Previous in Forum: The Coming Deluge of Waste From Green Generated Energy   Next in Forum: Klingon Cloaking
Close
Close
Close
24 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 1665

This Lopsided Earth

06/19/2021 2:11 PM

What effect, if any, would you think this might have on the Earth's rotation? Gravitational variation on Earth? Magnetic field? If, as this implies. the Earth's core is cooling, what effect might that have on climate?

You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 994

Re: This Lopsided Earth

06/19/2021 5:27 PM

What effect, if any, would you think this might have on the Earth's rotation? Gravitational variation on Earth? Magnetic field? If, as this implies. the Earth's core is cooling, what effect might that have on climate?

Well, the inner core has a slightly larger density than the outer core (12.9 vs 11.0 g/cm3), so the uneven "freezing" of the liquid core would tend to move the earth's center of gravity a little over time. But the earth's mass distribution is not uniform as measurements of the gravity fields by the NASA Grace satellites show.

NASA - Amazing GRACE

Some of this asymmetry may be due to the solid core.

The center of gravity of the earth-moon system is 42 km from the earth's center. The moon's mass is much greater than the asymmetrical core and it is very much farther from the center of gravity. So, my guess is that any effects from the core asymmetry would be extremely minor or immeasureable.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #1

06/19/2021 9:13 PM

In reply to #3

06/19/2021 10:01 PM

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #4

06/19/2021 11:52 PM

Sorry but this graphic hurts my head... I'm not sure what I'm supposed to get other than a view of planetary rotation.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

06/20/2021 12:13 AM

It's the big picture....you are not required to stare at it....

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 399
In reply to #7

06/21/2021 10:28 PM

It helps if you are listening to this while staring at this graphic.

Login to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #22

06/23/2021 1:58 PM

In reply to #1

06/19/2021 10:37 PM

I wonder if Indonesia is sinking? Could they be the next Atlantis?

..."Flood-prone Jakarta is the world's fastest sinking city — as fast as 10 centimetres per year. In parts of North Jakarta, which is particularly susceptible to flooding, the ground has sunk 2.5 metres in 10 years. ... Currently, 40 per cent of Jakarta's residents lack access to piped water.Dec 22, 2020"...

Haha.... of course they blame it on global warming....

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/cnainsider/why-jakarta-is-world-fastest-sinking-city-floods-climate-change-12477156

Good Answers: 86

06/19/2021 8:03 PM

What do you mean, isn't the earth flat?

Anyway this only implies that there is some unknown localized energy release deep inside there. This -if true- is not explainable by by conventional thermal energy transmission direction: center to surface on a relatively homogenous mass. It coud of course be just energy transmission (electromagneticaly?)- from somewhere (?) and not local production This may may well be the cause or result of imminent magnetic pole reversal. And I'm sure CO2 is somehow involved, so don't let Al hear about it. S.M.

06/19/2021 11:50 PM

I found this to be fascinating but I'm having a bit of difficulty understand the West-East differences. North-South seems understandable because the earths axis, for the most part, is fixed but West-East??? The earth is rotating CCW so we see the sun rising in the east and setting in the west but how, then, could there be an accumulation favoring the West and opposed to the East? Just were does the West start? Where-ever it starts from I assume the East is on the opposite side of West. This aspect makes no sense to me, but I have been known to be slow to catch-on to things some times...

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

06/20/2021 12:16 AM

The Prime Meridian divides the globe into Eastern and Western hemispheres, just as the equator divides the globe into Northern and Southern hemispheres.

In reply to #9

06/20/2021 3:19 PM

Yes, but the prime meridian is an artificial construct which could have been defined somewhere in India or Mongolia. I suppose the moon could have some bearing on this. The moon isn't exactly aligned with our spin-axis and perhaps creates an uneven drag on the molten/liquid part of the core causing tides, like it does with the oceans. This could in turn create a rotating hot spot with the cool side "snowing" the nickel-iron, but in an uneven fashion, causing some nonuniform build-up. I would think the inner core could be rotating from the drag of the outer core, so both rotate but not in sync resulting in a greater nonuniform effect.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

06/20/2021 6:59 AM

Maybe it's like when your clothes in the washing machine are off balance on the spin cycle.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

06/20/2021 1:52 PM

Seems like this would cause a gravitational oscillation effect on the Moon....Also seems like the imbalance would cause some loss in kinetic energy, which would then result in some loss of speed....or acceleration in entropy...

