Previous in Forum: Icebreaker to Spend a Year in Arctic Ice   Next in Forum: Pulse Current Through 22 Gauge Copper Wire 10us to 100us Pulse 10Hz Repeat @25C
Close
Close
Close
20 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104

Google Claims Breakthrough in Quantum Computing

10/25/2019 1:19 PM

"Google said that its quantum processor, called Sycamore, finished a calculation in 3 minutes, 20 seconds — and that it would take the world’s fastest supercomputer 10,000 years to do the same thing."

apnews.com/f5d8f10adbdb4b50838b7f1aaf2c023d

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 416

Re: Google Claims Breakthrough in Quantum Computing

10/25/2019 1:44 PM

How do you know if the answer is correct if you have to wait 10,000 years to check it?

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

In reply to #1

10/25/2019 2:19 PM

Gut feeling.

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #1

10/26/2019 1:31 AM

Make the computer show it's work!

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1034
In reply to #1

10/27/2019 8:51 PM

How do you know if the answer is correct if you have to wait 10,000 years to check it?

I don't know if it applies in this case, but quite often, it is much easier to check if an answer is right than to find the answer in the first place.

A classic example is factoring a very large number which is the product of two large primes. A standard computer has no choice but to start multiplying pairs of prime numbers less than the square root of the number until the factors are found. But given an answer, a pair of primes, it is very easy to multiply to verify that the answer is correct.

This factoring problem, incidentally, can be solved on a quantum computer using Shor's Algorithm in a much shorter time.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 416
In reply to #14

10/28/2019 1:40 PM

I understand that very well could be the case, but I like to have fun with the words in the vein of the late, great George Carlin. I loved the way he could skewer the ordinary things in life that we never even question.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Bimbo Takes Credit For This

10/25/2019 3:12 PM

Admin: political comment deleted.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru

Good Answers: 1728
In reply to #3

Re: Bimbo Takes Credit For This

10/25/2019 4:29 PM

..." President Donald Trump last year signed a measure to spend more than $1.2 billion over five years for quantum research across the federal government."...

...."Samsung and a sovereign wealth fund of the United Arab Emirates are leading a new $55 million funding round for IonQ, a startup that uses "trapped ions," or charged particles suspended in a vacuum, as the basis for its hardware.

IonQ's approach holds promise as a possible path toward achieving a so-called general-purpose quantum computer, a still-unrealized machine that is expected to yield tremendous scientific and business breakthroughs, such as new medicines and materials, in the years to come.

The trapped ion approach is a leading alternative in the nascent quantum computing field to using superconducting "qubits," a route taken by Google, IBM, and startups such as Rigetti Computing. Instead of relying on suspended ions manipulated by lasers, the superconducting technique involves chilling specially designed semiconductors to extremely low temperatures.

IonQ isn't the only company pursing a strategy based on ions. Industrial conglomerate Honeywell last year said that it is also trying to develop quantum computers using a similar technique.

Samsung is joining other tech giants Amazon and Google parent Alphabet's venture capital arm, GV, as a backer of IonQ. The other companies, plus the venture capital firm New Enterprise Associates, which led an earlier IonQ funding round, re-upped their commitments in the latest round."...

https://fortune.com/2019/10/22/samsung-google-amazon-quantum-computer/

Just don't call it Skynet....k

https://scitechdaily.com/new-breakthrough-for-connecting-future-quantum-computers-into-a-global-network/

In reply to #3

Re: Lyn goes political again

10/25/2019 5:32 PM

“the US has achieved quantum supremacy”

Is name calling the top of your agenda? Are we all deplorable to you too? Are you the Whistle-leaker?

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1034
In reply to #5

Re: Lyn goes political again

10/25/2019 5:46 PM

Quantum supremacy, I think, means supremacy of a Quantum computer over a conventional computer for a particular application. It doesn't mean my Quantum computer is better/bigger/faster...etc. than yours.

