Previous in Forum: Gamma Knife Question About How Small an Area can be Treated   Next in Forum: Can Xrays Make The Skull Transparent For Microscopy To View The Brain Better
Close
Close
Close
21 comments
Participant

STEM CELLS Used to Create a Working Lung for Transplant

06/10/2014 1:18 PM

I have advanced COPD and was thinking if it would be possible to create a Lung using my stem cells and what ever else necessary. I have come in to a large sum of money and would be willing to pay for everything

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: COPD Lungs stemcells
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 411

Re: STEM CELLS Used to create a working Lung for transplant

06/10/2014 1:47 PM

Contact a university that specializes in this and discuss it with them ................ If you need a few universities, I can supply you the names. but you'll have to do the rest.

It's not what you think, It will be for research, ...........

In reply to #1

06/10/2014 2:20 PM

Thank you any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 33

06/10/2014 2:18 PM

Dear Mikey, having a chronic obstructive lung disease is really a hard thing to cope with, but unfortunately your idea of creating a new lung from your stem cells is not possible today, nor (probably) in the next 50 years.... even if you had all the money in the world. Should your treating physician(s) consider it necessary, a lung transplant is - by far a more realistic approach for treating your disease

Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Petroleum Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 149
In reply to #2

06/11/2014 11:49 AM

Actually R&DDoc, there is a group at MD Aderson Cancer Center here in Houston that have done just such things in a laboratory setting. Getting permission from the FDA and the ethics committee to transplant however might be a real trick. They take a cadaver lung, use detergent to wash all of the donor cells from the collagen scaffolding, then seed the scaffolding with the patient's stem cells and immerse it in a growth medium to keep the cells fed, oxygenated, and to carry away waste product, and make sure they grow into the correct type of cell, in a few weeks, they have a functional lung, heart, bladder, trachea (the trachea has already been implanted sucessfully a couple times now) those are the ones they have had success with, they haven't been able to do solid organs like liver, kidney, pancreas etc yet. One possible way they might be able to satisfy the ethics committee and the FDA would be to transplant just one lung so if rejection occurs they still have one lung left. But you would have to be otherwise in excellent heath and that is not likely to be the case if you have advanced COPD. This would also be one of the selection criteria for a conventional transplant as well.

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918
In reply to #10

06/11/2014 1:02 PM

Such clinicals take a long time in the USA.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

06/11/2014 2:22 PM

Hi Rorschach,

being a physician, I can tell you that if my only options were to deal with a COPD or to get an engineered lung, I would keep what I have, cause the latter alternative seems too risky to me. This is like heart transplants: Dr. Barnard made the first heart transplants in the late 60´s in South Africa. Most (if not all) of his patients didn´t make it because their immune system rejected the newly implanted organ. Why did this happen? just because Barnard did something feasible from the surgical point of view... but did not have the drugs that were invented years later to prevent organ rejection. turning -nowadays heart-lung transplant a into good treatment alternative for selected cases.

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Petroleum Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 149
In reply to #12

06/11/2014 2:34 PM

Doc, I hear ya. I do. I know you understand this but there is a major difference between an engineered organ and a donor organ. There is no rejection. It is an auto-graft for all intents and purposes.And besides, if he is that far gone, the anesthesia itself could kill him. not to mention all the issues of blood clots, infection, acts of god, etc. surgery is NEVER routine. It might be done every day but it will never be routine.

In reply to #13

06/11/2014 10:21 PM

Yes, I know there is a mayor difference between an engineered organ and a donor organ... but there are still too many loose threads in this new technology that still make such treatments very unlikely to succeed. On the other hand, there is always a risk / benefit ratio one has to evaluate when undergoing such a mayor surgery. I would take the donor organ risks instead of those unknown derived from engineered organs. But well, it is my opinion...

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #12

06/11/2014 3:16 PM

There are flip side to your argument:

1. You may give a patient more time to live. It's a gamble, but if you know you have limited time left, anything that extends that (assuming quality of life is reasonable) is a gift.

