutter, so that makes it alot easier. hope this helps.

Os (osmund433@cox.net)

Register to Reply
Participant

11/27/2010 8:51 PM

I need urgent diagrams electrical and Polar mechanical manual in guillotines 76, 82, 92,107, 115, 125 if you have anyone of the models to send urgent. Likin_davis2@hotmail.com Thanks. Greetings. David. (Lima,Peru).

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

11/28/2010 9:04 PM

If you are having problems with the light barriers the usual causes of faults with the light barrier circuit are;

a/ faulty photocells. If relay d37, found on the light barrier amplifier board, is not energising then check the light barrier for alignment, and the photocells.

b/ If d37 is energised but d230 is not energised then check the cam switches.

These are just a couple of items check through.

It would help if you could give a little more detail about the fault.

Register to Reply
Participant

04/09/2012 10:50 PM

i have a Polar Mohr 115 EM-MON which has a lot of problem.the current problem that it has and we still can't solve is "safety bolt locking".we have replace a set of proximity switch that triggering the magnetic valve but the error still there.really appreciate if anyone here can advise.i attach a picture of the input/output check.

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #11

06/12/2012 7:34 AM

Hi! Is not only safety bolt sensor fault, pls check all sensor sharing the same voltages Into this circuitry , carry out all this steps: a. Please confirm the knife upstroke control device . This control device control by sensor check the sensors there must be four sensors, check the output voltage, and that is ok , check the logic control card ( MYH ) there is dual input voltages dc 24 volts to this card and one the voltage is stablize voltage from SMPS card and the other voltage is unstablize voltage coming from transformer , If both of the voltage is there, the HYM Card is defect, replace it. Good luck Shral

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #12

Re: Polar 115 EMC Monitor

11/28/2012 11:03 AM

Hi,

I have a Polar 115 EMC Monitor model 1991 serial no 6131202. Imported it from the United States about a year ago. Just a month ago. There is an error message which occur one after the other always after around 20 mins of operation - Clamping time Interupted and Cut Circuit Interupted thereafter the both the clamp and the knife refuse to fall. My polar mechanic says its a electrical problem, the polar electrician came in and said most probably its a board problem, he then removed the right most board which he says most likely is the problem because no 79 indicator light went off at the time the error/problem happens. Its been 3 weeks already, and he says he is close to giving up, because he is having a hard time, because he has no diagram, any suggestions from anyone would be highly appreciated. Anyone has a diagram. You can also email me at pressmachines@yahoo.com.

To all thank you in advance.

qcpress

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Participant

11/29/2012 7:11 PM

Please check it out the photo eyes condition.

Wish you all the best

Shral

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Participant

08/02/2013 4:17 PM

I am encountering the same issue with regard to the light curtain that you describe below and am having serious issues getting any assistance. Is there any chance you can provide me a copy of the wire diagram? With the wiring diagram I can at least properly install a new light curtain and safe guard my employees from injury.

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #9

10/06/2013 10:20 PM

Hi David,

Did you get any manuals for Polar guillotines?

Register to Reply
Participant

05/13/2014 3:37 PM

Could you scan your owner's manual with all info that you have. I can suggest a update of a electric control of your machine. But i need to see first your electrical control diagrams.

I update electrical control of a Polar mohr 150 EL (1969), but have a minimal difference betwen both

Register to Reply
Participant

08/20/2014 10:28 PM

Has anyone used Compound Manufacturing (www.compoundmfg.com) before? It looks like they don't have any boards or electrical parts but we are trying to source safety shear bolts for our Polar 115 CE.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 18 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (6); cmarino (1); D4rkThanatoS (1); double_j_b (1); gringogreg (1); Ibrajim (1); pejai (1); Print (1); PrinterJay (1); qcpress (1); sags_v (1); Shral (2)

Previous in Forum: STRUCTURAL WEIGHT CALCULATOR   Next in Forum: Splitting Component Drawings - Is It Normal?

Advertisement