Previous in Forum: Cleaning up the Oceans   Next in Forum: Thorium-Fueled Reactors Offer Huge Potential Benefits for the Nuclear Power Industry
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 52

Laser rust cleaning technology

11/08/2021 2:41 PM

I just saw a video on a machine that cleans rust via a laser. At first, I thought it was a joke, but I've done a little research and it's true. Fiber laser is what they call it. 50W and up seems to be the power needed to remove rust. The manufacturers claim that it will clean deep crusty rust - it would be interesting to see if it does - you know, the bubbly stuff that you can poke a pick through.

I did a search on Alibaba and it looks like the prices of a China made machine is around $1K.

I'm curious if anyone has personally used one of these machines to clean rust.

Here's the website that piqued my interest. https://www.p-laser.com/corrosion-treatment

You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Re: Laser rust cleaning technology

11/08/2021 2:43 PM

I'm thinking this would be great for not only rust removal on things like auto body panels, etc, but also on fine intricate things that need to be cleaned. Small parts cleaning for a restoration project, hardware in the home, clean up fresh welds, prep for paint, copper/brass oxidation removal, wheel cleaning, etc.

Guru

Good Answers: 1683

11/08/2021 3:04 PM

Yeah evidently they work great, but what has held this technology back is the cost, the machines are hideously expensive...like around $500k

How much does a laser rust removal machine cost? "The cheapest version on the market is a much smaller, less-powerful 20W unit that starts at $80,000 (£62,000). That 1000W specimen from the video would set you back an eye-watering $480,000 (£370,000)."

I would love to have one of these, this is from 2 years ago I don't think prices have come down that much...let's face it if it was practical every body and restoration shop would have several...

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/does-laser-rust-removal-work-and-is-it-affordable/

https://adapt-laser.com/laser-cleaning-vs-sandblasting/

11/08/2021 4:06 PM

It would be nice to have a rust removal service sort of like a jiffy lube, where they would have a couple rows of these lasers de-rust the whole bottom of the car and then hit it with a coat of POR15 from underneath....how much could you charge? $500.? $1000.?

How much does it cost to remove undercarriage rust?

"You can expect to pay about $500 or so to get a permanent rust proofing done at a shop which seems steep, but if this is a new car you're looking at upwards of 10 years of rust protection, which makes the expense more than reasonable." Apr 5, 2020

In reply to #3

11/08/2021 5:50 PM

I have no clue what an acre means, but they advertise this for $200. Not sure if that's the price of the machine and what size machine.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Fiber-Laser-Cleaning-Machine-Removal-Metal_1600372991381.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normal_offer.d_title.76ae20c7nfaw57

In reply to #3

11/08/2021 5:51 PM

In reply to #3

11/08/2021 5:52 PM

Could be a great business idea. I wonder what OSHA would have to say about worker safety?

In reply to #6

11/08/2021 9:13 PM

Well I was envisioning robotic controlled machines with a remote supervisor operator...

....since the bottom of the car is uneven and has an unknown amount of rust, the bottom would be scanned first to map the paths of the lasers who must vary their positions plus or minus from a neutral position, and the car would be on a roller assembly to allow the drive wheels to turn for drive shaft to be evenly treated for balance...and the exhaust pipes might be cleaned but not coated, or have a special coating, and any rubber bushings would be avoided....

Maybe 4 robotic arms working in collaboration

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1006
In reply to #6

11/09/2021 8:15 AM

I wonder what OSHA would have to say about worker safety?

Shining a 50W laser at a piece of metal...what could go wrong?

Login to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Born, raised halfway 'round .....

Good Answers: 24
In reply to #10

11/09/2021 8:57 AM

Yes, I agree especially if the material has a stained stainless steel surface..

Good Answers: 279

11/08/2021 9:54 PM

This video is of an inexpensive very powerful pulsed laser.

It is sold for tattoo removal but the demonstrations in the video suggest it might perform well at things like rust removal and cleaning coatings off surfaces as well.

Guru

Good Answers: 148
In reply to #8

11/09/2021 5:03 AM

This cleaning technique does use pulsed laser so the costs quoted in earlier posts are greatly over inflated. To suggest that the technique is new or revolutionary is incorrect. It was developed by Liverpool Museums Conservation Centre in the 1990s for cleaning marble statues and I first saw it being used in about 1998. Between 1998 and 2012 they had extended the range of materials that could be cleaned and in 2012-13 it was used to clean a bronze statue of Admiral Horatio Nelson ready for the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar in 2013. That statue was cleaned in situ in Liverpool's Exchange Flags Square, so the equipment must also have been substantially reduced in size as the kit I saw being used in 1998 was too big to be hauled to the top of a 30m high column. The concept can be traced back to the spark erosion equipment being used by Rolls Royce to machine jet engine turbine blades in the 1970s.

Login to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 111
In reply to #9

11/09/2021 12:51 PM

Odd. Battle of Trafalgar 1805.

Did lateness qualify for funding as an art form?

Login to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 148
In reply to #12

11/09/2021 3:51 PM

Apologies. You are correct. It was 200 years after the installation of Nelson's statue in Liverpool's Exchange Flags Square

Login to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 111
In reply to #13

11/10/2021 8:28 AM

Apologies accepted. Nelson knew about copper-cladding ships to cut worm attack and weed fouling, so they could blockade for longer and pursue faster. A bronze statue fits.

Maybe the laser will finally match the Sci-Fi.

Battle Android "Yah, Boo! Missed!". Laser Android "Try shaking your head!".

Login to Reply
Guru

11/10/2021 9:09 PM

Hard to beat dustless car blasting for large jobs...

"The average full-size car takes about 2 hrs to do. Most Dustless Blasters charge around $300/hr. That's only about $500-$700 for a car!"

Good Answers: 242

11/11/2021 12:06 PM

Everything is getting smaller and cheaper.

If the trend continues,eventually everything will be free,so just wait.

Good Answers: 279
In reply to #16

Re: smaller and cheaper

11/14/2021 7:32 AM

eventually everything will be free, but unfortunately by that time everything will also be too small to use.

Good Answers: 242
In reply to #17

Re: smaller and cheaper

11/14/2021 8:46 AM

Next stage:Shrink humans down in size to use less resources,eventually down to bacteria or virus size but with more intelligence---wait a minute...nature has already done that.Viruses and bacteria are always outsmarting us.

TAJSAJ!*

*That's A Joke,Son,A Joke!... (Foghorn Leghorn)

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

67model (2); Autobroker (4); HiTekRedNek (2); jhhassociates (2); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (4); truth is not a compromise (2); vsar (1)

Previous in Forum: Cleaning up the Oceans   Next in Forum: Thorium-Fueled Reactors Offer Huge Potential Benefits for the Nuclear Power Industry

Advertisement