Previous in Forum: Blocking Spinning Wheel in kWh Meter   Next in Forum: CT Heating Problem
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Participant

Neutral Distribution Bypassing 3p 3w MCC

03/24/2018 4:25 AM

Hi everyone,
I've been recently involved in a brown field project. It is a 25 years old plant which was powered by generator at first "stage 0" and later on a electrical overhead line was built so they included a distribution transformer.
As you can See under Stage 0, we have two generators connected to a 3Phase 3Wire MCC. So for having neutral (3P+N) for auxiliaries we have a isolation transformers, one of them 750KVA.
Under Stage 1, one distribution transformer 1.6MVA, Dyn has been added, so the neutral is available but not distributed. Transformer is protected through 87T upstream. We still maintain the Aux transformer 400/400V for having neutral downstream.
Apart of the advantages of the isolation transformer, I was thinking in remove it (it is 20 year old now) and make a Neutral distrubition, joining all the neutral point of the sources (generators and transformer).
The protection in the MCC is a Digitrip RMS510 Cutler - Hammer, with LTI and Ground protection in the incoming of the MCC.
What do you think about neutral distribution for avoiding Isolation transformers?
We should protect the Neutral with additional CT and/or relay? or just with the existing protections is enough.
Regards
Luis

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180

Re: Neutral Distribution Bypassing 3p 3w MCC

03/24/2018 9:57 AM

"As you can See under Stage 0"

I can't see anything, the drawings are too small.

03/24/2018 10:30 AM

Yes you are righ,

let's see now.

STAGE 0.

STAGE 1.

PROPOSAL

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #2

03/30/2018 11:27 AM

zero sequence reactance of generators is much lower than that of positive sequence. For that reason it is best to avoid subjecting the generators to earth faults in the system. I would keep the isolation transformer.

United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180

03/25/2018 4:54 AM

Will the neutral be switched at each ATS? If not use just the one N→E link which I would locate in the new transformer switchboard.

As for a 20 year old transformer, some of our transformers were installed in the 1930’s. I retired, they kept on working.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

luismsanzm (1); raghun (1); TonyS (2)

Previous in Forum: Blocking Spinning Wheel in kWh Meter   Next in Forum: CT Heating Problem

Advertisement