Previous in Forum: Roles of Construction and Fabrication Engineer   Next in Forum: Machines for Making Teabags
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Power-User

DG Set Hall Ventillation

10/28/2009 12:41 PM

I am a mech engr. For calculating the ventilation of the DG set hall, what is the heat loss to be considered from alternator? Engine heat loss data will be obtained from engine vendor.

thanks

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: ventilation of DG set hall
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Location: Sitting directly behind my keyboard in Albuquerque - USA
Good Answers: 19

Re: DG Set Hall Ventillation

10/28/2009 10:58 PM

If this is a radiator cooled machine and the radiator fan is attached to the engine where air is pulled into the room across the alternator and out the radiator then size the inlet to the room 1/3 larger than the radiator square meter size and you are finished.

If you still want to get scientific, you must also consider the engine air consumption if the intake air via the air filters is in the same room. The engine consumes air and 'pumps' it out as exhaust !

Alternator heat is kW x efficiency so if you have a 100 kVA machine at 0.8 PF this is 80 kW x estimated 96% eff = 3.2 kW entering the room and the balance goes to the grid.

Any large generator manufacturer (Cummins, Cat, MAN, etc) has free programs to calculate all this.

In reply to #1

10/28/2009 11:42 PM

thanks for your points. In fact I had worked on this subject some years ago and forgotten the issue. Engine air consumption was also considered at the time.

Register to Reply

10/29/2009 6:03 AM

I'm from the shipbuliding side. While designing the ventilation system for the Engine Rooms on ships we consider Heat loss due to radiation from alternator as 6% of the alternator rating. Exact figure can be taken from the alternator supplier.

Regards.

Anant.

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Sitting directly behind my keyboard in Albuquerque - USA
Good Answers: 19

Re: DG Set Hall Ventilation

10/30/2009 4:06 AM

Anant is more accurate with 6% than I was. I just looked at some generator efficiencies and they vary greatly with load. A 2 MW machine has 6-8% losses depending on load (92% - 94% eff) but in any case, get an eff curve from the alt maker and then you have a real number.

Cheers

In reply to #1

01/26/2011 1:36 AM

CR4 ADMIN: Deleted Post

Spam: This post was deleted because it contained advertising outside the Commercial Space forum. Please review Section 14 of the CR4 Site FAQ about advertising.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

apg2301@yahoo.co.in (1); b v rao (1); kroni (1); PetroPower (2)

Previous in Forum: Roles of Construction and Fabrication Engineer   Next in Forum: Machines for Making Teabags

Advertisement