Previous in Forum: 2003 Cavalier Starting Problems   Next in Forum: Intermitant low power
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Commentator

Good Answers: 7

Are the Valves of the US and Japan made F23A1 engine interchangeable?

06/02/2010 3:04 PM

The F 23A1 engine installed in the 1998-2002 Accord LX, EX and SE models was manufactured in both Japan and the US. The heads, valve guides and valve keepers were identical. However, the Honda lists different (and much more expensive) intake and exhaust valves for the Japan made engine than the US made engine.
00514711-P0A-000VALVE, IN. (TMSS Japan made) $18.51:

00514711-P0H-A00VALVE, IN. (U.S. ENGINE VALVE) $10.45:

00614721-P0A-000VALVE, EX. (TMSS Japan made) $ 28.74

00614721-P0H-A00VALVE, EX. (U.S. ENGINE VALVE) $15.33

Dokuro, a Japanese manufacturer of valves, also lists different parts for the Japanese and US made engines.

But Beck Arnley and Federal Mogul lists the same valves for both US and Japan made engines.
My question:
1) Are the valves for the US and Japan made engines interchangeable? If not, what are the differences between those parts?
2) Has anyone installed valves for the US engine in a Japan made engine and encountered any problems.
Your advice would be appreciated.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Honda Accord valves
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Anonymous Poster

Re: Are the Valves of the US and Japan made F23A1 engine interchangeable?

06/02/2010 11:46 PM

Don't know if the parts are the same but I would guess they are. The price difference is probably the import duties imposed on parts from Japan.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 35

06/03/2010 9:39 AM

You would be better off contacting the manufacturers for an answer to that question.

Cars sold in the United States are made to meet US criteria and are not necessarily the same car except for looks. We have different smog requirements and we place different demands on our automobiles then they do.

Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123

06/03/2010 10:37 AM

There Are only a few things that would cause that big a difference in the pricing. One is the boat ride from Asia. Another is the materials used in the valve. Ford used sodium filled exhaust valves that were very pricey. An exact matching valve made without the hollow stem and sodium was only a few dollars. The non lead gasoline available here may have required a specific grade of steel be used. Honda may have not felt the expected use here required setting up for hollow or hollow filled valves. The experts on the subject will be the Honda user web sites. Once you know the differences, you can decide if your expected usage will require valves made with exotic materials. Good luck.

06/04/2010 1:21 PM

Check out a honda forum ex. honda-tech.com, you'll get your answer pretty quickly. I'm willing to bet a lot of money they are the same. Why would you be wondering which to buy though?

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #4

06/04/2010 5:52 PM

I did place the same question on Honda-Tech.com and received virtually no replies. I suspect the valves have similar dimensions but have different metallurgy or treatment e.g. nitriding. I don't know how to reach the Honda engineers who know the answer. And I can't get an answer from Dokuro either, which made both valves, i.e. for the Japanese and the US engines. My question is whether the more expensive valves are actually better in service and no one seems to be able to answer that question.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

06/05/2010 2:51 AM

Hmm well do you have the JDM spec engine? If it's just the engine code F23A1 that's US spec and you could probably use either valves. Or do you know for sure you have a JDM engine and wondering if you can use the US ones?

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #6

06/05/2010 8:48 PM

Sealed Power insists that the single valve they make can be used in BOTH engines; Beck Arnley makes the same claim. I know I have the Japanese made engine from the VIN number. The F23A1 engine was made in both Japan and the US and the Honda dealer insists they are identical. The vast majority of engine parts are identical. The only exceptions are the valves, with different parts numbers as noted earlier, and the main and connecting bearings which differ according to the color code. Some bearings were made by Taiho, a Japanese manufacturer, and some were made by Glacier Vandervell, which I think is European.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123
In reply to #7

06/07/2010 1:01 PM

How are YOU driving the car? Any boost? Are you running up against the rev limiter often? Is the gas pedal on the floor more often than at idle? If not, why would you want to bother with the extra expence and time required for the different valves?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); bob c (2); DennisWaller (2); ElGuapo (2); Janissaries (1)

Previous in Forum: 2003 Cavalier Starting Problems   Next in Forum: Intermitant low power

Advertisement