Previous in Forum: DIN Standards   Next in Forum: Flow Rate vs Area
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Participant

Controller Fails to Stay in Auto Mode (Cascade), Keeps Reverting to Manual Mode.

04/24/2015 9:30 AM

Please, what could be responsible for a level controller failure to remain in cascade mode. When placed on auto mode after a while, it fails to manual mode without any human intervention.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 937

Re: Controller fails to stay in Auto mode(Cascade), keeps reverting to manual mode.

04/24/2015 9:46 AM

Sounds like somebody does not have sound software.

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76

Re: Controller fails to stay in Auto mode(Cascade), keeps reverting to manual mode.

04/24/2015 10:04 AM

It sounds as though human intervention is required. Is this thing a self-contained proprietary unit, Boss? If so, then a telephone call to the manufacturer would be first intervention I would make. Then, I'm funny that way.

Good Answers: 102

Re: Controller Fails to Stay in Auto Mode (Cascade), Keeps Reverting to Manual Mode.

04/24/2015 11:11 AM

Whoever might know the answer would need to know the manufacturer and model, at least. Surely you have a manual available?

Register to Reply
Participant

Re: Controller Fails to Stay in Auto Mode (Cascade), Keeps Reverting to Manual Mode.

04/24/2015 12:51 PM

I use delta V and i get this message MODBAD.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #4

04/24/2015 1:08 PM

A change in velocity will have very little effect on any imaginary number. If your module is bad then fix or replace it. That is what I would do.

[Punctuation, capitalization and proper syntax is very important for precise communication.]

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 122
In reply to #4

04/24/2015 2:34 PM

The "MODBAD" error in a DELTA V DCS indicates at least one module in the system is bad and requires replacement.

Be aware that there may be more than one module that has failed.

You need to go to the engineering node/terminal and drill down through the fault table to identify which modules are bad and replace all that are listed as "bad".

If you are not comfortable with performing this operation contact the DELTA V technical support for advice and follow their directions.

Good Answers: 18

04/24/2015 2:35 PM

Look at all the things it could be (discussion on LinkedIN)

https://www.linkedin.com/grp/post/1270757-210891384

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #7

04/25/2015 3:44 AM

Thank you for the link

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1663

04/24/2015 4:00 PM

Sounds like human intervention, with trouble shooting abilities, is required.

This fault can't be fixed over the internet.

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Large hole formally occupied by furry woodland creature.
Good Answers: 97

04/24/2015 4:39 PM

Sounds like the default mode is working correctly.

04/24/2015 7:41 PM

This could also be a simple case of ESO.

Good Answers: 9

04/25/2015 11:33 AM

Do you have access to the signal diagram? If you do, you can bring the signal diagram up for troubleshooting purposes. It should give enough information (provided you can understand the logic blocks well enough to determine the cause). In many cases modules or level transmitters will give a Bad Quality indication which will automatically cause the unit to fail to a manual reject state. Determine if this is the case and you should also be able to determine which module or transmitter is bad quality.

What software are you using? (e.g. Emerson, etc.?)

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1

05/04/2015 7:14 AM

Hi

Seems Ur DCS controller configuration is such a way, your controller configuration enabled to Setpoint track mode. That means when ever any failure of input value from field & any interruption is communication makes the set point tracks the measured mode. Pl check for SP track option in your DCS controller configuration.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 13 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); bigg (1); Bud (1); Crabtree (1); lyn (1); Profiler (2); redfred (3); RG2 (1); SHOCKHISCAN (1); Unredundant (1)

Previous in Forum: DIN Standards   Next in Forum: Flow Rate vs Area

Advertisement