Previous in Forum: More About Skunks   Next in Forum: Industrial Air Compressor
Close
Close
Close
8 comments

Good Answers: 1

LG Plasma Blue Haze

07/19/2010 1:05 PM

My 50" LG plasma TV (about 4 years old now) has recently begun showing what I can only describe as 'digital noise' at the top of the screen. It shows up as a field of blue pixels in a randomly shaped band about 1 1/2" thick across the top and sometimes only in the corners, of the viewing area. It only appears if that area of the screen is trying to display something very dark or black-ish, like a night scene. If that area is displaying any other sort of brighter color, like yellows or even whites, the blue pixels are not visible, (or at least, not obviously, nor easily, visible). This occurs even when viewing a DVD so I don't think my cable service is the culprit. It also seems to abate after the set 'warms up' for say 30 minutes.

Lastly, I'm also tempted to think that the set's quality may also be deteriorating and/or, this deterioration (if real) may be related to the blue noise. My daughter recently got a new LCD TV which absolutely blows away my set's image, which I once thought was the best quality on the planet. Then again, maybe it hasn't deteriorated and the new LCD's are just that much sharper and crisp? Has anyone else had a similar problem with LG's or any other similar plasma set? Is there some sort of 'degaussing' technique that might be done (and how?) to clear up the noise and perhaps even restore the image quality if the two in fact are related?

Thanks

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: LG plasma tv
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

Re: LG Plasma blue haze

07/19/2010 2:11 PM

I have a Hitachi 53" plasma TV about 2 yrs old now and the picture is still great, but anything plugged into the input doesn't have any sound. Sorry I can't help but, I thought I would let you know you're not the only one with plasma problems. Good luck.

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

Re: LG Plasma Blue Haze

07/19/2010 6:15 PM

Just some thoughts -- There may be some aging of the pixels occurring, where blue shows the aging first; or that the compensation circuit for the aging wasn't quite right. Have you run a color adjustment via the monitor's set-up menu? Perhaps by decreasing the blue channel setting the problem will go away. Or perhaps run a contrast and brightness adjustment? It may be that the video black level offset needs to be adjusted (similar to brightness offset on a CRT).

Since there is no shadow mask, like in a color CRT, I don't think there would be any need for degaussing. You could tell for sure by holding a magnet near the screen to see if the image or colors get distorted.

Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 22

07/19/2010 10:53 PM

I'm sure I heard on the grapevine, that plasma screens only do that when clandestine government agencies are operating audio and video surveillance equipment within a few inches of the plasma screen.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Power-User

Good Answers: 11

07/20/2010 12:11 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ykPsV2voYU

My friend owns a sport's bar that dropped a 48" plasma tv off it's mount, and it developed the strange bands and pockets of "black holes" that you may be experiencing. I doubt if it is specific to the manufacturer, but to the nature of the beast. The above link is a pretty good example of what we needed to do to get rid of the problems. In spite of having the top 20% affected, it came back to darn near 100. I found that hanging it upside down whilst torqueing the corners worked best.

Standard caveats apply to this answer, and a final caveat: HD tv's are the only products that I can think of that warrant buying the "extended warranty" on.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

07/20/2010 6:19 AM

Its definetly aging. Normally 60,000 Hrs is the normal life of a Good Plasma screen, definetly not LG. 4yrs of usage totalls upto approximate 8000 Hrs of usage, so its the quality of the TV make. Remember that Plasma TV are far superior to LCD's or LED's, But have limitations such as burn-out phenomena (same channels if veiwed for prolonged periords..like the display boards at airports etc. will cause the plasma gas to inherit the maximum exposed colour scheme. You need is to go back to the Dealer and lodge a compain using the life of the TV. The panel is easily replacable. LED's and LCD do not have this burn out issue but not like a plasma which gives you realtime picture.

Sometimes you got to check on the room temperature where the TV is located and the voltage issues.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Power-User

07/20/2010 6:38 AM

I am looking at tv's now. So would you recomend lcd over plasma?

In reply to #6

07/20/2010 8:34 AM

I would recommend LCD's if for no other reason than the plasma sets are huge energy hogs by comparison. The image quality differences I see so clearly are when comparing my 4-year old plasma to new LCD; I don't know if new-vs.-new would show the same 'gap' in image quality. When I first had mine installed, we got all the usual 'ooohs' and 'aahhhs' from friends and neighbors. "It' like they're right here in your living room" was a common reaction. While the image is still good, and beats old CRT-type tv's handily, no one says that anymore about our older plasma, but we do say it about the new LCD's. So in addition to the energy penalty, plasma's may show obvious deterioration of quality that I'm not sure is (as?) evident in LCD's. Would any LCD set owners care to opine?

Anyway, only your own eyes can determine whether one type set's picture quality is superior to another and, as usual, I would be cautious about drawing conclusions at the retailer. Each manufacturer has parameter settings designed to make their sets 'pop' when in a store. On top of that, savvy store managers might have tweaked a 'weaker' set even further to try and move it out of inventory. Check their settings (brightness, sharpness, contrast, color level, etc.) to see if one set has been 'cranked' beyond its competitors before you shell out $1,500 or more.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

07/20/2010 11:46 AM

Plasma screens have a limited life. Good ones last longer. Like Gentlemen!!!

In the last 4 years or so, LCD screens have dramatically improved in quality, particularly with regard to black. 4 years ago 1000:1 was considered good, today its like 10,000:1 with some sets going even higher......

Also, the "shadow" has been fixed for all the screens that I have seen over the last year or so, which was what I hated about LCDs......

When you bought yours, plasma was the best, but today.......

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (1); Anonymous Poster (1); Doobster6 (1); mrclean (1); OldTechNewToys (1); Oregoon (1); rustyh2o (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: More About Skunks   Next in Forum: Industrial Air Compressor

Advertisement