Previous in Forum: Dock in Callao Lima Peru   Next in Forum: Girdir Design For EOT Crane
Close
Close
Close
22 comments

Pillowblock Bearings

05/04/2012 4:53 PM

Can a pillowblock bearing be mounted in any direction? We have two bearings with a shaft driven by a motor vertically. We are burning up bearings quite often. All of this mechanism is above an oven at about 400 degrees when operating.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1728

Re: Pillowblock Bearings

05/04/2012 5:42 PM

Yes...First I would check that they are high temp bearings...If they are, then I would consider doubling up the bearing, one just above the other, or going with a more heavy duty type....

http://www.hightempbearings.com/

Good Answers: 1662

05/04/2012 5:46 PM

You don't say what kind of bearing, and is that 400° F or C or K?

Register to Reply

In reply to #2

05/04/2012 6:10 PM

The brand is Seal Master and the temp is 400 F.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 16

05/04/2012 6:14 PM

Not all Pillowblock Bearings no.... Best to specify the bearing type and the loads you are applying, the weight of the vertical assembly, the type of lubricant used.

Wouldn't hurt to be a little more specific on the actual temperature of this bearing and not the oven.

Register to Reply

In reply to #4

05/04/2012 6:19 PM

we shot the shaft temp just above the bearing at about 400 degrees F. This is as close to the bearing as we can get. I was concerned about the strain of the bearing mounted vertical, I don't know if it is aftermarket or oem.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

05/04/2012 6:33 PM

What I meant was what type of bearing? Is it designed for vertical loading AND high temperature operation, and finally what does your bearing supplier say about this?

Does the bearing look like this?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 774

05/04/2012 6:38 PM

I would suspect that at 400 F the metal parts are not having heat related issues but the rubber seals and the grease are being baked out letting them run dry and chew themselves to pieces.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)

In reply to #6

05/04/2012 6:38 PM

yes it does look like that one and I knew you meant what type, but I didn't really know what type they are. I haven't talked to the rep yet, but I just asked my second shift maintence tech to check all the information on the box.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 16
In reply to #5

05/04/2012 6:39 PM

Look up LDK high temperature bearing units, see if this might help you.

Also remember that the normal thrust load rating of a tapered roller bearing is about 50-60% of its rated radial load (however this depends on your specific type).

Proper type of lubrication at your high operating temperture is paramount.

Register to Reply

In reply to #7

05/04/2012 6:41 PM

That sounds like what they looked like the last time. I know the grease is high temp and the feed is automatic with a timer, not sure how often is exchanges though.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

05/04/2012 6:48 PM

And, what's your function, Bruce?

It's a little late to be reading the outside of the box.

Go to your bearing supplier, or, better yet have, "your second shift maintenance tech" tell them what he needs.

Cheers.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic

In reply to #11

05/04/2012 6:53 PM

Because I just started working here, I'm playing catch up with problems, that's why I was reading the box to see what they have been using.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

05/04/2012 7:00 PM

This should have been your initial post. (I added the bold copy) Because I just started working here, I'm playing catch up with problems, because I am not very familiar with the drive systems used here. that's why I was reading the box to see what they have been using. I will ask my techs for help, since they will already know I'm lost.

Keep doing what you've been doing until you can identify the problem, or find a way to cool the bearings, then fix it.

We'll help. Welcome to CR4.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123

05/04/2012 10:04 PM

Besides the vertical mounting issue, you need to also consider the loads, angels, alignment, speeds, lube intervals and lube product.

Are the old bearings dry when replaced?If the bearings are dry, you need to improve the lube quality, or frequency. If you have two shifts, try lubing the bearings each shift, or twice per shift. There are automated lube systems that will send measured amounts of lube at predetermined timed intervals, or with selected starts of the machine. Contact a reputable bearing supplier and learn all you can. Then you will be in a better position to offer suggestions for improvement. Good luck, and welcome.

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member

Good Answers: 30

05/04/2012 10:34 PM

" All of this mechanism is above an oven at about 400 degrees when operating."

