Previous in Forum: Incredible space pics!   Next in Forum: Thrust vectoring and hypersonic speeds.
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Participant

When Was Honeycomb first used in aerospace applications?

09/25/2007 2:06 PM

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to find when the honeycomb structure was first used for aerospace applications. Both the composite and metallic structures. If possible, please include source.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User

Good Answers: 1

Re: When Was Honeycomb first used in aerospace applications?

09/25/2007 6:05 PM

If I remember it was made in somebody's Garage.

A genuine home grown solution, the like of which Aerospace is famous for, You Know?

Anonymous Poster

09/26/2007 12:07 AM

I have seen an article by Prof.Paul A Czysz titled "Aerospace-Design-Notes" in which he mentions about titanium honeycomb structure made in 1964 by McDonnel.I can send you the article if you provide your email id.

Dr P C Angelo,PSG College of Technology,oimbatore 641004 (India)My email id is: angelo_psg@yahoo.com

Power-User

Good Answers: 20

09/26/2007 9:40 AM

The wing skins of General Dynamic's B-58 Hustler bomber were constructed from stainless steel and aluminum honeycomb. Google B 58 Hustler and read the interesting story of it's development from the late 1940's.

North American Aviation, producer of the famed P-51 Mustang, designed and built the Apollo Command Module, Service Module and the adapter which housed the Lunar Excursion Module using aluminum and titanium honeycomb.

North American (which was purchased by Rockwell toward the end of the Apollo Program) also used foam filled honeycomb and other forms of honeycomb throughout the vehicle to reduce weight. Remember, every pound that went to the moon required 10,000 pounds of thrust to get it there.

Hexcell corporation was already a major supplier of a multitude of honeycomb panels and interior cell material by the late fifties.

If you want to consider corrugated card board as a honeycomb variant then you can probably trace it's use back to the 1930's. Other adaptations such verneers glued to both sides of a thick felt can be found in the construction of ancient Mongolian and Chinese cabinetry.

Popular Science - Weaponology - Cardio-7

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #3

09/26/2007 9:56 AM

Excellent post! Good info.

Power-User

Good Answers: 24

09/26/2007 8:09 PM

American aviation used aluminum honeycomb in their airplanes for the firewall and cockpit floor,first introduced in early 70's. Company later bought by Grumman

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Cardio07 (1); dbdwoods (1); Keith E Bowers (1); taejonkwando (1)

Previous in Forum: Incredible space pics!   Next in Forum: Thrust vectoring and hypersonic speeds.
You might be interested in: Aerospace Contactors, Aerospace Services

Advertisement