Previous in Forum: Electrostatic Charges in Pneumatic Flour   Next in Forum: U/V, O/V, E/F Protection
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 994

Big Breakthrough for 'Massless' Energy Storage

03/23/2021 8:42 PM

A battery using carbon fiber that also serves as a structural member means that the battery adds no extra weight. This is a big boon for electric vehicles, bikes, cars, and possibly eventually airplanes.

"Researchers from Chalmers University of Technology have produced a structural battery that performs ten times better than all previous versions. It contains carbon fibre that serves simultaneously as an electrode, conductor, and load-bearing material. Their latest research breakthrough paves the way for essentially 'massless' energy storage in vehicles and other technology."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/03/210322091632.htm

Login to Reply
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.
Guru

Good Answers: 1665

Re: Big breakthrough for 'massless' energy storage

03/23/2021 9:52 PM

I am intrigued by the concept, I'm just not sure it would work in actual real world circumstances....I would have to know more about the structure and vulnerabilities associated with this tech...not to mention the cost, energy density, charge discharge integrity and longevity...If a section shorts out, how do you replace it? ...or you don't...How strong is it compared to existing structural materials?...It seems that the cost would be prohibitive for the return, they make it sound like they could replace the existing structure of a car and eliminate the battery pack, I'm not buying that, I would have to be convinced...

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 913

Re: Big Breakthrough for 'Massless' Energy Storage

03/24/2021 9:36 AM

I too am intrigued by this. I have but two concerns.

My first concern will likely be mitigated by strategic engineering design but if the battery is part of the structural integrity of the vehicle, how does one replace the battery and retain vehicle integrity?

My second concern is how will this battery react when an accident occurs that breaks the structural elements that are also the battery?

03/24/2021 10:16 AM

I agree with SE and redfred, it could very well be a "Spork", something required to perform two different functions and therefore does neither function well.

Login to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 231
In reply to #3

03/25/2021 12:16 AM

At our company, a couple of us have discussed making the structure of the vehicle be part of the battery for at least a couple of decades, but the problem of what happens during and after a crash has prevented us from spending any significant time or money on it.

Good Answers: 147

03/25/2021 5:21 AM

Setting aside the claimed structural implications, if the carbon fiber acts as the electrode and conductor what serves to insulate the innards of the battery from the chassis and passengers? Does adding an external insulating layer, which must have some structural properties, defeat the whole concept?

Login to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 913
In reply to #5

03/25/2021 7:54 AM

Typically the chassis of a vehicle is already the return conductor.

Good Answers: 87

03/25/2021 11:29 AM

More and better car fires......

Login to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

03/25/2021 2:49 PM

Anyone actually bother to read the linked article? The title and claims of this continuing 'concept' are marketing-level misleading.

"We are really only limited by our imaginations here..."

Well you got that right.

This is going to require a lot of practical real-world development and testing before I get excited over yet another battery 'revolution' that in theory should work but in practice goes no where for numerous practical and/or scientific reasons/hurdles.

03/25/2021 8:10 PM

I guess we all agree, more efficient but more dangerous.

Login to Reply
Login to Reply 9 comments
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dkwarner (1); jack of all trades (1); jhhassociates (1); Jpfalt (1); redfred (2); Rixter (2); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Electrostatic Charges in Pneumatic Flour   Next in Forum: U/V, O/V, E/F Protection

Advertisement