Previous in Forum: About Mechatronics   Next in Forum: 555 Timer To Control Motors
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Active Contributor

Control Box for Hot Stamping Machine

03/24/2007 8:31 AM

I am looking for a small control box to operate my old hot stamping machine and cost very little. If anyone have an idea. Thank you for suggestions.

Regards,

Thada

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: electrical engineering
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Australia - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - H316 - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Location: Port Noarlunga, South Australia, AUSTRALIA (South of Adelaide)
Good Answers: 75

Re: Control Box for Hot Stamping Machine

03/25/2007 7:36 AM

Hi Thada,

A miniature or micro Programmable Logic Controller PLC is probably the best solution. You can get small ones for around US$100 that can be programmed from a PC. Here is a link to the GlobalSpec site that lists the major manufactures of PLC. If you click on the controls on the left you can filter the list by selecting the parameters suitable to your application.

If you are unfamiliar with what a PLC is and what it can do, post your queries here and I will do my best to answer them.

In reply to #1

03/25/2007 11:33 AM

hi

plz tell me more about plc and what is the relation between it and automatic control , and how can i learn it .

Register to Reply
Guru
Australia - Member - New Member Fans of Old Computers - H316 - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

In reply to #2

03/25/2007 3:22 PM

A Programmable Logic Controller is a specialized microprocessor base computer that is specifically designed to control real world devices like electric motors, valves etc.

It consists of a series of inputs that can be wired directly to mains voltages, a processing system that runs the program and a set of outputs that can be wired directly to mains voltage loads. They require no additional circuitry or isolation to interface with the real world.

The program that you supply is then used to interpret the inputs and switch the outputs accordingly. There are a wide variety of programming languages that are used but primarily the resemble a ladder diagram similar to what you would see in a switchboard. Here is an example of the sort of ladder diagram program you might see.

---]1[--------------]2[------------------------------(10)

In this example we have two normally open inputs numbered 1 and 2 and a single output numbered 10. When both 1 and 2 have power to them anything connected to output 10 will be turned on.

This is a very simple example and a PLC can do some extremely complex things using timers, counters, analogue inputs, control loops, stepper motor control, date time functions and just about anything else you can imagine. In fact it is normally ones imagination that that limits what you can do with a PLC.

How many items do you need to monitor and devices are there that require controlling are then on your hot stamping machine? Another thing is what mains voltage do you use and where are you located?

That will give you an overview of what they can do, they are not difficult to program and can perform some very complex control functions. I have certainly use them to control fairly complex processes like production lines.

In reply to #3

03/25/2007 3:46 PM

Dear Masu:

I understand what you are trying to explain. I have a 110VAC coming in and DC12V transformer to the pcb boards and some relays to activate when air is on for my air cylinders with solinoids. This is very difficult for me to explain to you. My be I should work on my small pcb to get it working for now. In the past I have work with GE pc junior control system, but I have an electronic person installed.

Thank you very much,

Thada

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

03/26/2007 4:33 AM

If everything you are trying to switch or sense is low voltage then you may be able to a microcontroller. There are several kits on the market that have just about everything you would need on the board. Have a look at the PICkit 2, it can't switch anything that has a heavy load but adding circuitry is fairly easy.

The thing about a PLC is that you can buy them off the shelf and connect them directly to you machine without adding any additional circuitry. You can get IO cards for them that operate with the low voltages you are dealing with here.

There are two main parts to the concept of a PLC.

• They are an off the shelf device that can be used to interface and control machinery without the addition of any additional circuitry to sense or control electric and electromechanical equipment
  • The operation of the equipment is completely controlled by the program that the user supplies and requires no special equipment to operate.

The real advantage of using a PLC is that everything you need to make them work can be purchased in an off the shelf package. Because the functionality is completely dependent of the program that the user supplies it means that they can easily be modified. For example if you find that you need to slow the process down because the machine has worn over time you can easily do this by modifying the program that the PLC uses to interpret the inputs and drive the outputs. Another advantage is that if you decide that you wish to expand the system by adding additional inputs of outputs it is a simple matter if wiring the new equipment and updating the program the PLC is using.

PLCs are incredibly versatile off the shelf system that are easy to configure, wire and program and you will find it very difficult to do it cheaper or as simple.

In reply to #5

03/26/2007 9:04 PM

Dear Masu:

I end up replaceing some components, NED photocoupler, NTE scr transistor 400V 25A, 334J100V capacitor and I double check all contacts, now I got an input to my dc motor. Everything is OK now. Thank you very much.

Thada

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

03/27/2007 8:06 AM

I'm glad you got it fixed! Starting from scratch is a big job and if you can avoid it it's usually the best way to go.

United States - Member - I am a Yankee Doodle Boy. Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - Old School is the best school. Safety - ESD - Safety Mgr that keeps the peace Hobbies - DIY Welding - My Motto:

Good Answers: 26

03/26/2007 1:41 PM

If your looking for just a controller for you existing System I would suggest LMC. Lutz Manufacturing Company. They specialize in hot stamping systems and have a great deal of expierence in this area. You can reach them at

(520) 417-9210 in the USA. I believe Hank is the one you need to talk to.

In reply to #6

03/26/2007 1:51 PM

double j b,

Do you have the company web?

Thanks,

Thada

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #6

03/26/2007 8:57 PM

Thank you, I end up replacing a NEC photocoupler and NTE scr transistor, also one of the capacitor, now I got a signal to my timer and dc motor is working.

Thanks,

Thada

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (4); double_j_b (1); masu (4); Thada (1)

Previous in Forum: About Mechatronics   Next in Forum: 555 Timer To Control Motors
You might be interested in: Hot Stamping Foils, Stamping Services

Advertisement