Previous in Forum: Finger Friction and Hydration   Next in Forum: Elon Musk, The Scourge of the High C's
Close
Close
Close
24 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 1665

Dry Water

08/19/2021 2:06 AM

Discounting present high prices, what future uses do you think this dry water is well suited for?

You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 133

Re: Dry Water

08/19/2021 7:03 AM

Looks like it could be good for cooling electronics.

I would have liked to try a sample of it a few years ago. Some cooling fluids seem to be able to leak through almost anything (even solid tube). The "wet paper" demonstrations suggest that this is thick and won't exhibit the "thin and therefore leaks" characteristics.

Location: Under the spreading Bunya Trees, South Burnett, Queensland, Australia
Good Answers: 47
In reply to #1

08/21/2021 6:32 AM

The best chemical I ever tested for cooling all manner of things was PCB, poly chlorinated bisphenol, shame if caused cancer! It was used in underground coal mine transformers and switchgear and when testing it in the standard oil test cell even at extreme high voltage it would not break down but flash over the outside of the test cell. It looked like water as did the next entrant.

Another chemical contained in HV liquid fuses was trichlorethylene and it also had great insulating properties and showed the same reluctance to breakdown but it must have fallen foul, or is that fowl of California but then to seal the brass cap to the glass tubes in the fuses we used glycerin and white lead as an expanding sealer.

But wait I am still here and it has had ner ner f fict on meee.

Good Answers: 240

08/19/2021 8:58 AM

I have some Instant Water for sale.Only $99.Makes over 100 gallon if you order the economy size;It comes in a sealed pack,like Kool Aid,but it is invisible (I am from the gov'mnt and you can trust me on this).

Simply pay shipping and handling of 4 easy payments of $29.95.

Temporarily marked down from $29.96..hurry!At these prices they wont last long.

These sales will evaporate soon!

(Bulk discounts available for California residents).

Simply pour it into a glass and add water...Walla..Instant Water!

Good Answers: 28
In reply to #2

08/21/2021 10:11 AM

RFP xy2021

Dear Sir

1. Please confirm that your 100 gallon invisible packet will produce 378.54118 litres of water.

2. Is the Walla included or is he/she an additional extra?

3. Is the Walla utilized to stir the mixture or can this be done utiizing our own Walla, with a plastic teaspoon, spork or Kenwood Chef hand mixer

4. Can rain water be used or should the water be contaminated with chlorines and heavy metal particulates?

5. Please advise of any pollutant substances such as dry H2O, wet oxygen, pullminated carbon dioxide, dehydrated methane, powered ammonia or recycled hydrogen sulphide (sulfide).

We look forward to your communication and delivery.

Purchasing Dept. for Dried Up Dams (DUD)

Washington DC (Deftly Clever)

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

08/21/2021 11:19 AM

Yes,it will make the stated amount.However,it weighs just as much as the water itself,so shipping will be higher,of course.(Conservation of mass,you see.)

The Walla is an option,but is not needed in most cases,only if contaminated with Unobtaineum(UUO) 118 and UnUnPentium115(UUP).

If you live in Washington state,Walla is a local purchase and readily obtainable,so we advise you to obtain it locally.

Notice:We do not ship to Washington,DC. ,due to excessive turbulence caused by an updraft of hot air heavily contaminated with methane.This updraft sucks in all surrounding methane,and has an uncanny ability to reproduce spontaneously every 4 years.(Anyone from Texas will recognize the smell as the same as a cattle herd.)You will have to pick up your order by FedXYZ at the freight terminal in Baltimore.

Rain water or run off from iron mines will work equally well,since there is really any difference now.

The Ph level is about the same.

DO NOT MIX WITH DRY WATER!It will cause a drought in your state!

You can,however add prilled CO2 to get a fizzy drink,but do not add brimstone or sulphurized egg shells to make a smoothie..severe indigestion and horrible flatulence will follow,and the CDC will investigate the massive outbreak of nausea in your surrounding area.

We await further instructions.

Due,Wee,Cheetum&Howe,inc.

In reply to #14

08/21/2021 7:09 PM

Attention":All customers that purchase Instant Water:

I will include 1 dozen pet rocks, various sizes and colors,in good rock solid condition for free.No additional shipping charges.

Hurry!Supplies are limited.

This offer expires soon.

Location: Under the spreading Bunya Trees, South Burnett, Queensland, Australia
Good Answers: 47
In reply to #2

08/21/2021 4:54 PM

I have dehydrated water for sale, makes 100L when added to 100L of wet water, ideal for those senseless people who have everything.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #2

08/24/2021 10:19 AM

Walla Voilà.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #21

08/26/2021 11:45 AM

That's French,boy,French.

