Previous in Forum: Genetic Hijacking Termed "Creating Life"   Next in Forum: mgb
Close
Close
Close
19 comments
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 105

Frankenstein

06/01/2010 11:21 AM

We can transportlant organs. Has anyone done transplants of other body parts, like arms, hands, legs, etc? Technically, we are getting close to producing a Frankenstein monster.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 143

Re: Frankenstein

06/01/2010 11:32 AM

Face and hands that I know of. Then there was that business with Jeff Gilooly, but I'm not sure that counts.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

In reply to #1

06/01/2010 11:56 AM

Face and hands.

Face was plastic surgery. Were the hands transplants or re-attachments. I suspect the cost of such surgery wouldn't warrant it being done, but the thought of creating life ala Frankenstein style seems a possibility now more than ever before. I think we are in a time where the boundary between science fiction and reality can be crossed.

In reply to #2

06/01/2010 12:01 PM

Nope. Both were transplants.

In reply to #3

06/01/2010 1:14 PM

Are you talking about the french woman? Do you know any news?

Yahlasit

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Analog and Digital Circuit Design Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Transformers, Motors & Drives, EM Launchers Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Applied Electrical, Optical, and Mechanical

Good Answers: 119
In reply to #2

06/01/2010 1:39 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW2N2O7OcAA

Deeply disturbing to me to see people suffer this way. Although far from perfect, advances in transplantation are being made and are helping to alleviate some of the suffering.

Obviously the more successful operations are the re-attachment or direct replacement surgeries. I'm referring to the toes-for-fingers type operations when the original structure is too badly damaged to re-attach.

The Frankenstein reference has a negative connotation that some may feel is inappropriate considering the circumstances.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

06/01/2010 2:31 PM

The Frankenstein reference is entirely appropiate as the OP clearly states "creating life", not repairing damaged bodies.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282
In reply to #6

06/01/2010 4:58 PM

Hello ronseto.

I do not see it clearly stated your OP this talking about "creating life". I did see "Technically, we are getting close to producing a Frankenstein monster."

Creating life, as in the animation of a human being comprised of varied components (not really the correct word, but let's go with it) from varied persons deceased? Like I saw in the movie?

Well, OK. I guess. Are you asking us if this is possible, or telling us that it is?

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Analog and Digital Circuit Design Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Transformers, Motors & Drives, EM Launchers Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Applied Electrical, Optical, and Mechanical

Good Answers: 119
In reply to #6

06/01/2010 5:12 PM

Oops . I was focused on the initial post

"We can transportlant organs. Has anyone done transplants of other body parts, like arms, hands, legs, etc? Technically, we are getting close to producing a Frankenstein monster."

for Frankenstein thread (#55332).

Once tissue is dead, there is no revival. Re-animating dead tissue, as in Frankenstein fiction, is far from a reality. Science fiction does become reality all the time. We're just not even close on this one.

Genetic manipulation, an any current and foreseeable level, is just modifying existing life to create new variants. We need to be careful here since the new variant could rear up and bite us in ways we cannot yet predict. Science fiction movie mutants aside, the real dangers (or benefits) will initially come from modified prions, viruses, and bacteria.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #7

06/01/2010 5:53 PM

"the thought of creating life ala Frankenstein style"

Sorry, it was in my reply #2 that I stated it. This wasn't meant to be a question, but a discussion. I would just like to hear what others think about such a provocative subject. If it is now or will be possible, it opens a can of wide ranging implications and questions not many are willing to explore or question, both moral and ethical.

06/01/2010 5:55 PM

Actually, there is good evidence of a Frankenstein monster. Here.

Engineering Fields - Environmental Engineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 101

06/01/2010 7:44 PM

Yes.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 937

06/01/2010 9:22 PM

The root of the problem as I see it comes down to the following question:

Can people with the best of intentions inadvertently wander into the realm that others will call them a monster?

Well Ronseto, I believe you have.

I do understand that you raise this question with the best of intentions but to link the medical wonders of life extending transplants to Shelley's Frankenstein creature wants me to put you squarely in the real monster of the story, the mindless mob. This disgusts me.

06/01/2010 9:42 PM

There is a more relevant and likely question here. We are at the point where we can shortly, I think, start to either transplant stem cells or else alter those we already have with some confidence. No matter the mechanism, and I do understand the ethical considerations, this will be done. Perhaps within the next two decades we will develop the technology to change our DNA makeup, to grow new nerve cells, to heal damaged cells. Bioengineering is poised to do this, and the rest of us ought to begin talking about some of the issues. For example, in the same way that ADM owns gmo seeds, no matter where the wind blows them, will some pharma giant own my DNA if I receive a transplant of Hemopoietic Stem Cells from them?

06/01/2010 10:50 PM

Hand transplant's been done. Soldier wounded in Middle East is supposed to get two arms transplanted. Lost all 4 limbs in an attack. Featured on this past Sunday's "Sunday Morning" on CBS.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 54

06/02/2010 12:58 AM

I'm old enough to remember the first Heart transplant, it caused great anguish at the time as the conservatives and clergy gnashed their teeth. Now it's routine and no one worries much.

I suspect the same thing will happen again, this time using tissue grown in vitro, xenotransplants and organic/silicon machinery. Bring it on.

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Petroleum Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 149
In reply to #9

06/02/2010 11:23 AM

Technically this has already happened on a single cellular level. Venter and his company created an artificial single celled life form by taking an existing bacteria, removing the nuclear contents and replacing it with a synthetic genome then allowing the cell to reproduce. The synthetic genome was not made up from whole cloth however, they started with an existing genome, mapped every gene sequence in it, decided what parts were required to sustain life and deleted anything extraneous and then put it back together again.

Good Answers: 182

06/04/2010 7:29 AM

How do you define a monster?

may be the "put- together" creature will be less a monster than many "human" beings?

Who knows?

If I well remember (I read it a long time ago, don't ask me how many years!) in the story the "monster" was not as a "monster" as his fame.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 115

02/22/2020 6:46 PM

Well.....

03/12/2020 6:42 PM

Well, forget the bolt in the neck and the heavy boots.... I trust the first robot will be the 4.0 version of this. https://youtube/Xi0HsmnDafI

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xi0HsmnDafI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); Doorman (1); DVader1000 (1); ffej (1); Jeffrey Rosen (1); Kris (1); mjb1962853 (2); nick name (1); redfred (1); ronseto (3); Rorschach (1); TVP45 (4)

Previous in Forum: Genetic Hijacking Termed "Creating Life"   Next in Forum: mgb

Advertisement