Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Power-User

Circulating Cooling Oil for Knife Drives

05/22/2021 5:24 AM

Hi;

We are working for selection of a rotary cut-off for our corrugator machine and getting quotations of different companies. A USA company offered their cut-off having drives and motors in one cabinet having two parts.

Supplier quotes:
"Below is photo of a 100L (two motor per level) Knife designed for 350 MPM.
We have an ingenious cooling design that circulates cooling oil along the aluminium backplane of the drives (see attached photo 0110) and the motors as seen here below to remove heat rapidly. This keeps the motors size compact and powerful".

I want to know if anyone of you people has same kind of OIL COOLED drive in their machine? I have some concerns that such kind of cooling system can create problems.

You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1665

Re: Circulating Cooling Oil for Knife Drives

05/22/2021 6:33 AM

What sort of problems are you concerned about? I would just say that using the correct oil is important, and the maintenance interval and cost as well....I would also check the operating parameters stated to see that you will be operating this machine within these limits...I would also be concerned with technical support, both the quality and availability of tech support at my location is required...and delivery and setup is included in price or is shipping extra with DIY installation required...and any other relevant materials or power requirements must be checked...noise levels, safety equipment required, is operation straight forward or is operator instruction required, how much, how long...You need to know the measurements of the machine, will it fit in the designated location, will it fit through the doors, how heavy is it, what's required to move it, what other materials will you need to set it up...Does the machine need special mount....So basically you need a check list of anything and everything that will be involved in the purchase, delivery and operation of this machine...

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 913

05/22/2021 9:01 AM

Since this system is designed with an active cooling system the cooling system should at least interlock operation if not additionally monitor cooling trends. Monitoring critical cooling attributes (fluid temperature, flow rate, color, etc.) over time to organize maintenance would be my preference.

Remember, perfect maintenance extends equipment lifetimes, it doesn't make equipment eternal. Entropy rules everything!

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 913
In reply to #2

05/22/2021 12:19 PM

Monitoring and documenting the cooling system allows for six sigma quality control of the maintenance of this device.

Good Answers: 67

05/23/2021 11:29 AM

While I have never seen anything like this installed before, paper & aluminum machinery experience, maybe the thing to look at is what other components are eliminated by this design, such as couplings, gearboxes, CV joints or universal shafts? It may be that keeping the oil cooling system leak free and clean may be the lesser evil than keeping a much larger component count to the good in your reliability analysis.

My aluminum hot rolling experience shows that the high pressure hydraulics are the components that fail with shock loads, I doubt that a cooling system will be affected like that.

In paper, keeping air cooled machines clean is a big problem, so that could be a challenge, how you get rid of the heat.

Login to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 240

05/27/2021 6:27 AM

If I understand this right based on the limited info provided,the heat is dissipated by an aluminum plate ,not a radiator.Therefor the ambient temperature will have a big effect on the oil temperature,as well as the cleanliness of the exterior of the cabinet,since it is used to dissipate heat.

The main concern with oil is leaks,but no more so than any other liquid medium.It does not appear to have any shock loads on the hydraulic system,and the pump motor and pump ,as well as the oil filter are readily accessible.I would ask for a bottom removable plate under the oil filter to allow for a catch pan under the cabinet when changing it out,to prevent oil on the bottom of the cabinet

It appears that they are providing temperature monitoring of the oil,as well as level in the reservoir,but double check with them to be sure.

It also appears they have position encoders on the motors,and probably temperature sensors as well.

The company should also provide a daily,weekly,monthly,quarterly,as well as an annual estimate of maintenance procedures and hours required for proper operation.

There should also be a detailed parts breakdown and unlimited access to software.

Seal all conduits and ducting to prevent dust accumulation,and your specific environment may require explosion proof enclosure due to combustible dusts,which is another chapter of regulations.

Perform your research and exercise due diligence and you should get good service from any machine.

Good luck!

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

HiTekRedNek (1); redfred (2); rwilliams (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: 25 Hz Input 60 Hz Output   Next in Forum: DG Speed Variation

Advertisement