Previous in Forum: Unusual Old Brick   Next in Forum: Tesla Solar Roof Price Hike. Breakeven Point = Never
Close
Close
Close
41 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 1665

Monkey Brain Pong

04/08/2021 9:36 PM

I ain't going to lie, this monkey is better at this game than me...

Will this little guy be doing your job in 20 years?

You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 913

Re: Monkey Brain Pong

04/08/2021 9:49 PM

Since I'm retired, I don't care who does my former job now, let alone in twenty years.

In reply to #1

04/08/2021 10:00 PM
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #2

04/08/2021 10:03 PM

I

DON'T

CARE

In reply to #3

04/08/2021 10:19 PM

Check one....

I want this

I don't want this

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 994

04/09/2021 9:30 AM

That's got to be a spooky feeling making the paddles move just by thinking about it.

Once, a long time ago, a friend of mine had an alpha brain wave detector, a kit he had put together that wasn't working. He asked me to look at it and see if I could fix it, which I was able to do by cleaning up some solder connections.

I still remember the spine-chilling feeling, making the machine beep just by the power of mind, sort of like having the power of telekinesis.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

04/09/2021 3:24 PM

The thought of brain invasion is rather frightening....Telekinesis is now possible, though in a slightly different iteration than the original concept, but still quite a leap for those lacking full mobility, and this is gratifying to see...

It's the Pandora's box of possible unintended consequences that brings visions of brain hacking by those disruptive forces that exist in the world today, now that scares the bejesus out of me....It's bad enough combatting computer hackers now, what will it be like when we have to protect our own brains from attack?

https://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/17157/hacking/brain-hacking-its-time-to-protect-our-mind-from-hackers.html

In reply to #6

04/09/2021 4:29 PM

Good Answers: 145
In reply to #6

04/09/2021 7:17 PM

Our brains have been hacked for many years now. Every time you turn on your TV.

In reply to #8

04/10/2021 5:15 PM

Good point but brain hacking goes back much farther in time than the start of television.

Remember the Maine!

For an earlier reference there's the likely disinformation campaigns of the War of the Roses and the slightly more recent efforts of Thomas Cromwell.

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #14

04/12/2021 3:36 PM

We should also consider social media (SM) as a source of "brain hacking".

Rather than trying to judge individual SM posts as true, false, propaganda, manipulation, disinformation, misinformation, etc. a message should be imposed over the media pointing out that the information being presented is NOT dependable. Because it is extremely unlikely that any SM source will ever do this IT IS UP TO THE USER TO REMEMBER IT!

Login to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 240
In reply to #6

04/13/2021 9:25 AM

Here is a simple DIY device ahead of it's time:

In reply to #5

04/13/2021 9:35 AM

Back in the '80's or '70's I saw an article where a person made a brain scanner and was able to steer his sail boat with his brain only.

It was made with Off The Shelf parts readily available at the time.

The real fear I have is just the opposite:Absolute remote control of the brain by others.

They do that now in a very supple way with commercials everywhere.

Slowly raising the temperature of the frog.

Good Answers: 231

04/09/2021 11:09 PM

This is REALLY scary! One more reason to be glad I have lived when I did! Perhaps many people of all generations feel like I do, that I lived in the very best generation, with most new technology having positive results much more than negative ones.

When I see the number of people/organizations willing to scam others (especially older folks) for nefarious reasons, I can easily visualize that this technology could likely produce more negatives than benefits.

Good Answers: 18

04/09/2021 11:25 PM

If your job isn't any more challenging than playing PONG, then this monkey could start doing your job tomorrow.

In reply to #10

04/10/2021 12:02 AM

https://www.ponggame.org/

Monkey replacement test...

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104

04/10/2021 10:06 AM

I depends on how far this racism thing goes that is being forced upon us by the D's.

04/10/2021 12:34 PM

I see that the Luddites are frightened again about how the future might change. It doesn't matter how many times they get the future wrong nor how often they misunderstand the present, when the Luddites are frightened anything can happen. So be careful how one responds to a Luddite. Anything including physical attacks on the police and other respected institutions can happen when a Luddite is afraid.

Remember, one cannot change the mind of a Luddite, for they frequently will only listen to other Luddites, anonymous or not. For some Luddites the more outlandish claims of horrific futures the more they trust the source.

Monkeys, even electrically enhanced monkeys will not be taking away menial jobs from people when so many underemployed people exist that are desperate to take on multiple jobs in order to make a living.

