Previous in Forum: Calculation of Steering System Moments   Next in Forum: Foot Pounds of Torque Calculation
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 20

Fluid Flow Software Question

03/13/2012 12:26 PM

Folks,

Currently I use a Pipe Flow software for fluid flow calcs that is giving me pains.

Is there such a thing as a pipe flow program that I can purchase once and install without having to pay thousands of dollars in annual fees?

Maybe I should pay the $5k-$15k a year to these folks, but insofar as I can tell the only service they provide is to renew my passwords.

What do y'all use, and does it give you value for the investment?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194

Re: Fluid Flow Software Question

03/13/2012 1:35 PM
Anonymous Poster #1

03/14/2012 1:02 AM

Who is the vendor of Pipe flow? There seems to be more than one on the market with this name. How complex is your system and what is the problem you have? Seems talking to the vendor did not get you somewhere, is this right?

Do you need transient flow or only steady state? For the first one you looking at more bucks to spend. It is as it is.

It is not acceptable if you get a bad service from the vendor. You can ask to lease software or have a consultant doing it for you. Depends on how frequently you use it.

I am working in the industry so I post anonym in case you use our software! :-)

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #2

03/14/2012 1:18 AM

He has stated his problem. The open-source software may not have all the bells and whistles of $20,000/year license software. To use this type of software to obtain necessary information, bells and whistles are immaterial unless you are in a quick-design, high-competition environment. Other that that, all you have to offer is service. How is yours?

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Mining Engineering - Member United States - Member - Member Popular Science - Weaponology - Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - Member Hobbies - Car Customizing - Member

Good Answers: 7

03/14/2012 8:01 AM

Look at Flow Master. Not too expensive, and works fairly well.

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

In reply to #4

03/14/2012 9:03 AM

I will. Thank you.

-A-

In reply to #3

03/14/2012 9:49 AM

Thank you Mikerho.

-A-

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #3

03/14/2012 11:10 PM

Well I see two problems. One is the program is giving him pains. I take this as detailed description of his problem and assume it does not do what he wants it to do. Will a another maybe free program do it? Maybe. Can we tell him? No since we don't know what the expectations are what the program needs to do. So question is what expectations are there?

Second problem I see: the program is too expensive. Whether it is for the functions it does not have or for the support that is not there is not easily to grasp. Maybe the problem is money altogether and the question should have been for free programs. But it wasn't. Is OP in a quick design high competition environment? I can not see it, where did you get this from? If so we talking probably steady state to make a clumsy prediction of what could be. I would not like to pay 20k a year for this. I am sure open-source software offers some service, but will this be enough?

As for our service it think we have a pretty good setup. Anybody who says it is perfect lies and I cant talk for everybody in my company. I am sure if somebody approaches us with a problem or needs a new feature we can react and implement this if it is feasible. This shall put us on the higher range of the market.

If there is still interest from the OP I can PM him and get him on a way.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 37

03/15/2012 10:26 AM

I use H2ONet by Innovyze (one of many programs they have). Purchase once and pay again only when there's an upgrade that you want. The capabilities are tremendous and has more bells and whistles than what I use it for about 90% of the time. The program I use is integrated with CAD although I'm sure they have stand alone stuff too.

Positives: The software can model nearly anything I can dream up.

Negatives: The software has a poorly designed user interface that makes learning the software difficult for new users. I've found that even as I got comfortable and adept at using the software that for "simple" models (<20 or 30 nodes) it is often quicker to do the calculations by hand.

If this particular program can be used as an indicator for the rest of their software, they will likely have one to suit your needs (hopefully one that has a better GUI than H2ONet).

Good Answers: 11

03/30/2012 10:38 AM

-A-

I've been using AFT Fathom here and it's pretty user friendly. I don't know how it will work with non-newtonian fluids though. It basically gives me pressure drops in the system.

No idea what the cost is though.

Another program is ANSYS FLUENT . It will do just about anything you want it to. If I remember right it has an optional yearly maintenance/updates fee of about $8k. The problem is it cost like $45 to purchase. It's overkill for network pressure drops though.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 9 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

-A- (2); Anonymous Poster (2); ChaoticIntellect (1); cingold (1); Mikerho (2); Old Coal Man (1)

Previous in Forum: Calculation of Steering System Moments   Next in Forum: Foot Pounds of Torque Calculation

Advertisement