Previous in Forum: 25 Gallon Air Compressor Locked Up   Next in Forum: Recuperacion
Close
Close
Close
50 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

Tribute to Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

10/05/2011 9:42 PM

Steve was born the same year I was. I grew up with Apple products from the first Apple II when I started college to the Mac Pros on my desk today. I have owned almost every Apple product made at one point, including the Lisa.

Sadly, today marks another page in that story with Steve's passing. Steve did more than his share to shape our very lives and the way we interact with the digital world around us.

Steve, I raise my glass to you. You have given more to this world than most people could imagine in both subtle and overt ways.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: Tribute to Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

10/05/2011 9:48 PM

A true genius!

As you say, a profound influence on mankind.

I don't have an "I" anything, but I still feel the loss.

Register to Reply
Guru
India - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 163

10/05/2011 10:13 PM

Amen. What a man ! What a visionary ! Thank you, Steve, for having lived. And having left a legacy of excellence.

Location: Ground Zero of the Pompous and self important....Washington DC
Good Answers: 8

10/06/2011 8:55 AM

I agree, Steve was a visionary, while I never really got into some of their products, I've been a Microsoft guy from almost the beginning because that is what my employers used. I have dabbled with a Hackintosh, and I am a big fan of iPods.

Sure they had a few flops ovr the years, but what company hasn't, when you try to invent new markets everything won't work, but they have had a lot of stellar successes under his leadership. Apple and the world will not be the same without him. Who knows what products we may never get to know without him.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661

10/06/2011 9:05 AM

That's the great thing about the development of computing it's pretty much happened in our lifetime (with appologies to Mr Babbage).
Steve Jobs was there at the right time to bring it from obscurity into the pubic gaze...ok it was a few tech guys to start with but that was the fun, we've seen it grow and he did it.
Yup I raise my mug of tea to him, he's probably somewhere now, improving the hardware and user interface.
Del

United States - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Electrical Construction

Good Answers: 58

10/06/2011 9:59 AM

Later Steve

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #4

10/06/2011 10:10 AM

I have a buddy that used to work in Silicon Valley and got to meet him a couple of times. To say that he was a visionary and driven would be an understatement.

There's only one thing I wish he would have done that he didn't......................license his operating system to the major computer manufacturers. It would have changed history, and probably saved all of us a lot of headaches.

RIP Steve and Thanks.

Good Answers: 44

10/06/2011 10:42 AM

Well done Anon...

Those smart guys at Apple were always my heroes when I first got into computing. I still vividly remember surfing the web (as it were) in the 90's on an Apple Macintosh...ahhh Lynx, I remember you well.

Thanks Steve...you did it all

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #6

10/06/2011 11:59 AM

Actually, Apple did license their Mac operating system as a last ditch attempt to turn Apple around (I think under John Sculley).

Unfortunately, that was not working and it was one of the first things that Steve Jobs got rid of when he took the reigns.

Apparently, that decision and a number of others did the trick.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

10/06/2011 12:23 PM

It was a little late.

Now most of us are on an OS that is the result of marketing genius rather than computer genius. Okay, maybe a little harsh, but still...........

There were certainly decisions made that did the trick and turned them around. Mostly made by Steve himself. Not only decisions, but pure unadulterated passion.

In reply to #9

10/06/2011 1:13 PM

It depends on what your yardstick for success is.

Apple was about profit.

Microsoft was about market share.

Apple may have a minority hold on the PC market, but they are the biggest company on Earth in terms of net worth.

As a business owner I will take profit over market share any day.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

10/06/2011 1:42 PM

I wasn't trying to turn a tribute into an argument.

I think the Apple OS is superior. That's all.

In reply to #11

10/06/2011 1:58 PM

OSx is just a Cousin to Ubuntu. OSx is based on Unix, Ubuntu is Linux based, linux is for all purposes Unix....just an open source version.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

10/06/2011 2:02 PM

Just the more successful and highly functional cousin who actually buys their own clothes, food, cars, house, etc...and is about 20 years older and actually never knew their cousin when they were growing up.

Yeah, that cousin.

p.s., It's actually a direct descendant of NeXTSTEP with a little Free BSD mingled in.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 646

10/06/2011 2:08 PM

Steve Jobs' genius was to take what others had invented, realize the potential, and make those things work smoothly and effectively.

Neither Jobs, nor Apple, invented the GUI (graphical user interface) that made the Macintosh so revolutionary. The GUI concept was invented at SRI (Stanford Research International) and further developed at Xerox PARC. Xerox PARC also invented the rolling ball 'mouse' that made the Macintosh system so easy to use. (Had SRI or Xerox PARC patented their work, Apple may never have come to exist as we know it.)

