Previous in Forum: Has anyone got experience with Dental Loupes?   Next in Forum: Recycling plastic
Close
Close
Close
19 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 275

Does anyone have recommendations for 3D magnifiers for PCB work?

11/14/2021 7:39 AM

I already posted this question, but it does not appear in the list of Latest Forum Threads.

Fortunately I cross referenced it in another thread, and Solar Eagle was kind enough to PM me to say that the thread will not allow replies. (Without that I probably would not have noticed that it does not appear in the Latest Forum Threads, and would just wondered why I had had no replies)

Anyway maybe I broke some CR4 rules regarding advertisements (although the post has not been deleted) so I will just précis it here.

I am thinking of buying some dental loupes they are used by dentists to give 3.5 x magnification at 420mm with a good depth of vision. I suspect that because they are designed for a focal distance of 420mm, then if I used them on top of cheap reading glasses I could get much more magnification at a much shorter focal distance.

Alternatively, there are magnifiers with interchangeable lenses (called EEEKit) that give from 1 to 14 times magnification, but I'm not sure that they will have the same 3D depth of field.

Solar was also kind enough to point me to some digital microscopes with a small LCD display: I've got one of those, they're great for some jobs but they do not have any depth of field.

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1003

Re: Does anyone have recommendations for 3D magnifiers for PCB work.

11/14/2021 10:02 AM

I suspect that because they are designed for a focal distance of 420mm, then if I used them on top of cheap reading glasses I could get much more magnification at a much shorter focal distance.

The focal length of a lens, f, is the distance at which it will focus parallel rays, for example, sunlight.

Given the focal length and distance from the object, O, you can calculate the magnification, M = image size / object size, of the object as shown in the diagram below.

1 / image_distance = 1 / focal_length - 1 / object_distance

Magnification = image_size / object_size = image_distance / object_distance

https://byjus.com/physics/lens-formula/

If you add a second magnifying lens, the combined focal length will be shorter and magnification greater. The focal length of the combination can be calculated by the following formula:

1 / f = 1 / f1 + 1 / f2 - d / (f1 x f2),

where f is the focal length of the combination. The focal lengths of the 2 lenses are f1 and f2, and the distance of separation is d.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/247617/how-is-focal-length-defined-for-a-two-lens-system-separated-by-a-distance-d

Login to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #1

11/15/2021 8:28 AM

So simplistically using x3.5 reading glasses should bring the focal distance down to about 6", which would be OK.

I'm not sure if that holds when the dental loupes are already a two lens system.

Good Answers: 1681

11/14/2021 10:16 AM

I think a lot of the 3-D effect is resolution, and getting a good viewing angle...what if I may ask is the resolution of your viewer?

I know to get to blueray resolution on my computer screen I had to change the video card in my computer, go to HDMI connections, and buy a new hd monitor....even though I thought I had HD to begin with...and change the DVD drive to a blueray capable reader...So getting digital resolution to a 3D like experience is not so easily done...and to get the best experience you need not only high quality optic magnification, but you need high resolution viewing as well...

https://projectorslab.com/everythings-about-resolutions/

The ultimate setup is an engraver type binocular....but can get very pricey

Good Answers: 1681
In reply to #2

11/14/2021 10:33 AM

In reply to #2

11/15/2021 6:44 AM

The digital microscope I have is 1080p, but to get this picture