"In quantum computing, quantum supremacy is the potential ability of devices to solve problems that classical computers practically cannot. ... Shor's algorithm for factoring integers, which runs in polynomial time on a quantum computer, provides such a superpolynomial speedup over the best known classical algorithm."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_supremacy#targetText=In%20quantum%20computing%2C%20quantum%20supremacy,that%20classical%20computers%20practically%20cannot.&targetText=Shor's%20algorithm%20for%20factoring%20integers,the%20best%20known%20classical%20algorithm.

Register to Reply
Guru

10/26/2019 3:02 PM

IBM disagrees with Google:

vice.com/en_us/article/vb5jxd/why-ibm-thinks-google-hasnt-achieved-quantum-supremacy

If the reason for the high speed is the dual-state condition in addition to 0 and 1 states, it seems like that could be simulated in software. I once saw the older binary computers simulated in BASIC software for the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A computer.

In reply to #8

10/29/2019 9:58 PM

Here is someone doing the quantum simulation I talked about above:

ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8638597

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 937
In reply to #17

10/30/2019 10:12 AM

That's not a paper on quantum simulation. It is a paper on the theoretical math of an actual quantum computer that uses digitally switched analog circuitry. (A very interesting read, Thank You ) This is a theoretical paper. It appears that an actual computer has not been built for testing. Lots of things work in theory but not in practice.

This might be the circuit topology that Google used in its quantum computing claim.

This extremely fast computational approach still suffers from the same verification problem.

This does remind me of one of my favorite quotes of the late Yogi Beara:

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is."

In reply to #18

10/30/2019 3:43 PM

That link was given in another forum after the person said this:

"At our university, since 2018, we have a working analog quantum emulator:"

This link was also there:

quantamagazine.org/graduate-student-solves-quantum-verification-problem-

and this one:

quantamagazine.org/teenager-finds-classical-alternative-to-quantum-recommendation-algorithm-20180731/

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #19

10/30/2019 4:35 PM

That's great to hear that this was built. I disagree that this approach makes a quantum emulator. I believe it to be a different but valid approach to making actual quantum qubits.

I'm also glad to see people are looking into the enormously complex task of verifying a quantum calculation. I hope her doctoral presentation last year does turn out to be a method to verify quantum computations.

Good Answers: 1662

10/26/2019 7:07 PM

This reminds me of the lithium battery race.

Claims are cheap.

How will we ever know when superiority is actually achieved?

Current Wars is now showing. A blast from the past may help put this is perspective.

Register to Reply
Guru

10/26/2019 11:00 PM

This reminds me of Douglas Adams paradoxical answer of "42". If the only way to validate this result is with a computer operating for 10,000 years how do we know that this is output is valid?

In reply to #10

10/26/2019 11:10 PM

Well now we only have to wait 3 minutes and 20 seconds. That result can be compared to the IBM machine.

In reply to #11

10/27/2019 7:37 AM

Yeah and what if they disagree?

In reply to #12

10/27/2019 3:56 PM

Then you'd have to wonder if the quantum method is flawed, or you could try using the latest of HP's supercomputers:

sciencealert.com/hp-s-new-supercomputer-is-up-to-8-000-times-faster-than-existing-pcs

In reply to #13

10/27/2019 9:49 PM

Yes, one should wonder if the quantum method is flawed. One should wonder whenever any mystery that baffles many theoreticians is condensed into a echo chamber of less than 20 paragraph synopsizes.

I was hoping somebody would divine the nuance of my point after some careful thought but I guess I was to obtuse. My apologies.

Just because a quantum computer quickly finds an answer to a problem does not mean that the answer is unique or even correct without verification and comprehension.

42!

"I always thought something was fundamentally wrong with the universe."

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Brave Sir Robin (2); lyn (2); redfred (5); Rixter (2); SolarEagle (1); StandardsGuy (7); SWB123 (1)

Previous in Forum: Icebreaker to Spend a Year in Arctic Ice   Next in Forum: Pulse Current Through 22 Gauge Copper Wire 10us to 100us Pulse 10Hz Repeat @25C

Advertisement