Close
Close
Close
21 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 29

Resin Question

06/09/2018 6:47 PM

Greeting all: I have a question maybe someone has an answer. About 30 years ago I was given a sample of a resin that was just a strip about 1 inch wide and 7 inches long, the strip was fiberglass reinforced and about 1/16 thick and a dark grey colour.

This material was quite flexible you could touch the ends together with no cracking. it was described as a urea resin (that may have been to hide the real material) it was described as very fast setting - minutes, a two part material, required a high pressure spray system higher than a polystyrene system and it did not tolerate silicone at all. It was stated if used with a chopper gun there was no need to roll the product since the high pressure did same function as rolling.

There may have been a reference of source being BASF not sure at this time. It reminded me at the time as having similarities of a soft epoxy but just my impression.

Would any of our members have some idea of a spray resin with these characteristics.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1203

Re: Resin question

06/09/2018 7:51 PM

In reply to #1

06/09/2018 8:02 PM

Thanks Solar Eagle, looks amazing only perceived issue would be cost for consumer applications but specs. are good.

Good Answers: 1618

06/09/2018 9:49 PM

It sounds like a prepreg tape. Search for Prepreg Uni-Directional Tape - TCR Composites or similar.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

06/09/2018 10:06 PM

Thanks Lyn, It was not a tape and to add info I am positive it was 2 part, also they claimed all you needed to spray it was a dust mask and there were no fumes to evacuate. On thing for sure was it could not tolerate any silicone in the area. This is very similar to some paints ( coatings) we used at the time. The sample I had but lost was produced by spraying it on a pane of glass then cut into strips for samples.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 276

Re: Resin Question

06/10/2018 10:06 AM

Would you tell us your intended end use of this mystery material?

In reply to #5

06/10/2018 11:39 AM

At the time I had intended, funds permitting to construct vehicle accessories, the advantage due to the speed of setting and lack of heat would mean only one mold to achieve production where as using polystyrene would require multiple molds and several hours of cure time. If I had it now who knows what items may be conjured up.

Good Answers: 1618
In reply to #6

06/10/2018 2:05 PM

Two things:

1. polystyrene is hardly ever used for automotive applications, due to its poor physical properties.

2. Polystyrene is a thermoplastic and requires virtually no cure time. Typical cycle times are in the range of 30 seconds.

Polystyrene - Wikipedia

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

06/10/2018 4:25 PM

My error I meant A polyester resin resin with an unsaturated polyester backbone which is catalyzed with a peroxide. Weekend fatigue.

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #7

06/11/2018 10:00 AM

Not to be critical.

www.chemicalsafetyfacts.org

www.dssmith.com

www.craftechind.com

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #6

06/11/2018 9:51 AM

Can you give us some examples of your conjured ideas ?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

06/11/2018 10:24 AM

Nothing in particular but back in the day truck steps and truck camper tops were considered. A depression caused by corrupt government in Canada put an end to any plans at that time, now time in general has taken its toll but I am still thinking.

United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 141

06/10/2018 10:29 PM

Could be a polyurethane resin.

I used it in Europe years ago and got it from

VOSSCHEMIE - they must have a representation in the USA too I guess.

Worth seeing

In reply to #9

06/11/2018 8:09 AM

Great I will look it up , thanks.

Good Answers: 3

06/11/2018 1:46 AM

This sounds like a Glycol-urea-formaldehyde resin. They are highly flexible.

See: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0014305717322310

In reply to #10

06/11/2018 8:21 AM

Thanks Ed I will research this.

United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 14

06/11/2018 1:45 PM

Most bedliner materials (think LineX or RhinoLiner - no endorsement) are made from polyurea resin. If used with a chopper gun, I can imagine the results you describe.

In reply to #16

06/11/2018 1:52 PM

Thanks Troy I forgot about the spray in liners. When I was associated with BodyGard they gave the formed bed liners a quick spray ( splatter ) of similar product to eliminate most of the slippery factor of HDPE box liners.

Good Answers: 1

06/11/2018 10:36 PM

There are many flexible thermosets ... many rubbers, some polyurethanes, some silicones. If thickness is constant you can get density by weighing a known area. Behavior in a flame and chemical resistance (what dissolves it) may tell more.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #18

06/12/2018 8:25 AM

Very true and I think we have it narrowed down enough that I can target my research. Thanks for the comment.

Good Answers: 8

06/12/2018 1:20 PM

head to home depot and find yourself a fiberglass repair kit. it will have the fiber mat that you can cut to what ever size you would need and also a can of two part resin. you mix the resin with a catalyst and apply it to your fiber mat. depending on the amount of catalyst, work time can be 10 mins to 1 hr. an item that is opaque and is more like a paste is called bondo which is polyester resin. i might add that there is also an epoxy system that can be used. the website below has a couple of interesting coatings that may have what you are looking for. urathane for the most part foams when in contact with water or CO2 (gorilla products, great stuff, ect).

https://www.por15.com/

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

06/12/2018 8:50 PM

Thanks everyone I think I have enough to go on for now just need to find the time to complete my examination of the options.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Doorman (1); dvmdsc (1); Ed Elton (1); Griffex (1); lyn (2); roy hammy (10); setlock77 (1); SolarEagle (1); tonyhemet (2); Troy36 (1)

Previous in Forum: Melting Statues   Next in Forum: Titanium Ingot

Advertisement