Previous in Forum: Ralph Nader: Boeing has been Mismanaged for Years   Next in Forum: Pollution Recovery
Close
Close
Close
29 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 249

More Methane From Moo Than From Poo?

08/08/2019 4:26 AM

Who'da thunk it! Cows emit more methane from burps than from the rear exhaust system.

Scientists are trying to genetically modify the rumen bacteria to produce less methane.

As usual,there is no free lunch.They may succeed,but what effect will it have on the taste of meat and milk?

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190806-how-vaccines-could-fix-our-problem-with-cow-emissions

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 144

Re: More methane from MOO than from POO?

08/08/2019 8:10 AM

There's a type of seaweed that also greatly reduces methane emissions from cows. Still testing whether it affects the taste of meat or dairy products, afaik. There are practical limitations though to a widespread application.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/06/190617164642.htm

"But methane from animal agriculture is just 5 percent of the total greenhouse gases produced in the United States -- much, much more comes from the energy and transportation sectors," Hristov said."

Fair enough that agriculture has emissions, and something we can do about it. But I don't really buy the hype against farm animals. They're not the ones burning the fossil fuel...

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 416

Re: More Methane From Moo Than From Poo?

08/08/2019 9:54 AM

Are cow burps/farts really that big a deal? Maybe we should be draining all the world's swamps? They account for about half the methane released into the atmosphere.

https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/overview-greenhouse-gases

Enteric fermentation (a fancy name for cow farts/burps) account for 27% of human-related methane emissions in the U.S. So cows really contribute about 13% of the methane load.

Don't pull my finger.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 30
In reply to #2

08/08/2019 11:53 AM

...ah, but what happens when your finger is PUSHED (wink,wink)?

In reply to #3

08/09/2019 9:36 AM

He burps,of course.

In reply to #3

08/09/2019 11:07 AM

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 17

08/08/2019 12:16 PM

Globally speaking, methane is an average of about a two percent component of air, by volume, for the entire planet, including contributions from politicians, who remain mostly un-self-regulated...

Thus, for the record, I whole-heartedly support genetic modification of such political bacteria, as well...

''illigitimi non carborundum...''(i.e.: don't let the fatherless (self-deluding,sabotaging, long-term-memory-impaired, knee-jerking, cheap-shotting, mono-syllabic, self-annointed, shadow-lurking, back-biting, off-topic-inquisitors) grind you down...)
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

08/09/2019 9:41 AM

Since you mentioned it,I wonder how much methane 7 billion+humans produce?

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104
In reply to #10

08/09/2019 11:02 AM

The next thing you know will we be forced to buy the government sold pink liquid at highly inflated prices?

In reply to #13

08/09/2019 11:09 AM

" . . . or highly inflatulated prices."?

Sorry.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #15

08/09/2019 2:51 PM

Take a deep breath and check out this link:

http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiFARTER.html

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #13

08/09/2019 3:20 PM

Its probably green liquid. Remember Soylent Green is people.

Good Answers: 1727

08/08/2019 2:39 PM

Maybe we could just feed them a daily beano....

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 17
In reply to #5

08/09/2019 4:14 PM

I knew it! I just knew it! It's all clear to me now...

It's really all about the various bovine species conspiring to ultimately produce enough methane to replace the existing oxygen-carbon-hydrogen atmosphere of this planet to suffocate all human life into extinction, and ultimately finish evolving into a fully sentient species of upright-walking, opposable-thumb-hooved-bovines, that would then survive on diets of various domesticated chicken breeds... Oh, the irony of it all...

''illigitimi non carborundum...''(i.e.: don't let the fatherless (self-deluding,sabotaging, long-term-memory-impaired, knee-jerking, cheap-shotting, mono-syllabic, self-annointed, shadow-lurking, back-biting, off-topic-inquisitors) grind you down...)
Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Under the spreading Bunya Trees, South Burnett, Queensland, Australia
Good Answers: 57

08/09/2019 7:01 AM

There was talk of using the gut bacteria from Kangaroo's gut to modify the rumen bacteria of cattle to reduce methane generation but I don't know how far that experiment went. There has to be some use for the mindless macropod road kill.

I do believe that a trial on sheep failed for all that was produced were woolly jumpers!

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #6

Re: More Methane From Moo Than From Poo? Bovine IOT's

08/09/2019 9:03 AM

Kangaroo Buzz Bombs and Bovine IOT's

Interesting, do Kangaroos gain some energy advantage or water conservation advantage in the arid outback from skewing their chemistry away from methane production ? Could cows also benefit from such a mod ? Methane is energy rich. Could cows do better in more arid climes with a clever mod to their chemistry ?

Perhaps we could accessorize rather than medicate.

Could we push kangaroo fingers to intake air with some oxygen to run a diesel hop engine off of their methane if we modified their gut bacteria to produce MORE methane? A "far-side knock-off" cartoon belongs here with a staccato rear jet poof if I had the talent/energy ! I can envision a whole new industry fitting kangaroos with heat tolerant exhaust cones(think Saturn V but smaller) slung on Gucci straps stylishly and securely beneath the base of the tail for rocket pulse assisted hops.