I speak good ole Rednek Ameericun.

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 994

08/19/2021 10:21 AM

It seems to be pretty safe stuff ... doesn't even cause cancer in California.

Microsoft Word - Novec_1230 material Safety Data Sheet (safelincs.co.uk)

Login to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 87
In reply to #3

08/19/2021 11:51 AM

We use the 3M Fluorinert liquid from the same family for insulation when testing high voltage assemblies. It's expensive stuff but worth it for the time it saves in preparation & clean up.

Good Answers: 231
In reply to #3

08/21/2021 9:58 AM

"pretty safe stuff" ...except after it combusts/decomposes. HF (Hydrogen Fluoride or Hydrofluoric Acid) will dissolve glass, among other things.

08/19/2021 7:16 PM

What about a fire suppressant in lithium battery banks....It would help to cool the battery pack and then when the temperature caused the dry water to reach a certain pressure, it would slowly release into the battery pack suppressing any fire...

Good Answers: 1659
In reply to #5

08/19/2021 8:53 PM

This wonder fluid, "does not wet the surface." So it cannot cool, since it cannot burn, as demonstrated also by dunking fingers into "boiling" 'dry water.'

But, "you can use it as a barbell."

Does it cure Covid too? Asking for a friend.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

08/20/2021 12:42 AM

Don't tell me you got it again ?! What you go around licking handrails? Kissing bandit?

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104
In reply to #6

08/21/2021 12:45 PM

There is no logic in your statement. Also too bad you are #2 (in more ways than 1).

Good Answers: 231

08/21/2021 12:14 AM

I have a very strong objection to the substance being called dry water! I gather it is a fluorocarbon liquid, more closely related to Freon than to water.

In reply to #8

08/21/2021 1:38 AM
Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #8

08/21/2021 1:05 PM

I totally agree.

Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #8

08/22/2021 12:40 AM

You are correct it is a fluorocarbon liquid and has been around for years. We used to fill the electric motors cavities with this on under water vehicles to avoid ingress of water under pressure.

Good Answers: 28

08/21/2021 8:09 AM

If I recall correctly, when I worked for 3M we used this for soldering PC board components. If you heat the fluid in a beaker it produces a cloud that when the PC board, with components fitted with solder beads, (they look like tiny doughnuts), the solder flows immediately without heating and does not cause damage to the film on the board. Also does not allow a dry joint at the solder points. That was back in 1987 or thereabouts.

The cloud is barely seen in the video of the smoke from the matchstick. The dry water was used to cool PC boards in huge glass vats in server stations. But I stand corrected on the fluid. Never quite forgot how clever it all seemed.

One of the mentions was that 3M could use the water to replace blood in a body as it held oxygen easily. Not sure if this was true but I recall the claims that it was possible. Maybe someone who worked for 3M can offer some further insight.

Login to Reply
Guru

08/21/2021 7:20 PM

The really strange liquid is Perflourocarbon,which is breathable by mammals.

Check this out:

https://www.lifepersona.com/the-perfluorocarbon-the-breathable-liquid-where-nobody-drowns

Good Answers: 125
In reply to #19

08/26/2021 9:01 AM

I remember reading an article in a science magazine some time around High School (early 70s) about this. The Navy was experimenting with ways to have divers breathing a liquid, probably the perfluor mentioned. The main problem with "breathing" a liquid is that our lungs are not designed for it, but rather for pumping a gas in and out. The liquid would move in and out the bronchial tubes, but in the alveoli where the oxygen/CO2 transfer occurs, the liquid would "pool" and not be exchanged well due to its higher density/viscosity. So the person didn't get enough O2 to be able to function well.

If our lungs were set up to run a fluid (gas or liquid) through them with separate inlets and outlets like our heart has, then this would be much more workable. But since we have to breathe in and out through the same passages, a good solution is yet to be found.

In reply to #22

08/26/2021 11:50 AM

I am sure there was further development on this,like infusing the liquid with excess oxygen.

Of course,the public would be the last ones to know.

Military hardware, and,software is usually about 10 years ahead of commercial release.

Who knows,they may have developed a real gill by now,using thin membranes for gas exchange.There were rumors of this back in the 70's.

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

agua_doc (1); Anonymous Poster (1); BruceFlorida (1); dkwarner (2); garth (1); HiTekRedNek (6); IQ (2); lyn (1); Nigh (1); PeterT (1); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (3); StandardsGuy (1); Stef (2)

Previous in Forum: Finger Friction and Hydration   Next in Forum: Elon Musk, The Scourge of the High C's

Advertisement