Previous in Forum: watts for hp   Next in Forum: Wintchow 400
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Commentator

HOW TO TRANSFER MY SYSTEM FROM MY OLD HDD TO NEW HDD ?

09/30/2007 8:51 AM

My laptop received a hard bang whilst running - I think some disk gouging has occurred.

Can I transfer - copy - move, the entire system (XP in C, D & E) across to another hard drive and then put that new hard drive in place of the other. The old HDD is 40 Gb. I would like, in the process, to increase the size of the drive from 40Gb to say 60 or 80Gb - these larger sizes are available, I believe, in these small 2 1/2 inch laptop HDD's.

I have already, a "Portable" HDD with USB connection so I can easily interchange new and old HDD's etc and I suppose I could format and partition the new HDD there, although I could put the new HDD in the laptop and format and partition it there to the new larger sizes for C, D & E.

What is the best way to go?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 9

Re: HOW TO TRANSFER MY SYSTEM FROM MY OLD HDD TO NEW HDD ?

10/01/2007 9:39 AM

Would like more information on this also.

I have been experimenting with putting everthing on a Maxtor 300GB external hard drive and I have wondered about the OS.

First used a Docking Port that was USB 1.0.

Everything ran slow or hungup, so I went direct to one of my laptop's USB 2.0 Ports and everything so far seems to be running well.

Thanks for asking this question.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 90

10/01/2007 9:48 AM

I've done this although not with a laptop. I bought a new PC with a SATA drive & no operating system then slaved the IDE HDD from my old PC into the new system. I then used Norton Ghost to clone the old HDD to the new one.

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #2

10/01/2007 11:46 AM

Yeah, on a desktop this isn't so tough. The problem here is that the OS resides on the internal drive and I'm not sure you could designate an external drive as a boot drive for a laptop.

If you have the OS on disk it's easy. Just back up the old HDD to an external drive, put the new HDD into the laptop and boot using the OS install disk. Then bring the files back across from the backup external drive.

If you don't have the OS on disk - I'm going to have to think about it more....

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #3

10/01/2007 10:53 PM

Hi ca1ic0cat,

I'm with you on this.

It will take some time, but it works all the time.

Thanks

10/01/2007 3:35 PM

some yeare ago there was something called disk imaging in unix/ linux , nowell netware , in which two seperate hard disk ran synchronously with each other one as a main drive other as a back up including complete system so if main drive ( or other)failed there was no panic and chaos situation , it performed below par with client server application and was discarded as new backup devices emerged .with windows you have to do system setup then copy the old data to new system (hard drive)

there are some third party drive management software , i have never used but you may find something that may help your purpose

have a look at this site

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

10/03/2007 4:55 PM

You can do all the copying with external drive. Like all the other noted, problem is in setting it up to boot. You'll need a partition edit program to do that.

Or do it the hard way. Find a bootable XP CD. Remove old HD from notebook, install new one. Set notebook to boot with the CD. Install XP on new HD. Put old HD back and put new one in external case. You can format or delete everything in the new one then copy everything from the old one.

Pineapple

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); ca1ic0cat (1); Nigh (1); qaqcpipeman (1); vikas (1); willyap06 (1)

Previous in Forum: watts for hp   Next in Forum: Wintchow 400

Advertisement