Previous in Forum: Enquiry   Next in Forum: No Such Thing as an Electrical Failure
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Active Contributor

Earth Drill Machine for Earth Rod

03/05/2015 9:49 AM

Good day guys,

Almost 1 week searching in the internet and asking some renting company who can provide me a 3 meters deep with 100mm or 4" diameter boring/drilling machine for my earthing system. I need this machine since i have to put bentonite on hole before putting the rod.

Please help me if someone in this group knows what type of machine we can use. i hope that those machine is small and handy since we have small space in the workplace.

Thank you and have a great day ahead :)

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 138

Re: Earth Drill Machine for Earth Rod

03/05/2015 9:57 AM

I have never done it and don't actually know anything about it.

What are you drilling through? Good old dirt?

I once wanted to know how far down the coquina is at my house. I got a couple of PVC pipe fittings and hooked my garden hose up to the pipe. With water turned on fully I could "drill" through my yard down to the coquina in about 2-3 seconds. I was only going down 6'1" to 6'2" and the OD was only 1" but still it was very easy. If you don't have rock or hard clay (or roots) you will probably be able to use this method.

Go to YouTube and search for "drill your own well". You will find videos where people use a similar method of drilling.

You might need some stuff that I think is called "driller's mud". I might have the name wrong. There are bags of powder sold that will mix with the water in the hole and magically keep the sides of the hole from caving in. I think the factory somehow makes it out of dent corn. When mixed with water it creates a thin slime that doesn't look at all impressive but it works very well.

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

03/05/2015 11:44 AM

You may want to look at tractor mounted post hold diggers. Though 3 meters is a little deep for a post hole. You do not give the depth of the bentonite needs to be. You may find one that will get you down that depth and drive the rod the rest of the way. And useing a post hole digger may have to settle on a 6" hole.

Good Answers: 774

03/05/2015 12:40 PM

Any reason you can't use a common hand powered rotary post hole digger like they did in the old days?

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 75

03/05/2015 12:55 PM

Due to the depth of the hole, you may have to go with a larger diameter, but they do make them, and they typically are designed to be mounted to a tractor as, due to the depth, a manual unit is not feasible.

Good Answers: 1663

03/05/2015 1:51 PM

Go to Bill's Rental City. 2463 E Broadway Road.

They have the exact machine you need.

Their phone number is 99999-34624-09899

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 102

03/05/2015 11:32 PM

Don't rent a machine, rent a service.

Contact your local well boring dude.

Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 33

03/06/2015 8:01 AM

A truck mounted Rotary Well Drilling Rig is what you need. They do this sort of thing all the time.

So call a local well driller with a Rotary Rig, not a Cable Tool Rig.

Good Answers: 45

03/06/2015 8:29 AM

I used a post-hole borer. Admittedly the hole was 50mm for scaffold poles - a smaller drill will do. The problem was holding the machine at the right height - which meant the drill had to be in sections (much like an oil drilling rig).

Get a large masonry drill and make extension pieces. You need to keep removing the drill from the hole in order to remove the soil from the flutes of the drill.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #3

03/06/2015 10:03 AM

with extra long (nine meters is about 27 feet) handles.

I like the previous idea of using hydrodrilling. I need to use that for feeding compost to my trees.

Good Answers: 48

03/06/2015 10:09 AM

DIY well drilling

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1ANS4awOxrI&ei=28L5VP3cEcXkoAT5kYKgCw&usg=AFQjCNFm22ml19y-1_Mxm7555-w2t0C65Q&sig2=8h53ZyNnf8k-__7e0pfNFQ&bvm=bv.87611401,d.cGU

Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 27

03/06/2015 8:06 PM

These systems are frequently used at antenna towers. Contact your local 2 way radio company, they may know of someone. If there is a tower nearby, there will be an emergency phone number on the access gate, try that. Also try rigging companies.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

03/06/2015 11:48 PM

Tower builders use drilling subcontractors for this sort of thing.

In reply to #12

03/07/2015 7:26 AM

Mine didn't, but it was sand. Even so, the tower builder will have a contact. Furthermore they must be inspected at some intervals. The emergency number on the gate is a start.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

03/07/2015 7:28 AM

Mine didn't, but it was sand. Even so, the tower builder will have a contact. Furthermore they must be inspected at some intervals. The emergency number on the gate is a start.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

03/07/2015 11:34 PM

You ring that number on the gate and you will get the NOC. NOC personnel have no idea how these things are built.

03/18/2015 1:25 AM

If you are only drilling one or a few holes, possibly a soil hand auger will be the cheapest. We have used them to auger holes for moisture readings using a neutron probe. The holes were 4m deep and about 75mm dia. It can be hard work depending on the soil type.

http://www.ams-samplers.com/category.cfm?CNum=6

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 16 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BruceFlorida (1); Deefburger (1); horace40 (1); James Stewart (1); JavaHead (1); JWthetech (3); lyn (1); Massey (1); mic (1); ozzb (1); tcmtech (1); Wal (3)

Previous in Forum: Enquiry   Next in Forum: No Such Thing as an Electrical Failure

Advertisement