Previous in Forum: Is SS316Ti Superior to SS321?   Next in Forum: Chemically Heating Water
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Guru
Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 12

Are You Aware of Nanocellulose?

08/23/2012 8:32 AM

Sounds like it will be used in the near future. What do you think? http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/134910-nanocellulose-a-cheap-conductive-stronger-than-kevlar-wonder-material-made-from-wood-pulp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanocellulose

How about use as the material sprayed by 3D printers?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: nano
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

Re: Are You Aware of Nanocellulose?

08/23/2012 9:39 AM

I think the term micro-fibrillated cellulose is more appropriate but 'nano' garners headlines and market interest. Unless I'm missing something here, these materials are not a revolutionary breakthrough but a slow, methodical recognition that the very high surface area of cellulosic materials (particularly but not exclusively wood pulp) can be enhanced for a variety of purposes. I'm familiar with work in the filtration world and I have no doubt there are many other opportunities. Cellulosics are organic materials, though, and there are inherent application limitations for such materials; employing the process technologies to synthetic fibers that can be fibrillated in a similar fashion to cellulosics might yield even greater value.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 243

08/24/2012 4:47 PM

The '-conductive-' caught my eye, but I missed any reference to either thermal or electrical conductivity in either article.

Still, it does sound like a very interesting material...

In reply to #2

08/24/2012 5:41 PM

The stronger than steel, stiffer than Kevlar is what caught my eye. I am thinking in terms of lightweight autos, boats, airplanes, and other products. Armor also comes to mind.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 84

08/24/2012 6:11 PM

You know something, Ronwagn, I was watching some videos of that Makerbot 3D printer and wondered if certain eutectic solders would be suitable for making metallic parts. Really, the nozzle isn't much different than a hot-glue gun, and the temp could probably be tweaked within a reasonable range. That Makerbot printer used ABS filament but an appropriate solder could be used instead, with a little experimentation.

Another app would be to feed a wax from which you could fab parts to form the moulds for investment castings.

Just sayin'

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

08/26/2012 3:47 PM

3D printing has so many potential applications that I am surprised we are not hearing more about it in the news. It is a very exciting field.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dkwarner (1); europium (1); MillMatt (1); ronwagn (2)

Previous in Forum: Is SS316Ti Superior to SS321?   Next in Forum: Chemically Heating Water

Advertisement