Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 4

Software for Nutrition/Fitness Tracking

11/13/2009 11:34 AM

I've been on a health kick since this past summer, and have lost 85 pounds so far. I've been using a program called FitDay in order to track what calories I'm taking in and burning.

I got to thinking the other day, when it comes to exercise, wouldn't a heavier person (I'm 250lbs at the moment) burn more calories jogging at the same intensity as a lighter person, due solely to the fact that they have more mass to have to move? A preliminary Google search made me think that is most likely the case.

My question is this:

Does anyone know of a good Nutrition/Fitness tracking software solution that would calculate calories burned during exercise based on your current body weight and not some stock value?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Re: Software for Nutrition/Fitness Tracking

11/16/2009 10:56 AM

Merph,

Between you and me: everyone burns calories which was injected in our body. Only the excess stays and creates a few pounds. Don't eat high glycemic indexed products like potatoes, corn, bananas, sugar and all products containing sugar like soft-drinks and white bread. Respect human metabolism and eat lots of veggies with meat (small amount is recommanded), lots of veggies with pastas and bread, and never mix meat (proteins) with carbohydrates (pasta, bread). I know it's hard but you want to suffer and die before you should do? Overweighting and eating what is in front of us is inconsciousness and we all pay the price for it. In the other hand, you use your brain and choose what you suppose to eat. Forget calories and cholesterol but read a small book written by Montignac: Eat and be healthy. He will tell you all verity about our way to eat and live. I repeat, it's hard to do what you have to do but with Montignac's suggestion is the solution for you. Also, read Linous Pauling's books and you find that extremely knowledgeable people give free help to many but not many lissen to them. Again, you are the decider, Gil

Power-User

Good Answers: 7

11/16/2009 12:50 PM

This may be what you are looking for...

http://www.healthcrazed.com/articles/calculator.htm

Work = Mass*Acceleration*Distance, so yes your mass is one factor.

In reply to #2

11/16/2009 1:43 PM

That link is great, thank you!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

11/17/2009 2:15 PM

Hi D M,

People ask for help, someone does something good, some result come out from those helps, but the person did nothing, so he gets back the number of pounds lost and the future guarrantee more. I understand the question but nothing and nobody can help people to loose weight. The overweight person needs to do everything. What I eat never nourish anyone. There is only transfer of ideas, never pounds or kilos. When this is clear, weight-loosing program can start for the real. I am not overweight, I just maintain my weight to a certain and convenient level for me. It's like smoking. Everyone tells you they cannot stop. However, many million other can. Think a moment, during sleep, nobody smokes! How come? Disconnect your mind from the subject of smoking and when you don't think about it, you don't have the need for it. In all cases, the individual with an issue or problem needs to act to get the solution. Wish the best for weight-loosing and also for the smoking people. Once, I waws overweight and smoked. My mind did the work, and I am thanking for that, Gil.

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #4

11/17/2009 2:56 PM

I'm not really sure what you're getting at. I'm already losing weight successfully, I was just looking for a better way of tracking my exercise.

I can appreciate if you don't care to track numbers in order to maintain your weight, but not everyone does things the same.

Cheers.

(I forgot to login earlier, doh.)

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Analog and Digital Circuit Design Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Transformers, Motors & Drives, EM Launchers Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Applied Electrical, Optical, and Mechanical

Good Answers: 119
In reply to #5

11/19/2009 9:52 AM

Eating healthy, watching calorie input, and adding just a little exercise can provide wonderful results (been there, done that, still doing it). Calculator link provided above can be very useful (GA).

One suggestion that helped me a lot was to have the larger meals earlier in the day. Only smaller (lower calorie) meals for dinner and no meals within 4 hours of sleep. Everyone is a little different. Too few have the patience to find their own healthy lifestyle. Best wishes to you!

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #6

11/28/2009 11:28 PM

In reply to #5

11/19/2009 10:14 AM

Hi Merph,

"I'm not really sure what you're getting at!" You ask for help and when someone help you, you don't consider for good, you just reject the help, and you are convinced that we are crazy. What you want to track. Each time you run for half of an hour you loose different quantity of calories because the daily food, occupation or activities, health, and other things affect your body. So, the response as result, will be different at each occasion. The best, write down what you want, do it, notify it, and see the differences after a certain period of time, and analyze the results and maintain or change the process for the future. Did you write already something to date? Every time you have some exercise? If yes, hey, you have already some data and you can work on. You are smart, seeing your answers, and I am sure you will find the best solution for you. Wish you the best, Gil.

In reply to #5

11/30/2009 9:11 AM

Hello Merph,

I understand that you are looking for a better way of tracking your exercise. If I suggest you my best way of tracking my exercise will help you to do the same? I don't think so. Everyone has a particular methabolism, health, and response to exercise. Including a professional on the subject, if this person is responsible, il just tells what is the main issue about exercise. Oh, I know there are many advertising around "the best way to be healthy" and "have better life by using this equipment but end of the day, every individual needs to do something by itself. The real answer come from personal experiences and not from suggestions. Your life is yours mine is my life, however, you can suggest me to follow your experiences or vice-and-versa. Get the good answer by yourself and have a nice day, Gil.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); d_m_rosenberg (1); Gil Becker (4); Jaan (1); merph (1); mjb1962853 (1)

Previous in Forum: REQUEST   Next in Forum: Artificial Neurotransmitters

Advertisement