Previous in Forum: Loose-tube vs Tight-buffered Fiber Optic Cable   Next in Forum: Ethernet Cable for Buried Conduit
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Power-User
United Kingdom - Member - Hobbies - HAM Radio - G7TSP Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering -

Good Answers: 1

FTTB Broadband Speed Issue - Any Openreach Guys?

10/25/2020 6:19 AM

This is the situation; I live in a medium sized town in the south of England and have paid premium rates for fibre broadband since it has been available. Back in 2014ish I signed up and had an initial download speeds of ~65Mbps, I never had any issues with connection dropouts or speed, three years ago we moved house literally across the street (from no.3 to no.7) and all was fine, speeds were a little lower ~56Mbps but I understood the variables involved and accepted it. No changes were noticed within the first year, around about this time I changed the ISP from PlusNet to Sky, this is something I did not want to do as I was perfectly happy with PlusNet but the wife wanted Sky TV and it made economic sense. Shortly after this changeover I noticed the connection speeds drop gradually bit by bit, I informed Sky who did some tests and assured me there was not a problem but they carried on dropping to ~20Mbps or so, Sky sent a couple of engineers and then basically washed their hands of me and I rejoined PlusNet.

At first speeds were back up to 55Mbps, but not for long, I have since had a guy from Openreach who said he had found a break in our box and repaired it and assured us service would return to normal, he also told my wife the speeds promised were to the box and did not include the 'last mile' on any network which I know to be a blatant lie. I am an engineer myself and I understand at times you have to 'cover your arse' when things go awry but this is proof enough to me there is a problem that he couldn't repair. There was a minuscule improvement of ~3Mbps for 24 hours then speeds plummeted once again to below what they were before the engineer arrived.

This has been going on for two years now and I am appealing for help in understanding the details about my connection to the box, what problems could occur in a cable that might not be able to be detected, layout of telecoms infrastructure within a early 1990's housing estate, procedures the ISP might adopt like throttling etc. I do have the feeling I am being fobbed off and feel I would be able to appeal to a higher authority with a better understanding of the technology.

Thanks you in advance.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 292

Re: FTTB Broadband Speed Issue - Any Openreach Guys?

10/25/2020 7:46 AM

I just tested mine at https://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband-speed-test/

Now I don't know how "independent" this web site is but they have this

On their home page.

When you do the test they ask you for your post code, and, after the test they tell you what's available at what speeds in your area.

Virgin is £70 a month, but they do offer an attractive startup package.

United Kingdom - Member - Hobbies - HAM Radio - G7TSP Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering -

10/25/2020 11:50 AM

EDIT: Sorry that should be FTTC (cabinet not box)...

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1733

10/25/2020 2:56 PM

Get a shovel, go out in the yard and cut your line, call the cable co and tell them that your cable is not working, you don't know what happened, but there was some guys out there digging, working on something, you don't know what, they will come out and change the line and fittings, make sure they get a good ground...You might want to install a good ground rod where the cable connects to the house beforehand....wink wink

In reply to #3

10/25/2020 3:03 PM

Hmmm.... That could be my last 'ditch' attempt.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1733
In reply to #4

10/25/2020 3:36 PM

Hey when you're up against a wall, who has your back....

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Lemmy70 (2); Randall (1); SolarEagle (2)

Previous in Forum: Loose-tube vs Tight-buffered Fiber Optic Cable   Next in Forum: Ethernet Cable for Buried Conduit

Advertisement