Previous in Forum: How to find leak in home heating duct?   Next in Forum: Time Machine Found!
Close
Close
Close
The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 129

Epilepsy and Oscillatory Brain Waves

03/16/2005 3:45 AM

A follow up to our discussion. I'm including a link to a paper. It's a bit thick, I recommend just reading the conclusions and then if you're ambitious delving into the details. I'm vaguely famaliar with nonlinear systems but I'm lost very quickly in this paper. The results can be understood though with a minimal knowledge of chaotic systems.

From the paper:

The agents producing the seizure tend to drive the brain activity toward a stable periodic motion. In such states, information processing would be impossible and recovery would be extremely difficult. However, the brain manages to remain on a chaotic attractor, although one of a very low dimensionality, in order to process reflex activities. (continued) Just to help out with the above paragraph. Attractors are mathematical objects needed for a chaotic state to exist (Chaotic is good when it comes to brain funtions). Dimensionality is refering to how complicated your chaotic structure is (the higher the better for the brain, to a certain extent). So their saying that all but a little of the chaotic nature of the brain's functioning disappear during an epileptic fit, except for the minimal ones needed for bare survival (breathing, etc.). The normal chaotic nature is replaced by a periodic nature (This is measured through brainwaves).

Here is the paper.

Login to Reply
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Previous in Forum: How to find leak in home heating duct?   Next in Forum: Time Machine Found!

Advertisement