Previous in Forum: Latch Design Help   Next in Forum: Manual for Stanko Gear Hobbing Machine
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Active Contributor

Oil Flow Control Speed

01/27/2010 10:34 AM

I need to control the oil flow that passes in a pipe (diameter about 2 inch). The pipe is under pressure. I've not deep mechanical skills and I thought of a pump or turbine controlled by an electric motor driven by an inverter that can counteract the oil motion. The pump should be able to stop the flow. Moreover if the pump is not controlled the oil pressure should be able to put in rotation the motor shaft when it pass through the pump. The question is where I can find such kind of solution? It should be enough to find the pump/turbine.
Please feel free to contact me if you need more info.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1661

Re: oil flow control speed

01/27/2010 10:46 AM

Sounds like you need a positive displacement pump. I hope you are not trying to generate electricity with the back flow.

All the pump suppliers have web sites, so I'd Google "positive displacement pump".

There you will find many choices to suit your particular needs.

Good Luck.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #1

02/01/2010 5:09 AM

To be honest I would like to generate electricity with a fluid that circulate normally in a pipe. For this reason I would use a pump either as a turbine or a pump. Obviously the efficiency of the turbine is lower than the pump. Could you explain me why you are skeptical?

Thank you in advance

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 811

01/27/2010 10:56 AM
  • Valves stop flow altogether, or let it pass.
  • Pumps push fluid along.
  • An inverter is there to vary the pump motor speed.

Those three things don't really fit together when added to the text above. So, back to basics:

• What is the process?
  • What is this oil flow being used to do?
  • Why has the flow to slow, stop and go backwards?

In reply to #2

02/01/2010 5:29 AM

The idea is to improve the efficiency of an industrial machine.

The oil speed can range from 0.2 to 1 m/s

The pump, I would use, doesn't push the fluid.

I would use a pump us a turbine, to generate electricity, when the fluid go backwards instead of using valves. The inverter will help me to recover energy end, at the same time, it should control the oil speed when the fluid go backwards.

Thanks

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 204
In reply to #9

02/01/2010 11:07 AM

What is usually done is to put a VFD controller on the pump, and back off the drive as the load goes down, and thus you save the electricity you already have in hand.

Trying to create electricity in this scenario is wasteful I think.

Chris.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Commentator

Good Answers: 4

01/27/2010 11:43 AM

Reading your message I think that your BEST bet would be to consult a competent professional experienced in fluid flow technology. Transportation of fluids in pipes, especially oils with their assorted viscosities and associated temperature dependence, not to mention numerous other parameters, is a fairly complex science and unless you know the subject well, it is wise to let an expert deal with it.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 181

01/27/2010 12:07 PM

Which pressure? Which kind of oil? Which temperature? Which flow?

The simplest way to control a flow is to modify an orifice through which the flow has to go. This is called a valve and if you want to vary flow you could use a proportional valve.

If you want to generate a flow then you need a pump which again depending on pressure, flow and fluid can be of different types. Pumps supply a flow and not all types could also work in reverse "absorbing" a flow.

You should give more informations to get a better answer. I can give you the support but without serious and detailed input no correct output is possible!

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

01/27/2010 12:18 PM

I agree with NN

I case you want to control only the flow, without a need to add energy (ie increase pressure) then your best bet is to go for flow control valve. It will have the feed-back loop to control.

In case you want the flow to be controlled through a logic, go for electrically actuated flow control valves. there are several suppliers. I think Emerson has it, along with quite others like yogokawa etc.

Check their websites.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 779

Re: Oil Flow Control Speed

01/27/2010 11:12 PM

A positive constant displacement pump (gear, piston, vane, screw) combined with a flow control valve is a disaster waiting to happen.

A pressure compensated variable-volume pump could work okay with a downstream flow control valve.

A constant displacement but variable speed pump (motor VFD) can control flow without needing a flow control valve.

A P&ID would be nice, as would a better description of the process, especially what type of pump and what are the desired flows and pressures.

Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 204

Re: Oil Flow Control Speed

01/27/2010 11:34 PM

I agree. get the help of a piping and process engineer to design these circuits for you. You need a diverter valve in a bypass (recirculating) configuration.

Chris

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Alexander M. Berlin (1); Anonymous Poster (1); chrisg288 (2); claus (2); lyn (1); nick name (1); PWSlack (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Latch Design Help   Next in Forum: Manual for Stanko Gear Hobbing Machine
You might be interested in: Oil Sensors and Analyzers, Gas Flow Meters

Advertisement