And then, of course, there are the burp methane powered fuel cells to electrify your bovine IOT's. Monthly subscriptions to UUUHD videos of mildly kinetic pastoral scenes from all those cow cams could be had for extremely reasonable rates. Elsie would look like an oxygen generator advertisement actress wearing her cannula burp gas capture device to drive her fuel cell powered cowcam. Insomniacs everywhere could get bored to sleep watching slowly moving farmland on their bedroom ceiling big screens. [Then we could spy on the cows to see if they are really bipedal when they believe people are not looking. See your "far-side" cartoon archives.]

thewildotter

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #7

Re: More Methane From Moo Than From Poo? Bovine IOT's

08/10/2019 9:23 AM

Good one! I read it this a GA for the simple reason that this is the most unserious topic in the world! Cows and methane gas, are not the problem. But see my post to janissaries also. And someone please study some chemistry!

Good Answers: 35

08/09/2019 9:31 AM

Why they worry about methane is stupid. Methane as a greenhouse gas is the least of our worries. It only stays in the atmosphere for 10 years and has not been produced excessively. The real culprit of global warming is CO2, which stays in the atmosphere for 100 years and over the last 200 years has increased by 40%.

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #8

08/09/2019 3:10 PM

There's nothing off topic about my comment. The issue about cows and methane gas is that methane is considered a greenhouse gas, that's why people are trying to tamper with the health of cows to reduce their methane emissions. In actuality its influence on global warming is negligible. It's just people trying to a bunch of something over nothing.

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104
In reply to #8

08/09/2019 5:54 PM

The last sentence is incorrect. in this article he says:

"More than 90,000 accurate chemical analyses of CO2 in air since 1812 are summarised. The historic chemical data reveal that changes in CO2track changes in temperature, and therefore climate in contrast to the simple, monotonically increasingCO2trend depicted in the post-1990 literature on climate-change. Since 1812, the CO2 concentration in northern hemispheric air has fluctuated exhibiting three high level maxima around 1825, 1857 and 1942 the latter showing more than 400 ppm."

The article has many charts and lists 95 references.

In reply to #25

08/10/2019 7:29 AM

That is quite a bit to digest if one looks at it thoughtfully and objectively.

Whatever one concludes,there is one thing of which I am certain:

It is a good thing to try to reduce our carbon footprint in the only home we have,planet Earth.

More good than bad;Except of course,the gas generated by the fermentation of money-fueled politics.

Even our best efforts will have little effect compared to other natural influences,such as solar weather and cosmic rays from the entire universe(yes,cosmic rays do influence our weather,and provides a path for lightning strikes,for one thing).

Solar flares,or lack thereof are a very dominant force in our weather patterns,such as the Maunder Minimum(1646-1715)often referred to as the ""little ice age."

Commercial aircraft have a large effect on air pollution but due to the serious monetary and economic ramifications,not as much press time has been devoted to.

Consider the eruption of Eyjafjallajökullin in Iceland.For six days,air travel was disrupted,but that had a huge effect on air quality.Imagine what the current world wide fleet of aircraft are doing to the atmosphere.They may be the biggest contributor of all.

Steps are being taken to clean up jet engines,but it will take a long time to implement and have any effect.

In the large time frame of geology, humans will be but a spurious deviation, buried by all of the natural variations,and eventually recycled by continental subduction and recycled by volcanoes.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #8

08/10/2019 9:26 AM

No sir, CO2 is not an issue. Science has shown and known for centuries that plants use CO2 to produce oxygen. If you live somewhere arid where there is not a plethora of greenery, that might not be so obvious. But I live in an extremely Green Country in the United States of America, and I'm a farmer, and my plants need the CO2 in order to produce the oxygen which all of us, you included, breathe! So this whole concept of destroying or sequestering CO2 is a stupid idea!

08/09/2019 9:44 AM

There are some modern dairys that use the gas from the poo to generate electricity to power the entire operation.

Pork producers are also experimenting with it.

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #11

08/09/2019 10:04 AM

We are well past experimentation. While not common, this method of producing self sufficient electricity is freqeuently used at many waste and waste water facilities.

A large waste water treatment facility I used to work with produces all their electricity from the methane produced from human waste.

Many landfills are no longer flaring off the methane that comes from decomposition of the stuff in the landfill.

Register to Reply
Power-User

08/09/2019 3:09 PM

This is a topic we all have a steak in.

In reply to #17

08/09/2019 4:06 PM

Unless you are a vegetarian.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #20

08/09/2019 4:10 PM

My favorite entrees are vegetarians.

In reply to #21

08/09/2019 4:36 PM

Hmmm . . . you might be able to interpret this in one of several ways.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

08/09/2019 5:29 PM

Another issue that gets overlooked is that grassland grazing systems are excellent for sequestering carbon in soil. Just reading about some beef that is not only carbon neutral, actually sequestered more carbon than emitted.

The trick is to convert worn out depleted croplands into grasslands to graze your cattle instead - regenerative grazing.

https://phys.org/news/2019-08-vegan-food-sustainability-full-picture.html

08/14/2019 3:57 PM

New study reports that methane previously assumed to be coming from animals and wetlands is actually produced by fracking.

https://phys.org/news/2019-08-fracking-prompts-global-spike-atmospheric.html

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

70AARCuda (1); artsmith (3); Brave Sir Robin (5); ccoop609 (1); HiTekRedNek (5); Janissaries (2); micahd02 (2); MR. Guest (2); SolarEagle (1); StandardsGuy (2); Stef (1); thewildotter (1); XNuke (3)

Previous in Forum: Ralph Nader: Boeing has been Mismanaged for Years   Next in Forum: Pollution Recovery

Advertisement