Close
Close
Close
2 comments
Associate

How to test contact vibration sensors

12/08/2021 2:10 PM

Hi all.

I wonder if anybody can help me figure out a system to test the frequency response of an electro-dynamic contact vibration sensor.

Shape:cylindrical

Diameter 15 mm - Height 13 mm

Impedance: 500 ohm.

Mass; 6 grams

Frequency range: 60 Hz to 12 kHz.

Relative small amplitude of vibrations. I would like to avoid a commercial shaker.

So far I have been using a speaker playing a sine sweep with the sensor glued to the cone. I get a frequency response but how do I calibrate the rig?

Thank you all in advance!

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Sensors calibration response
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 86

Re: How to test contact vibration sensors

12/08/2021 5:41 PM

Use a flat response mike in a sound pressure feedback servo loop to stabilize cone sound volume output and make your sweeps slow. Speaker should NOT be on an enclosure but on a relatively heavy flat panel and arrange for as anechoick conditions as possible on both sides. You can then make comparative measurements of sensor output. S.M.

In reply to #1

Re: How to test contact vibration sensors

12/08/2021 9:45 PM

Ok thanks. Yes, the speaker in not in an enclosure just like you said and I am using a flat diaphragm speaker from Tectonic.

https://www.parts-express.com/Tectonic-TEBM46C20N-4B-BMR-3-Full-Range-Speaker-4-297-2157

I have few mics around but I think I should buy a tiny condenser capsule from Primo.

Few questions:

Should I get a directional capsule? How far from the diaphragm would you place it?

Could you explain the servo loop? Can I just build one that can controls the amplitude of the (slow) sweep going to the amplifier?

Thank you so much.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 2 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!

Previous in Forum: Transformer full load   Next in Forum: Motor over current

Advertisement