...."But the energy gained as the Moon is pushed higher is balanced by a reduction in the energy of its motion - so an acceleration provided by the Earth's tides is actually slowing the Moon down.Feb 1, 2011"...

So I guess it's slowing down anyway from the tidal action....and slowly moving further away....

..."On early Earth, when the Moon was newly formed, days were five hours long, but with the Moon's braking effect operating on the Earth for the last 4.5bn years, days have slowed down to the 24 hours that we are familiar with now, and they will continue to slow down in the future.

We can see some evidence of the slowdown in the fossil records of some creatures.

By looking at the daily growth bands of corals we can calculate the numbers of days that occurred per year in past periods, and from this we can see that days are getting longer, at a rate of 19 hours every 4.5bn years.

The length of a day, or in other words the rotation speed of the planet, plays a big part in its stability.

Just like keeping a plate spinning on a stick, the key is to have the plate spinning fast, as if it slows down it crashes to the floor. In a similar way, as the Earth's rotation slows down, our whole planet may start to slowly wobble and this will have a devastating effect on our seasons."...

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-12311119

In reply to #11

06/20/2021 3:23 PM

Don't worry I understand that everything is controlled by the amount of CO2 that the human component of the ecosystem produces...Maybe if we moved the entire population of Indonesia to South America that would balance it out....? Maybe we can control the length of the day as well...If we could get the full Moon to only happen on Monday's instead of Fridays or Saturdays, it would hold the crazy people in check a little bit better, cause Gd knows we need help....How about instead of a war on drugs we have a war on crazy? It's a target rich environment out there...

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #11

06/20/2021 7:44 PM

Could all this account for the Wobble Jump supposedly exhibited in the past?

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

06/20/2021 8:40 PM

Could you clarify the question, wobble jump is undefined....

Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #11

06/21/2021 9:51 AM

Seems like this would cause a gravitational oscillation effect on the Moon.

Conjecture: What is the resonate frequency? By the WAG method, it feels like this would have almost zero effect because the imposed frequency is so much faster than the resonant frequency.

In reply to #10

06/20/2021 3:00 PM

You could be right but with the unbalanced washing machine analogy; I would think a spinning object, weighted on one side would cause a "beat" to occur in the spin, causing the earth to wobble more and more and would be enough of an effect to be measurable.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

06/21/2021 8:44 AM

A much more likely explanation for the asymmetry might have to do with heat transfer. Differences in temperature might well affect this precipitation (iron snow) just as differences in temperature affect precipitation in the atmosphere.

"Differences in the crust we see as continents influence how energy radiates out into space. For example, deep sections of the crust under Central America do an exceptional job of pulling heat from the core.

These differences could reasonably add up to variations in the way the iron drifts solidify around the core, making sound waves slow down more in the western hemisphere than the eastern."

There Could Be Iron 'Snow' Falling Within Our Planet's Core, New Study Shows (sciencealert.com)

Login to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 86
In reply to #18

06/21/2021 6:03 PM

Or it could be the aftermath of the prehistorical asteroid -long before the one responsible for dinosaur extinction, that one was peanuts really- that when hit the earth, Moon popped right out. Just takes too long to digest. Geological phenomena is possibly earth still b*rping and f*rting from that unhealthy snack... S.M.

In reply to #18

06/21/2021 6:12 PM

Your explanation seems to me to be better than mine. Interesting idea.

Login to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 272
In reply to #18

06/30/2021 6:27 AM

"A much more likely explanation for the asymmetry might have to do with heat transfer."

I agree.

It looks to me as if there is a lot more ocean in the Western hemisphere and a lot more land in the Eastern.

Very roughly the ocean is an average of about 2.3 miles deep, and the temperature at the bottom of the ocean is close to freezing point; the temperature 2.3 miles "deep" on land is above 100°C.

Good Answers: 5

06/21/2021 4:58 AM

Hi, I thought that was the case that is why the highest mountain from the center of the earth is in South America.

Hasn't this imbalance have something to do with our seasons isn't that why our spaceship goes in an electable path, our way of life, depends on this.

Never had time to think that much, Thanks Mate, you got me thinking, but I don't have any solutions tonight.

Login to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Login to Reply 24 comments
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Brave Sir Robin (1); Joe Sparky (1); Lehman57 (1); R_i_c_h (5); Randall (1); Rixter (3); SimpleMind (2); SolarEagle (9)

Previous in Forum: The Coming Deluge of Waste From Green Generated Energy   Next in Forum: Klingon Cloaking

Advertisement