Previous in Forum: Asteroid 2005 YU55   Next in Forum: A Breakthrough Rotorcraft Technology
Close
Close
Close
15 comments

Hurtling thru space at tens of thousands of miles per hour.

05/31/2011 3:02 PM

Hurtling thru space at tens of thousands of miles per hour.

400 Meters in Diameter, thats huge. That is 1355 feet.That is about 30% bigger then the Asteroid Apophis. To put that in perspective - layout a grid of 16 square football fields each 100 yards by 100 Yards. Now connect them all in a square and put this Asteroid in the center and you would not see any of thoes football fields.

If it did hit us? Well I read an estimate on Apophis being something like the equivalent of 65,000 Atomic bombs so lets call this one an even 100,000 atomic bombs hitting all in one place at one time……

But according to NASA it will pass within 0.85 lunar distances from the Earth on November 8, 2011. NO IMPACT!! The closest approach to Earth and the Moon will be respectively 0.00217 AU and 0.00160 AU on 2011 November 8 at 23:28 and November 9 at 07:13 UT.

*ALOT* of people are ignorant,lazy,selfish,and self-centered these days. maybe this little post will wake up a few of you. ¥ probably not tho ¥

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282

Re: Hurtling thru space at tens of thousands of miles per hour.

05/31/2011 3:03 PM

Wow...

Aren't you supposed to be working or something?

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

05/31/2011 3:32 PM

Well, I could see parts of them. Doesn't that count?

Good Answers: 110
In reply to #2

06/07/2011 2:13 PM

For me, the sheer hideousness of the catastrophe that will occur when this thing gets close to earth, would be made more clear and tangible if you showed the goal posts. (While I understand your motives in trying to calm us with smiley faces, this is the time, I think, to first really understand the problem -- let's not sugar coat it ... yet.) . An object 1/4 mile across is already easy to imagine for many of us, but I like the idea of adding abstraction and confusion with the square football field idea -- and of course the elegantly confounding fact that a 400 yard circle fits within the confines of a 400 yard square, rather than completely obliterating the square. Having to think about this helps to make it seem real.

I wonder if it would help to heighten the sense of danger by suggesting that if this thing were actually sitting on this hypothetical 400 x 400 field, most observers would actually see almost the whole field. On some days, there would be a scary shadow under the monster. To see only the corners of the field, one would need to be several miles up in space (sticklers would say at infinity), rather than living in our 3D world, where such a sphere would rest on a theoretical point.

If there remains anyone not frightened??? by this, I can only suggest a trip to Epcot center. Many people faint when they see Spaceship Earth, because they worry that it could "come loose" and roll over them, or perhaps be flung into space by centrifugal force (during a gravity glitch) only to plummet back down to crush us all when gravity returns to normal.

While the size of this killer is astounding, the closeness is even more so. .85 lunar units is not much more than 200,000 miles away. To make that more tangible, that's just the combined length of some earth worms. If we assume 10,000 earthworms (night crawlers) per mile, that distance is then only 2 billion earthworms! If each earthworm were a dollar, that number would equal just .3% of our military budget! That's close!

Scary. It cannot possibly be a coincidence that the rapture has been rescheduled for almost the same time that this monster will show up.

Good Answers: 1662

05/31/2011 3:37 PM

"*ALOT* of people are ignorant,lazy,selfish,and self-centered these days. maybe this little post will wake up a few of you. ¥ probably not tho ¥"

Ace, you left incoherent off your list. You are also starting to repeat yourself.

Are you off your meds, again? There's a good lad, now go and take those pills.

Guru
United States - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Electrical Construction

Good Answers: 58

05/31/2011 3:50 PM

Auntie Em, Auntie Em, the sky is falling, the sky is falling, Oh Auntie Em!!!!!!!!

couldn't help myself...I'm off to the naughty step now

In reply to #4

05/31/2011 3:53 PM

Don't take my spot. I've got my name carved in it.

Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

05/31/2011 3:57 PM

You haven't bothered to tell us what you are talking about, but I have a feeling it is 2005 YU55.

I reviewed the Sentry Risk Table, and have discovered the object of your obsession was removed from the Risk Table on 22 April, 2010. As it says in the log of removed NEO's: "As the set of available observations for a given object grows we are often able to rule out previous potential impacts as no longer consistent with the observations. The following table gives a listing of such objects for which all previously detected potential impacts have been eliminated."

"... ignorant,lazy,selfish,and self-centered these days. maybe this little post will wake up a few of you."

Ignorant? Well, maybe. Lazy and selfish? You bet. Self Centered? Do you have a minute? Let me tell you how self centered I am... maybe this little post will wake up a few of you." Can I go back to sleep now?

Canada - Member - If there is a way to screw someting up, there is someone to do so! Safety - Hazmat - New Member

Good Answers: 140

05/31/2011 5:04 PM

Now come on guys... it is clear why this fine gent has been so persistent on this issue, he is opening up a "Asteroid, Comet and Other Astronomical Body Threat Insurrance Agency".

Get your policy now while you can.

In reply to #7

05/31/2011 7:20 PM

At least he hedged his bets by holding off till after May 21st. No sense starting a campaign like this if all your best customers have raptured on up the the next level.

In reply to #8

06/01/2011 8:58 AM

LOL.

Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

05/31/2011 10:16 PM

Please stop; I'm bored...please stop; I'm bored...please stop; I'm bored. (I think this is the fourth repetition of the same basic idea, but maybe I've lost count.)

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

06/01/2011 3:55 AM

Try switching to decaf.

06/01/2011 8:55 AM

LOL look u dis' this post but WHY this comment it's out to inform .So i guess it's worken good or bad it's getten out there.Å

Guru

In reply to #11

06/01/2011 8:58 AM

CR4 a waste of time? Perish the thought!

Good Answers: 143

06/01/2011 12:10 PM

You do realize November 8 is election day. Somewhere there will be the first honest politician ever elected to city council. He'll be jumping up and down in front of a window, yelling, "I won! I won! Now, there'll be big change . . . oh, darn."

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

ace2005006 (2); Doorman (3); K_Fry (1); KJK/USA (1); lyn (3); North of 60 (1); PWSlack (1); Tornado (1); TVP45 (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Asteroid 2005 YU55   Next in Forum: A Breakthrough Rotorcraft Technology

Advertisement