Previous in Forum: Water Disinfectors   Next in Forum: Hydraulic Rotary Actuator
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Guru
Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 12

New CNG Tank to Mimic Intestines Design

07/12/2012 5:24 PM

One new design, for CNG tanks is mimicking intestines wrapped inside of any shape tank.

I don't understand the physics of this, but imagine that it decreases the pressure on the outer tank. Tank shape has been an impediment to natural gas vehicle design.

Not needing an extremely strong tank will hopefully reduce the cost of tanks.

Past designs have tried to use charcoal or ground corncobs to accomplish greater storage capacity, but I have not heard if they would lower the need for an extremely strong tank, or allow free form tank design.

Maybe you can solve this problem and patent your design.

http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/California-Companies-Selected-to-Develop-Natural-Gas-Vehicle-Technologies-162266695.html

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: CNG cost natural gas Pressure tanks
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 251

Re: New CNG tank to mimic intestines design.

07/13/2012 12:50 AM

Seems like they want to develop "reverse fracking".

In coal seam gas, the methane is bonded to coal (carbon) in conjunction with moisture and pressure. Removal of the pressure liberates the gas. I don't know how quickly this process is reversible, or what energy density could be achieved, but surface area would definately be the key.

Such a methodology might not need the dedicated pressure vessels for pure gas storage.

Ironically I have today read a paper in Aus remarking about us exporting our gas (methane) at ridiculously low prices and not even allowing local use in any great amounts either for direct energy applications or as chemical feedstock.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781

07/13/2012 5:37 AM

Pressurized methane also mimics intestinal contents to some extent....

In reply to #2

07/13/2012 10:31 AM

I knew that was coming! Was tempted to mention it up front. It is a known fact that there have been explosions, in operating rooms during intestinal gas release. The explosion can be fatal to the patient.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #1

07/13/2012 10:35 AM

I am well aware of Australia's natural gas potential, especially your floating offshore plant. The companies will be focusing on selling to Japan, at the highest possible price. They will have plenty of competition however. The Australian market should not be slighted however. Aussies need to kick up a fuss. It is a similar situation to our U.S. companies wanting to ship our oil overseas.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57
In reply to #1

07/13/2012 1:09 PM

Certainly an interesting concept. Acetylene tanks have acetone in them, I'm told, presumably to absorb the gas and increase storage or something.

If some substance can help store CNG, I'm all for it. It comes out of wells in parts of the country, utilizing it is good for all.

Re: New CNG Tank to Mimic Intestines Design

07/13/2012 7:26 PM

Just saw an ad for a collapsible hose. Thought the concept was very much like an small intestine. Possibly a similar hose could be used in CNG tanks. Another porous and flexible material could be added to the hose lumen if desired. Hhttps://www.xhose.com/ere is the ad.

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 1

10/07/2012 11:12 PM

Hope it really works! Natural gas is the future of energy.It's changing dirty, harmful, costly coal and nuclear plants.

It's creating the electricity for planet. It'll directly fuel pickups, vans, buses, lengthy haul trucks, dump trucks, locomotives, aircraft, ships etc. It'll stop us from more useless wars, where we shed our bloodstream and cash.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 781

10/08/2012 12:20 AM

A pressure vessel can be long and skinny, or short and fat. In principle, either way takes the same weight of material. An "intestine" can be curled up to fit into oddly shaped spaces, and then sourrounded by a lightweight shell, which isn't itself pressurized. The whole scheme makes sense.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

jmmyadam (1); Just an Engineer (1); mike k (1); ronwagn (3); Tornado (2)

Previous in Forum: Water Disinfectors   Next in Forum: Hydraulic Rotary Actuator

Advertisement