Which is 400 deg F? the oven or the bearing ?

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

05/05/2012 12:25 AM

I can't fully picture your layout. Is there any way to put some insulation between the oven and the bearing, or maybe a fan to cool the space where the bearing is?

Generally I think a pillow block can be any direction around a horizontal shaft. But on a vertical shaft, its capabilities as a thrust bearing must be checked.

Good Answers: 59

05/05/2012 12:53 AM

The discussion is a bit surreal. A shaft may be located above an oven by necessity. But the motor is not. I happened not to know motors built to run at 400F ambient. It must be placed relatively cool. Then all it takes some flexible insulation hose and a pancake fan to keep the shaft and bearing comfortably cooled. Then the lubrication may not be such a problem either. Unless the bearings are overloaded from the beginning, that is.

Register to Reply

Good Answers: 1

05/05/2012 2:51 AM

Bruce, There are some things that you must consider in using bearings. The exact type of bearing that complies with the design application. 1.) Based on your statement that you are using pillow block bearing in a vertical position. Pillow block bearings are not design for axial loads. So by this case you are using the wrong type of bearing. The correct bearing type for this is a SPHERICAL ROLLER THRUST BEARINGS. This type of bearings are designed for axial loads and you can see it in some catalogs like SKF, or any brands. 2.) And for a working condition of 400 deg F or C, this must be a special bearing. Again, in the catalogs you can see the working temperature of each type of bearing. If you are using the wrong design of bearing then it won't last long. If you can't find in the catalog that meets the working temperature, then I suggest you contact you supplier and specify the details the bearing that you want including the working conditions. I hope this small info can help and Good lick.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 31

05/05/2012 8:16 AM

400 degrees is too hot for most bearings, the bearing will heat damage at anything above 300F,even lower in some cases, As for the pillow block call the bearing manufacturer and tell him or her the usage, temperature conditions and loading both horizontal and vertical. You will need some form of cooling for this operation unless you can find a high temp bearing. We had these in the steel mill but speeds were not high. Shielding from the heat and or some cooling medium is called for. Please call your supplier no point being in the dark.

Good Answers: 3

05/05/2012 8:23 AM

If this vertical installation is supporting vertical load and not just maintaining a rotating centerline with side loads then your pillowblock bearing are not the best choice. If vertical load is the case, then perhaps your design might be able to include a nice thrust bearing to relieve that vertical load. Also be sure to lube with a product rated at the temps you described.

edit: The pillow block bearings do not like to be overly side loaded and are normally used in horizantal configurations supporting a vertical load. In your situation I am envisioning a vertical shaft using these bearings on their "side". If this is wrong, please ignore my answer or rotate my statements 90 degrees.

Good Answers: 1

05/07/2012 2:25 AM

In addition in selecting the right bearing design for your vertical shafting you have to consider the total weight load of you bearing.

1.) Weight of the shafting. Ws = Volume of the shafting x Density of the shaft material

2.) Load carried by the shafting.

3.) Flexural Loads during rotating. But partly can be ignored as long as the rotating assembly are balanced and add factor of safety to the total load.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 37
In reply to #10

05/09/2012 1:02 PM

You may want to check the technical info on the grease. I've used some high temp greases in the past that work counter to standard thinking. The lubrication from grease is typically thought as coming from an oil suspended in the solids, which are just there to keep the oil from running out. Some high temp grease is just the opposite, the liquid is designed to carry the solids around the bearing then evaporate off leaving behind the lubricating solids.

If you're constantly feeding a high temp grease, then you could easily be OVER lubricating the bearing and thus causing the failure.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bob c (1); Bruce Modrak (5); ChaoticIntellect (1); Dback (2); leveles (1); lyn (4); OldTooly (1); roy hammy (1); SolarEagle (1); tcmtech (1); Tim in Mexico (2); Tornado (1); yesyen (1)

Previous in Forum: Dock in Callao Lima Peru   Next in Forum: Girdir Design For EOT Crane

Advertisement