Previous in Forum: How Do Gravitational Waves Propagate?   Next in Forum: Launch
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 206

Addition to Voyager Record

02/28/2016 8:49 AM
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1666

Re: addition to Voyager record

02/28/2016 9:12 AM

Very interesting.

My wife was incredulous that NASA spent money to shoot a record into space.

Guru

Good Answers: 1751
In reply to #1

02/28/2016 10:26 AM

Probably be even less impressed by the content...get your own copy

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Record-Greetings-Sounds-Earth/dp/B00IA99Z9A

In reply to #2

02/28/2016 11:49 AM

What a disappointment, I was expecting the real thing.

I'd like to get a gold disc to hang on the wall beside the gold plaque of my patent.

I'll hint to my wife, my birthday is coming up.

Guru

Good Answers: 1751
In reply to #7

02/28/2016 12:14 PM

Perhaps you could convince her you played some role in this....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nirvana-Limited-Edition-Record-Nevermind/dp/B008JF9J9Q

In reply to #8

02/28/2016 12:47 PM

No way!

I was in a band when we met 40 years ago.

Guru

Good Answers: 144

02/28/2016 10:29 AM

Interesting. It seems those instructions could use some clarification. Let your wife know it was all a mistake. It was a meeting at NASA that phrase "For the record, we will be sending a message into outer space" was wildly misinterpreted. The rest is history.

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1049

02/28/2016 11:04 AM

The chance of extra-terrestrials, if they even exist, finding this thing is very close to zero. If they did, would they figure out they need to build a record player to hear the sounds? What rpm? And by the way, what's a minute?

We cannot even communicate with other species on our own planet (e.g. dauphins), even though we share the same environment. The problem is like trying to explain a technical subject over the telephone to someone with no background in the fundamentals, only far worse.

I don't see how any communication with an alien species can even be possible without some common reference, and the best we might expect would be that they would recognize the patterns being made by an intelligent species.

Guru

In reply to #4

02/28/2016 11:16 AM

the directions were explained in the link

Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1049
In reply to #5

02/28/2016 3:00 PM

OK, if they can guess which symbol is 1 or 0 and which way it goes, that's only 4 combinations! That will define the rpm if they decipher the hydrogen clue.

They have to sort the sounds from the pictures. I assume pictures are a rectangular array with a prime number of rows and columns and won't look like anything until they get the dimensions right.

I'm not sure if it's a great idea advertising our location. History has shown that when two cultures meet, it usually doesn't turn out well for the lesser advanced (which would be us). At best, we might be selling our "high tech" gadgets as tourist trinkets. At worst, we might be on their menu.

Guru

In reply to #10

02/28/2016 3:10 PM
Guru

In reply to #4

02/28/2016 11:42 AM

NASA thoughtfully included a record player with the record, as well as instructions, assuming that any civilization that didn't blow it to bits (as humans would surely do) would be smart enough to decode the instructions.

Maybe you should watch the link again.

Power-User

Good Answers: 2

Re: Addition to Voyager Record

02/29/2016 9:07 AM

Thanks. I recall at least one interview with Sagan and the JPL crew about this. I believe the general trajectory beyond the Solar System was a "star system" in the galaxy thought at the time to be the most promising for life. At the time of the launch a radio transmission of much of what is on the disk was sent in the direction of the system at a distance of 24,000 light years from Earth.

Assuming humans constitute "intelligent life species" and the time from the assembly of the matter of Earth to the present (time for evolution of the species) being at least 3 billion years, it is not difficult to calculate how far away and how old must be (assuming 3 billion years of evolution) other potential "intelligent life species" celestial bodies from which we may receive radio communication. The numbers for the combined age and distance are sobering for a Universe consisting of Einsteinian physics. The solution for age-distance candidates builds like the skin of an onion with the Earth at the center, and into these layers can be inserted the various planetary candidates as they are discovered.

And when we insert sub-light speed travel times into the matrix, the likelihood of a real alien showing up from one of these candidates becomes less so by orders of magnitude.

Reply to Forum Thread 12 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bullardrr (1); Fredski (2); JE in Chicago (1); lyn (4); Rixter (2); SolarEagle (2)

Previous in Forum: How Do Gravitational Waves Propagate?   Next in Forum: Launch

Advertisement