Good Answers: 1659
In reply to #13

04/10/2021 5:24 PM

Well put. It will be lost on most of this audience.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

04/10/2021 7:48 PM

Sounds rather racist....more hate speech from you and your comrades it seems....

In reply to #17

04/10/2021 9:24 PM

Sounds more like you don't understand the meanings of the words or the proper grammar to use them.

In reply to #18

04/10/2021 10:32 PM

I said it 'sounds racist', not that it was racist...you really need to work on your comprehension skills...

In reply to #19

04/11/2021 9:38 AM

I guess I should thank you. You've demonstrated my point that even careful responses to a frightened Luddite can lead to anything happening.

In reply to #19

04/11/2021 9:59 AM

Thank You

In reply to #21

04/11/2021 6:19 PM

Playing chess with the pigeons again, I see.

"Neo-Luddism or new Luddism is a philosophy opposing many forms of modern technology. The term Luddite is generally used as a pejorative applied to people showing technophobic leanings."

I'm still looking for ANY reference to racism. Again, the Luddites here are unknowing.

Login to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #22

04/11/2021 8:58 PM

It's a futile exercise only if one still hopes for the pigeon to learn. I no longer hope for this to happen. As I said earlier, I don't care.

Sometimes I use this mental exercise of dealing with pigeons as a test of my patience and civility. Irrational, inaccurate name calling is a sure sign of a pigeon dropping a load.

At the same time, I support Luddites expressing their concerns as long as they don't irrationally act on their fears or coerce their fears on others. This does a useful thing. It often identifies a plausible concern early enough that the consequences of the act can be mitigated.

In reply to #23

04/13/2021 1:27 PM

There is still hope for the Luddites/Pigeons here.

Here's their 15 seconds of fame⇓

Pigeon - guided missiles – Military History Matters

Login to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #35

04/13/2021 3:37 PM

That sounds more like a Tex Avery or Max Fleischer cartoon plot instead of something the Navy would seriously consider, even during WWII.

Good Answers: 272
In reply to #35

04/14/2021 10:13 AM

Ha ha Kamikaze pigeons

In reply to #38

04/19/2021 11:20 PM

Kung fu cat...

In reply to #39

04/20/2021 12:00 PM

Wow! What clever video editing can do!

In reply to #17

04/13/2021 10:01 AM

There are external forces at work with the goal of destruction of democracy.

It only takes a few loud voices to incite an otherwise peaceful rally.

Mob mentality is well known.It is the loss of personal thought and is a largely emotional process that makes people do what they would not normally do.It is contagious,and spreads like a fire from a single spark.

A single spark,like a brick through a window will incite others nearby to follow suit,soon the entire crowd is a destructive inferno of destruction,having lost the original intent of the protest,having the opposite effect on the general populace.

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools"..Martin Luther King jr.

More relevant today than ever.

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 17
In reply to #13

04/12/2021 6:14 PM

An adult Luddites will resist change, their children might adapt, a little...

''illigitimi non carborundum...''(i.e.: don't let the fatherless (self-deluding,sabotaging, long-term-memory-impaired, knee-jerking, cheap-shotting, mono-syllabic, self-annointed, shadow-lurking, back-biting, off-topic-inquisitors) grind you down...)
Login to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #13

04/12/2021 7:52 PM

Please clarify; what ideas in the post are you referring to as "Luddite"? Are you equating the Luddite resistance to advancing technology to resistance to a contemporary movement towards political change? If so, please clarify which movement you associate with the Luddites, one to make the nation better in the future or one to recapture its greatness from the past?

When any group is frightened anything can happen. Never underestimate the power of large groups of uninformed people. I don't want to argue, this is just the first time I've seen Luddite "culture" brought into a "political" discussion. Time for me to dig deeper...

Scientific American has published some interesting articles about left and right brain function. To my understanding the Luddites were more of the "this is fine the way it is" rather than the "hey, let's check this out" kind of people.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/conservative-and-liberal-brains-might-have-some-real-differences/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/calling-truce-political-wars/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/left-brains-vs-right-brains/

Login to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #26

04/12/2021 9:55 PM

You have correctly answered your own question. The Luddites I am referring to here are the ones here repelled to this "mind reading" (for the lack of a better term) technology because of their unstated dark ideas about how this technology terrifies them. They completely ignore the presentations stated noble goal of enabling people to interact with others when only their brains are capable.

Have we already forgotten about how much spectacular work Steven Hawking produced long after he could no longer control his body.

