Previous in Forum: Thickness of Activated Carbon Layers, Fine/Coarse Sand   Next in Forum: Mixing Up Tube-Fittings
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 20

What Books Are Vital for a New M.E.?

07/18/2011 8:31 AM

I want to know what you folks think are the books every new ME should have on the shelf. I am not asking for the definitive list of volumes collected over time, just the basics.

Let's say a new graduating ME has U$250.00 to put books on the shelf at his/her first job. What should they be?

-A-

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

Re: What Books Are Vital for a New M.E.?

07/18/2011 9:17 AM

Kempe's Engineers' Yearbook. Any edition. A 1990 one appeared recently in a charity bookshup for £5GBP. It wasn't there long.

Good Answers: 1663

07/18/2011 10:31 AM

All your text books and a copy of Machinery's Handbook.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
United States - Member - USA! Hobbies - Musician - Sound Man Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - More than a Hobby Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 99

07/18/2011 11:53 AM

There is also a "Engineers Black book" that may come in handy as it's small and can fit into tight places, and provide quick access to formulas/tables etc... And it's not too much $$.

And of course, keep your old textbooks.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Aeromarine Vehicle Engineer

Good Answers: 5

07/18/2011 11:57 AM

Mark's Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers. It covers practically everything a mechanical engineer would ever encounter in their worklife.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

07/18/2011 11:59 AM

Do you mean the Pocket REF, complied by Thomas Glover?

Have one, great suggestion and they're only $10.00USD

This probably qualifies as an endorsement, but I'm looking at mine right now. It's in the top right hand drawer of my desk, where I keep all my essential stuff. (Super glue, pliers, screwdrivers, keys, gas card, pyrometer, dictionary, etc.)

Oh, yes, definitely add a dictionary to the list.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

07/18/2011 12:01 PM

Excelent suggestions so far! Thanks. The only addendum I would suggest is to replace "Kempe's Engineers' Yearbook" with Marks Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers if you happen to be stateside.

I wonder how much money we are talking about so far?

-A-

Good Answers: 6

07/18/2011 5:42 PM

If you are a graduate from a four year institution upon starting employment I would reveiw community/technical institute texts that could be applicable to your job.

Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - Popular Science - Weaponology -

Good Answers: 39
In reply to #2

07/18/2011 6:05 PM

GA.

Machinery's Handbook first and foremost.

Since budget is an issue, I'd suggest going on Amazon. ebay, etc., or someplace similar and getting an edition that is one or two or three editions old. Get a version that has the thumb tab cut-outs for easier use.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819
In reply to #6

07/19/2011 3:58 AM

About £20GBP.

In reply to #9

07/19/2011 8:17 AM

There's one in every crowd.

07/19/2011 8:37 AM

Two things made me want to post this question. 1) I read recently someone complain that there are not many questions these days on CR4, and that somehow indicated that this site was in decline. 2) I am astounded by many of the questions that come in, in their deep fundamental lack of understanding of the principles of engineering.

I suppose the issue at hand is that, rather than this being an "engineer's place for discussion," it is more of a "place for non-engineers to come and ask questions." That's cool, no problem. I should remind my self of this more often. Rather this, than continue to be afraid for the populations of those places where some of these questions come out of.

BTW, some of the best, wittiest, and most insightful answers I have read come from people whom I have come to think of as "non-indoctrinated engineers." (I'm willing to bet that the good-answer-to-post ratio leader board is lead by the non-degreed.)

-A-

In reply to #8

07/19/2011 10:42 AM

Thanks.

There's always birthdays and Christmas, too, but used should be fine. Not much has changed in mechanical engineering over the years.

It's amazing what you can find on-line now, too.

These guys : ASME - Home may help aspiring engineers gather books, too.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 12 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

-A- (3); Coldspot (1); Gannet (1); lyn (3); Out of Box Experience (1); PWSlack (2); RVZ717 (1)

Previous in Forum: Thickness of Activated Carbon Layers, Fine/Coarse Sand   Next in Forum: Mixing Up Tube-Fittings

Advertisement