Previous in Forum: Collapsing the Oil Well with Shape Charged Explosives   Next in Forum: Where Did Humanity Fail?
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 96

Mystery Crop Damage

06/11/2010 1:40 AM

http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-mystery-crop-damage,0,187535.story?track=rss

Mystery Crop Damage Threatens Hundreds Of Acres....

Something is killing crops, trees, even weeds and nobody can explain why.

Farmers are scratching their heads and some are worried their crops may be lost to the mysterious plague.

It's happening along a large swath of land near the Shelby and Tipton county border along Herring Hill Road and elsewhere near the Mississippi River bottoms.

Tiny dots appear to have burned onto leaves of all types of plants, and they appear different depending on the plant.

On corn stalks, the dots seem to turn white in the center.

On other plants, a white dust speckles the leaves and then destroys the green life underneath.

"We found it all in the herbs, in the flowers, in the plum tree, in the weeds," said organic farmer Toni Holt. "It's apparently in everything."

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 251

Re: Mystery Crop Damage

06/11/2010 2:48 AM

Sounds VERY alarming, but the article is now 6 days old. Is there any update?

Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Good Answers: 96
In reply to #1

06/11/2010 3:22 AM

This appears to be getting as much coverage as the Nashville flood—zero.

Speculation of gaseous absorbtion of Corexit 9500 to clouds or local chemical plant leak.

Cr4 members are close to the area

06/11/2010 6:59 AM

That's the problem with stories like these. Lots of ancedotal tales presented as evidence of something mysterious, with people trying to connect dots that may not be there. Little actual facts.

You want idle speculation? OK. My ouiji board tells me that more likely than not it's just an outbreak of some normally-rare fungus or other perfectly natural blight. Probably brought on by atypical weather conditions in the region, etc. Throw in some otherwise unremarkable accounts of dead birds for garnish. There's today's recepie for panic. Serves as many as care to sit at the table.

Or heck, maybe the SW corner of Tennessee is where the UFOs from Milplex-7 empty out their sewage holding tanks. Just as plausible.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Electrical Construction

Good Answers: 58

06/11/2010 8:01 AM

I have Googled several variations of "Memphis Mystery Crop Damage".

The common story I keep seeing (as of 5:00AM – 6/11/10-Central Time) there has been a discharge of Sulfur Trioxide from the Lucite Plant at Highway 51 and Fite Road just after 9AM Tuesday.

Highway 51 was shut down for a while and folks in the immediate area were evacuated from their homes.

What are we doing to our Mother Earth I ask?

EDIT: Why is bwire off topic? bwire stated "local chemical plant leak". Looks like bwire was right on this one.

GA from me bwire!

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 145

06/11/2010 4:43 PM

Even if the leak was unknown, a chemical cause is far more likely than a disease organism if it is affecting all kinds of plants. It would be very unlikely for one pathogen to be successful on everything growing in the area.

Still, another good reason to invest in portable RAMAN, there's no reason for such causes to be mysteries in this day and age.

Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 204
In reply to #2

06/12/2010 1:13 AM

that would be my first guess too... some coincidences aren't.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - New Member Australia - Member - Torn and breading Engineering Fields - Nanoengineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 74
In reply to #4

06/12/2010 8:42 PM

same here

United States - US - Statue of Liberty - Technical Fields - Education -

Good Answers: 14

06/14/2010 11:27 AM

Having watched the video, it would certainly appear to be some sort of chemical spill, or release into the atmosphere. Toni Holt, the organic farmer, is worried about her horses and chickens.

At this point, I would be worried about EVERYTHING in that area. It is obviously something in the air -- and these folks are all breathing it, or have breathed it. I guess the damage to plants is worse as it can settle on the plants and continue to damage over time -- and poison other creatures that eat contaminated plants.

What are the long term effects to humans going to be?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster

Not as bad as this, but these kind of events have effects and repercussions.

In reply to #3

06/15/2010 11:32 AM

I've been waiting for someone competent with a Ouija board. What about the JFK and RFK assassinations? And I definitely want more info. about the UFO's and aliens. And 9/11? Was that a conspiracy or even a "let it happen" deal? There is so much your Ouija board could tell us. But I'm wondering... how do you double-check it's results?

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Power-User
United States - US - Statue of Liberty - Technical Fields - Education -

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #9

06/15/2010 11:41 AM

Oh, that's easy. You get a second Ouija board! Or you can get one of those magic 8-balls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_8-Ball) or, if you are a real traditionalist, you can "raise a table." I had an aunt that could do that. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070206095528AA7RNbG

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); artsmith (1); bp01 (2); bwire (1); chrisg288 (1); Just an Engineer (1); KJK/USA (1); ky (1)

Previous in Forum: Collapsing the Oil Well with Shape Charged Explosives   Next in Forum: Where Did Humanity Fail?

Advertisement