Previous in Forum: Wobbling Windmill Has Small Footprint and Cost   Next in Forum: Building Islands
Close
Close
Close
2 comments
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1031

A Magnetic Levitation Toy

06/16/2015 9:29 PM

Here's an idea. I'd like to see if anybody has thought of it or if I'm missing something.

A ferromagnetic substance concentrates magnetic flux and is attracted to regions of a magnetic field where the field is stronger. On the other hand, a diamagnetic material, e.g. graphite, dilutes the magnetic field within its volume and is repelled from the stronger areas of magnetic field. The ultimate diamagnet, of course, is a superconductor, which rejects all of the magnetic field.

So here is how we could construct an artificial diamagnet. Start with a 3 dimensional Helmholtz coil, i.e., three mutually perpendicular sets of coils. These are available commercially, but I'm sure a useable one could easily be constructed. Inside put a 3-axis magnetic field sensor like the ones found in most smart phones, and a set of three amplifiers to drive the coils, with feedback so that the coils are energized until the three sensors see no magnetic field. So the assembly behaves like a diamagnet, generating a magnetic field which opposes any external field.

If this could be made small and light enough, perhaps it could levitate over a track made of refrigerator magnets. It would make an interesting toy.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1727

Re: A magnetic levitation toy

06/16/2015 9:49 PM

Good Answers: 80

Re: A Magnetic Levitation Toy

06/18/2015 9:01 AM

It's the magnetic propulsion part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9b0J29OzAU

My 4yo granddaughter thought this was magic. LOL

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!

Previous in Forum: Wobbling Windmill Has Small Footprint and Cost   Next in Forum: Building Islands

Advertisement