Jobs, and Apple, took those concepts and applied them to personal computing. They became the standard which all other operating systems have used since. Genius.

In reply to #14

10/06/2011 2:16 PM

WIMP...

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #14

10/06/2011 2:19 PM

Jobs had over 200 patents to his name.

In reply to #13

10/06/2011 2:19 PM

Well, its been tweaked and fine tuned to work on a fairly limited range of hardware.

I've been dinking around with a HACKINTOSH. Basicly Apple OSx 10.5.6 loaded and running on in my case a Dell D600 Latitude. Just trying to broaden my PC experience a bit beyond Microsoft stuff.

It has strengths for one reason...and weaknesses for another that have lept it a small player.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

10/06/2011 2:43 PM

And Microsoft isn't about profit.

Good Answers: 31
In reply to #16

10/06/2011 2:58 PM

Patents for work that others did for him but since he was boss his name was first in line.

At least I won't have to change channels when the news shows Apple presenting a new product now.

My first PC was an Apple II+ 48K ram with a language card that brought it up to a whole 64K.

I always liked the Woz better.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #19

10/06/2011 3:02 PM

Are you trying to say that Apple won't come out with anything new now? Tim Cook has been acting CEO since January.

In reply to #18

10/06/2011 3:45 PM

Its a business, none of them are non-profits. And even non profits make money, they have paid staffs, and some make very good money in many cases. The non-profit many times is smoke and mirrors and about accounting tricks to keep it below a certain target to count.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #18

10/06/2011 3:53 PM

It is the tactic you take that I was making a point about.

Microsoft saw market share as the means to that end.

Apple saw it was more important to make a profit first and worry about market share much further down the list.

Guru

In reply to #22

10/06/2011 4:48 PM

I know, I know.

I could argue that part of it was profit. The other part was Steve's hard headed nature, and his insistence that his baby stay in his hands and control. I think that may have played a bigger role than profit.

I got sucked into DOS early. I never heard an Apple/Mac user gripe and complain like people on MS.

Steve knew he had a superior product. He didn't recognize Bill Gates as a threat back in those days. I think some of his decisions were at least as much ego driven as profit driven.

Good Answers: 129
In reply to #12

10/06/2011 6:40 PM

You seem to have 'chicken and egg' confusion.

Good Answers: 12

10/07/2011 1:03 AM

Tribute to a true genius!

Good Answers: 25

10/07/2011 7:43 AM

Steve Jobs, you did your Job very well. Hats off to You.

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #23

10/07/2011 11:07 AM

Time-Warner collects $2million/yr from the song Happy Birthday to You. They didn't write the song, they just filed copywrites to it. So essentially, you can't sing Happy Birthday without paying them royalties if you sing it in public.

10/07/2011 11:19 AM

On another note, which is ironic. Westboro Church is picketing Steve Job's funeral.

The ironic part of this is the Westboro member that tweeted the Westboro intentions did it from their iPod.

I guess Westboro has nothing else better to do but to do Satan's dirty work.

10/07/2011 11:41 AM

This started as a heartfelt tribute to Steve Jobs by AH. Most people joined. Then money came into it. i have read about many geniuses to whom money was the by-product of that wonderful creation that they not only dreamed about, but sacrificed most things in their lives to achieve.

How many millions did the Curies, Tesla, Mozart (yes, i include him and his kind) make for themselves? i daresay that if Steve had been given the option of his passion vs his money, he would have chosen the former. i have actually met one person of his kind....Sir C V Raman, whose house is a 100 yards from mine. He did not know what money was. Promptly lost the cash part of his Nobel Prize. And smiled about it. In the 1940's, his expenses were ≈ $1 per month. He said he didn't know what to do with anything more.....

Please do not sully the memory of a great man by talk of money.

"If you have to talk, talk only good things" as my sainted mother used to say.

In reply to #29

10/07/2011 12:04 PM

I don't know anything about the finances for Pierre and Marie Curie, but I am pretty sure Tesla and Mozart were not rich at all and died pretty much broke. Mozart's body was dumped in a hole with other "peasants" when he died. Tesla was destitute when he died.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #30

10/07/2011 12:33 PM

Steve Jobs was worth $11 billion when he died.

One comment I heard on the Radio this morning about him was that despite all his riches he wasn't pretentious like Bill Gates had become. That he was always an easy going man. However he was shrewed in business.

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 17

10/07/2011 4:35 PM

In my opinion Steve was the Edison of our times. Most know of what he did with apple. He also started Nexus computers. He was the push behind Pixar, which has revolutionized the film industry, and he returned Disney to profitability. Like Edison he did not do all the work/experiments himself, but he was the directory of them. Better than Edison he was a humble man.

