Previous in Forum: Tie Breaker MCCB   Next in Forum: Need References: Gas Station Or Petrol Station
Close
Close
Close
15 comments
Associate

Negative Capacitance

05/11/2015 7:07 PM

For RF circuit analysis, I sometimes use RFSIM99. It has a neat feature called "automatch." If you have a known load whose schematic is expressed in some combination of Rs, Ls & Cs the system can generate either a high pass or a low pass network that will match the load at a specific frequency. It also can show a Smith Chart over a swept frequency range.

I recently encountered a circuit for which the Matching network consisted of a parallel small inductance and a series *negative capacitance* of -15pF.

Obviously I can't rush down to Radio Shack (If I can Find One!) and buy some.

But it got me thinking:

What would be the characteristics of Negative Capacitance?

Could such a thing be simulated using something like a gyrator circuit?

Thanks! Bill

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: "Negative Capacitance" gyrator
User-tagged by 1 user
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

Re: Negative Capacitance

05/11/2015 7:28 PM

What would be the characteristics of Negative Capacitance?

Looks to me like a special capacitor circuit configuration used to cancel out specific other capacitive effects.

http://www.cpes.vt.edu/public/showcase/negativecancellation.php

Could such a thing be simulated using something like a gyrator circuit?

Yea I am sure you could model it and use capacitors with a negative value.

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1046

05/11/2015 7:39 PM

You have to do some magic with op amps...

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 939
In reply to #2

05/11/2015 10:09 PM

That's the correct fundamental circuit. However, the problems with nearly all Negative Impedance Circuit (NIC) designs are stability from the positive feedback and complications from all of the non-ideal attributes of real versus ideal operational amplifiers.

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376
In reply to #3

05/11/2015 10:20 PM

But but but....the design I built in the computer modelling program clearly proves........

In reply to #3

05/12/2015 1:03 PM

Thanks to all for their info!

In a network, where is the op amp connected?

Are there op-amps that might work at RF? Say up to 15 MHz?

Is this a low-power-only (milliwatts) approach, or could it be used at power levels up to, say, 10s of watts?

Register to Reply
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 6

05/13/2015 2:40 AM

A capacitor between input and output is positive capacitance , a capacitor between input and ground is negative capacitance, as viewed from the output. Correct?

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #6

05/13/2015 7:16 AM

No, the input impedance of the whole circuit (op=amp, capacitor, resistors and op-amp supply) that Rixter posted has an input impedance of -C.

Good Answers: 102

05/13/2015 3:45 AM

Negative capacitance is a new term for me. Capacitance is not a vector.

Parasitic capacitance cancellation is usually done with inductors and a trim cap.

Is an inductor a negative capacitance?

Negative capacitance is a functional concept not an electrical parameter.

In reply to #7

05/13/2015 7:34 AM

Negative Impedance Converters are atypical circuits in the Gyrator family. (The Wikibooks link gives a very nice derivation of this analog circuit.) An inductor and capacitor can produce a non-reactive load at a particular frequency when properly tuned. A capacitor canceled by a capacitive negative impedance circuit will only have a frequency dependence of the linear bandwidth of the op-amp.

Good Answers: 1

05/13/2015 8:17 AM

You should be able to find circuits called "negative impedance converter" [NIC] and "general impedance converter" [GIC] on the web. I did some work some years ago in electrically small antenna matching using negative impedances in matching networks. They are pretty simple, if you can build an active filter you can build an NIC/GIC.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

05/13/2015 11:18 AM

With a GIC one can (and I have) also build an impedance of 100 Henry in the size of a small postage stamp. If one desires one can even construct an impedance that otherwise does not exist, like the squared capacitor impedance of 1/(s^2*Xc).

In reply to #10

05/13/2015 2:07 PM

Electrically Small antennas are just what I am interested in. Did you publish any work? Anything you might share offline? --

CR4 ADMIN - email address removed

From the CR4 Rules: Do not post phone numbers or email addresses. The CR4 Admin will delete all phone numbers and email addresses posted in threads or comments. You can share this information via the CR4 internal messaging system.

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #13

05/13/2015 2:36 PM

As a recent college graduate, I worked with Stephen E Sussman Fort [AB2EW]. Steve has published papers relative to this topic. My greatest contribution was the derivation that the required gain for the gain blocks needed to be > 4000 for minimum acceptable performance. Efficiency is horrible to some power but we were working around 10W using cascode MOSFET gain blocks I believe.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89

05/13/2015 10:00 AM

This is a completely new concept for me, If I had a set of calculations that said I needed a negative capacitance, negative inductance, or negative resistance. My first thought would be to double-check the math by hand, as the formula may not be right. Then I'd look for every point where roots are taken, because the nth root of Xn is ±X, when n is even, and polarities may get flipped there. Finally I'd conclude that the circuit needs to have some of its values adjusted, as some section is WAY out of bounds to drive another into negative fundamental values to balance things out.

Remember, computers are wonderful tools, they allow humans to make thousands more mistakes per minute than they could on their own. In other words, don't trust computer simulations implicitly, whether an RF circuit design program or a GPS-based navigation system. All it takes is one bit to flop when it should have flipped, and suddenly you're looking for a capacitor with negative farads, or driving down a runway to get to the airport because the navigation map has incorrectly identified it as a drivable street.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Guru

Good Answers: 102
In reply to #11

05/14/2015 12:52 AM

Yes.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

1capybara (1); adreasler (1); jack of all trades (2); jhotmer (2); KT4YE (2); redfred (4); Rixter (1); Wal (2)

Previous in Forum: Tie Breaker MCCB   Next in Forum: Need References: Gas Station Or Petrol Station

Advertisement