2. Heart transplants are fairly routine and have an 87% success rate for 1 year of extended life and 50% for 10 years.

That success rate would be virtually zero if there wasn't people willing to be early adopters that allow doctors to learn how the next transplant can be improved.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

06/11/2014 10:48 PM

Hi, there is no flip side to my arguments: I agree with your 2 statements. But, who can tell if quality of life will improve by performing such a novel treatment? Once your chest has been opened, you have crossed the no return point.

Again, everyone is entitled to do what he thinks will be best for his own wellbeing, but before going for a novel procedure I would try more conventional (not necessarily less agressive) procedures.

And yes. I too admire those people willing to be early adopters, as you call them!

In reply to #18

06/11/2014 10:55 PM

"Once your chest has been opened, you have crossed the no return point."

They say that about dying, too.

Register to Reply
Guru

06/10/2014 3:17 PM

We don't even play doctors on TV here.

Your time should be spent consulting professionals. Teaching hospitals might be a good start.

Even if there was a doctor here they really could not give you advice legally without performing an exam.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

Re: STEM CELLS Used to Create a Working Lung for Transplant

06/10/2014 3:35 PM

They are not there yet but working on it.

See here and maybe get in contact with them.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/269566.php

06/11/2014 2:14 AM

Hi,

Got this link from the very site that gave me CR4:

bigstory.ap.org/article/uk-scientists-make-body-part-lab

Good luck in your endeavor and may U get well soon.

S

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 30

06/11/2014 4:42 AM

There are two difficulties here. The first, the acquisition of appropriate stem cells and converting them into the various types of lung cell, is well on its way to being solved. The second is far more serious. Unlike a stem-cell grown pancreas, which can be any shape you like and still produce insulin, the lung depends for its function on some very complex architecture (the internal surface area of a lung is quoted as being comparable to the size of a tennis court). A stem cell trachea can be built on relatively simple scaffolding, but I cannot envisage the complexity of providing a support structure on which to grow a stem cell lung.

See the American Lung Association's warning against participating in any trill of this therapy at http://www.lung.org/finding-cures/research-news/stem-cells-cell-therapies.html

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 25

06/11/2014 6:38 AM

I lost my friend who was suffering COPD. He was 74 years old, he tried various treatments but could not survive. My another friend's wife is suffering from same disease. As per my information stem cell treatment for lungs is still in R&D stage, it has not yet come out for human treatment.

06/11/2014 7:17 AM

A single cell of our body is a masterpiece of nature, a tissue or an organ are -by far more complex. Despite the promising information and futurist predictions one can read in pseudo-scientific magazines, it still will take decades until tissues can be engineered for a given purpose. Due to the complexity of the (still unknown) mechanisms that interact during the organ formation in living beings, scientists will probably follow another path first; which is harvesting organs from animals (pigs?). Before this many ethical, religious, scientific questions will need to be answered.

Good Answers: 125

06/11/2014 4:20 PM

See this.

In reply to #15

06/11/2014 10:31 PM

I really wish these guys were half as good as they say they are! It sounds like cheap advertising: what do they mean when they say they have over 100 years of combined physician experience: do they have 100 doctors with one year experience each... or five with 20 years of experience, which is not the same???? Besides this, they offer non invasive treatments... hmmmm, something smells fishy in Denmark!

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1038
In reply to #17

06/15/2014 1:07 PM

what do they mean when they say they have over 100 years of combined physician experience
I agree. Anybody that quotes combined years of experience has lost all credibility with me. It's like adding up the temperature of all the stars in the galaxy.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

06/15/2014 1:24 PM
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Adnaan146 (1); Anonymous Hero (4); mikey8205 (1); ozzb (1); phoenix911 (1); phph001 (1); r&ddoc (7); Rixter (1); Rorschach (2); suresh sharma (1); WJMFIRE (1)

Previous in Forum: Gamma Knife Question About How Small an Area can be Treated   Next in Forum: Can Xrays Make The Skull Transparent For Microscopy To View The Brain Better

Advertisement