I indirectly referred to recent political actions here in the US only to show a recent event on how dangerous frightened people can be. There are many other earlier incidents of "good" but frightened people doing horrific acts in their distorted views of doing the greater good: the followers of Ned Ludd, Jonestown, May 31, 1921 Tulsa Oklahoma, Rwanda 1994 and the uncountable desperate tragedies that happen as a sideline of any war to name just a few.

In reply to #27

04/12/2021 11:42 PM

I presume I am one of those you are calling Luddites. If so, I believe that is the first time anyone has referred to me in that manner. I'm usually considered to be close to the opposite end of that scale... I have introduced literally hundreds of people to technologies that were new to them, and plan to continue to do so.

On the other hand, I am alarmed at the number of people whose mores (or lack thereof) allow them to steal from innocent and somewhat helpless people. And I am alarmed that the authorities here in the US have done so little to stop it. At the moment I'm thinking of phone and computer scams. Just a few days ago, a friend in Germany said they don't have a problem with phone scams there, because they enforce the laws!

I've never understood how it is possible for callers to "spoof" phone numbers, so it is impossible for most people to block these calls. I get at least one scam call almost every day, and have gotten at least two that purportedly came from my own phone number.

I certainly don't want to prevent or limit the development of technologies that help otherwise incapacitated people from leading more nearly normal lives, and your mention of Steven Hawking is a perfect example of that. BUT, the large numbers of individuals and groups that are using all sorts of technologies in nefarious manners makes me highly wary of possible infringements.

In reply to #28

04/13/2021 9:00 AM

I'm guilty of this kneejerk response from time to time, too. It is a good response to have if we use it to prevent new technology from abusing others.

What particularly annoyed me was the OP immediately misappropriating the point of this research video from helping the disabled to the evil fantasy of monkeys taking jobs from people. The logistics of such an endeavor should prevent that from happening, alone.

But your spam phone calling is exactly one of the examples of how new technology can be misused. A low cost, slave like, computer program initiates a cold canvas call to as many numbers as the silicon can dial. The program then uses an algorithm to decide either feeding the call to a bank of people or to hang up. Using a monkey for this task would be cost prohibitive.

In reply to #29

04/13/2021 11:01 AM

Hehehe...

In reply to #34

04/14/2021 2:09 AM

We are the Borg...

Good Answers: 12

04/10/2021 5:25 PM

Very interesting and, potentially, disturbing. Let's pretend a perfectly healthy person is trained to operate devices from afar via a closed circuit video link. They could, theoretically, use their ability to attack people and systems and stay safely far away from the mayhem they've created. On the plus side it would be a great boon to those with disabilities. There is always a yin/yang with any technology so we strive to do good understanding the bad is always lingering in the background...

You do provide a lot of interesting stuff... thanks

Login to Reply
Guru

04/13/2021 9:15 AM

Congress and the Senate have been run by monkeys for along time,and they love playing games.

05/19/2021 9:19 AM

Man vs beast

In what is shaping up to be the video challenge of the century, a man has stepped forward to challenge the monkey in a game of thought pong...

..."Copeland says he is now ready to challenge the monkey to the first “interspecies battle” in Pong.

“We are preparing and training already,” says Copeland, who played his first games of thought Pong this week."...

..." He admits it was a “tough” question whether to challenge Musk’s monkey or not. “I could get my ass beat,” he says. “But yeah, I would play.”"...

"If a mind match occurs, Neuralink’s primate would have the advantage of a next-generation interface, which the company calls “the Link.” While Copeland has to attach cables to two ports on his skull, Neuralink’s implant is about the size of a soda bottle cap and is embedded entirely in the skull. It transmits the brain recordings wirelessly, via Bluetooth."

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/05/14/1024907/musk-neuralink-man-monkey-mindpong-challenge-video-game/

Who knows what this could lead to, interspecies tournaments of all types perhaps...teams of primates battling other species? Could this be the next big thing?

Monkey's vs Apes? the beginning of the Planet of the Apes? Dogs vs cats in a battle to the finish? Get your bets down ....sorry bananas only...I'll put a bunch down!

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dkwarner (3); gringogreg (1); HiTekRedNek (4); lyn (3); Mfmatusky (2); MR. Guest (1); R_i_c_h (1); Randall (1); redfred (11); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (11); StandardsGuy (1); SWB123 (1)

Previous in Forum: Unusual Old Brick   Next in Forum: Tesla Solar Roof Price Hike. Breakeven Point = Never

Advertisement