Previous in Forum: Time Delayed Unit with Under Voltage Release   Next in Forum: Synchronization checks using different type of PTs
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

Honda EU3000is Generator Sudden Ignition Failure

05/22/2022 11:05 AM

First, I want to thank all who commented on my strange 2002 Chevy Van breaking problem last summer. The front wheel brake line hoses were replaced to no avail. Then a massive sequential total bleed down of the entire system (a lot of fluid used) cleared the problem, which leads me to believe the issue may have been a clogging or whatever in the ABS skid control unit.

The current problem is with my Honda EU 3000is generator, which was apparently initiated by my auto battery to generator battery jumper cable clamp shifting on the generator positive post to briefly ground against the frame when the Honda engine was coming to full speed and before I could remove the jumper connection. The engine suddenly began misfiring, black smoke and all.

Suspecting the spark plug may have fouled, I pulled it; seriously smutty, but looked OK. I put in my new spare and from a cold start from the jumped battery, the engine started, but was obviously misfiring, but not smoke at all as it barely kept running. At one minute or so, it suddenly went to full power with a burst of both blue and black smoke. It tested spot on for the full 20 amp load test. I pulled the replacement plug; it was clean, no smut at all.

But the problem persisted. In multiple hot and cold starts more and more frequently it would not start at all, misfire, etc., only once in 15-20 various starts did it eventually come to full power. The pulled plug (and the original plug) grounding against the frame showed very irregular sparking. I also did a wire test from the plug cap to the frame; sparking was all over the map, even with varying gap distances.

I went to my service manual and did all the Chapter 9 diagnostics (continuity and resistance checks), finally zeroing in on the 8-pin ignition control module (ICM) as the probable source of the erratic zero to full sparking problem.

Surprise. The ICM replacement has been discontinued by Honda and all the street sellers, with not a shred of info on an electronic ignition work around to splice into the 8-pin connector. It is hard to believe that a momentary short from the generator DC charge to the battery terminal could cause this problem for an otherwise splendid piece of equipment that has heretofore performed flawlessly for the last six hurricane seasons. (Strangely, printed on the ICM is ''TI 58'', the old original TI ''programmable'' calculator that I still own.)

I hope my generator is not toast. I look forward to the thoughts of all.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1031

Re: Honda EU3000is Generator Sudden Ignition Failure

05/22/2022 11:54 AM

It sounds like the ignition is wet. Can you start it up at night and see if there are any sparks around the wiring?

If it's wet, maybe you can blow air in there with a leaf blower to dry it out.

Just a thought...

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #1

05/25/2022 12:15 PM

Thanks. Bone dry.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1727

05/22/2022 3:28 PM

In reply to #2

05/25/2022 12:43 PM

Thanks for your substantive answer.

From general appearance, this looks like it may work. The data on the ICM appears to reveal a subsequent version of my ICM. I did a rather extensive search on repairclinic, but this never showed up. Of interest is that the footprint size of the TI 58A is about double that of the TI 58 in my generator; it will be a tight squeeze, but looks possible.

I will engage the folks at repairclinic to get their opinions. I sent a support inquiry to Honda ten days or so ago, but other than a "We received your request'' type of response, nothing, yet. I will try a follow up by dropping on Honda support a request to confirm the TI 58A as a suitable replacement.

The EU3000is is an amazingly tightly packed piece of consumer equipment, especially compared to my old Homelite of the same electrical performance - at the price of drinking gasoline at almost twice the rate of the Honda.

Your internet search acumen is impressive. I am receptive to being educated.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1727
In reply to #4

05/25/2022 3:20 PM

Just speed and experience, no secrets...zoom zoom baby!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bullardrr (2); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (2)

Previous in Forum: Time Delayed Unit with Under Voltage Release   Next in Forum: Synchronization checks using different type of PTs

Advertisement