Hope for more like him!

10/08/2011 3:15 AM

I am puzzled how Steve who left college after 6 months and did not have any technical qualification but could design most sophisticated and innovative products for Apple. His brain must be extra ordinary. It means that formal education is not necessary to be inventor, it is only your beautiful mind that can create innovations.

While addressing American University students he said that he did not have money to eat well. He used to walk 7 miles on Sunday night to "Hare Rama Hare Krishna Temple" for free big dinner. May be his religious attitude had helped him to develop such a brain.

He also wandered in Himalaya in search of his Guru whom he unfortunately could not meet.What a great intelligent and spiritual soul. May God Give him Peace.

In reply to #33

10/08/2011 7:41 AM

College does not teach you as much about being an engineer as it does teach you "where to find information".

That is self evident with every new college grad new hire I have seen. They know how to engineer in a basic way, but have no specific knowledge about the job. They learn that on the job.

If you come out of college with anything it is that you are teachable and that is what I look for in new hires.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #34

10/08/2011 11:49 AM

Oh that is so very true.....how many recent graduates think they know everything there is to know, only to find out they really know nothing about a day or two into their first job.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #34

10/09/2011 3:25 AM

I did my Production Engineering from Victoria Jubliee Technical Institute Mumbai. This course was started by Britisher Mr.Alex Miller who had earlier worked in Indian Ordnance Factories. He felt that Mechanical Engineering graduates did not posses practical experience of shop floor. He selected subjects such as Production Processes, Production Management, Tool Engineering, Machine Design etc. Industry was after all boys who completed this course and gave them good jobs.So it depends on your selection course.

Good Answers: 129

10/09/2011 3:29 AM

iDied

Too soon?

In reply to #36

10/09/2011 8:10 AM

The main reason you want new grads are:

1. They are cheap.

2. They are ambitious and want to make a contribution.

3. They bring new ideas to the company.

The downsides are a total lack of experience, but as long as they are willing to work hard, learn, and play on the team you have a good investment.

Many of our universities have internment programs where future grads spend a portion of each academic year working for a company. It usually adds an extra year to the total graduation time, but they gain experience and may end up working for one of the companies they intern at. Win-win.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #38

10/09/2011 1:02 PM

Yes Hero, my during my Production Engineering course we had to work for 6 months in factory after 6 months classes. It was good to learn shop floor experience and practical experience.

In reply to #30

10/12/2011 11:18 AM

Thank you for the Tesla part. I am sure there are much better comparisons out there.

How about some sports "heroes"? Geniuses of the gridiron...

Guru

In reply to #37

10/12/2011 11:20 AM

Never too soon...

I think he would have laughed

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114

10/12/2011 12:51 PM

SJ was a genius

he helped come up with a comprehensive personal information technology solution

what could be better for those who have more money than time for such things?

when you are looking at a market to operate in the high end is attractive

apple products are a step or so below having your own IT department...

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 80

10/12/2011 5:25 PM

I hope this isn't what Obama meant by "shovel ready Jobs"! Groan....

In reply to #43

10/12/2011 8:34 PM

Aha!.....Ditch Diggers.....that's what he means by shovel ready, or of course grave diggers.

Register to Reply
Guru

10/12/2011 8:53 PM

Someone said that Steve was humble. This is not entirely true.

He was humble on his spiritual quest..................which is necessary.

He was not humble at all in his quest to improve human existence...............he was a lion.

In reply to #45

10/12/2011 9:49 PM

As I think I've said...I'm not an Apple person for a number of reasons, but you have to give credit where credit is due. The man was damn good at his job. Damn good.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #46

10/12/2011 10:01 PM

A Lion.

No need to go further.

Every Lion leaves behind victims. It's called survival.

In reply to #45

10/18/2011 11:01 AM

If you would have followed his quest He was (in order of conquest) a Kodiak, Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard and then finally he was a Lion

10/21/2011 4:02 AM

Now that we have got over the sorrow of losing Steve, here is the authentic update...he is in the right place, and has got his first assignment.....

In reply to #49

10/21/2011 7:45 AM

iTablet.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 50 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

34point5 (2); Anonymous Hero (7); cuba_pete (5); Del the cat (1); Garthh (1); Janissaries (3); jhowdy (1); KJK/USA (1); kramarat (7); kvsridhar (3); kvsubramanyam (1); lyn (1); russ123 (1); silvCrow (1); Smoothy (7); suresh sharma (4); thall (3); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: 25 Gallon Air Compressor Locked Up   Next in Forum: Recuperacion

Advertisement