Previous in Forum: Is JWST Rewriting Cosmology?   Next in Forum: THE DEATH OF FULLY AUTONOMOUS CARS
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

Two hands on the wheel

09/10/2022 3:14 PM

"Humans" have two hands on the wheel when driving, and then "Piloting", we grew up with it, but now, this "joy stick" generation has easily moved into the Airbus system of, "comfortable" cockpits, big seats to sleep in, and screens and side sticks. They are gamers. Bottom line though is the tried and true Boeing system of connected pilots, 100% of the time. I think that ALL pilot training should start with a steering wheel, then maybe transition to the "fighter pilot" side stick mentality, but "good pilots" always choose, "stick and rudder". Now a daze, you have to deal with "HAL", who took over for "George," you never know when he's going to do something crazy. My dad could always override auto pilot by just a simple yank and a throttle, and instantly take control. The airbus system is much too complicated, and a "righthanded sidestick" and a "lefthanded sidestick" that aren't directly connected. These pilots, who are confused sometimes while talking to HAL, can be overwhelmed with all the flashing lights and loud buzzes, but for me, there's nothing like "grabbing on to a steering wheel'. It helps me concentrate on Aviating. Dad said to me once, "there is only one thing you have to know to be a good pilot". all of a sudden in a power on stall, he says, "How, NOT to throw up".

Stick and rudder is a lifelong master trade, and should be taught more to our young ones. They learn right away how to fly their airplane and "fly themselves ALL the way to a crash landing", the most necessary skill, but sorta bypassed in training. This adage also holds true, "a nose-heavy airplane is hard to fly", but a "tail-heavy airplane Flies ONCE.

A pitch to pilots out there, about a most perfect "airplane",

the Hang Glider. you got two hands on the control bar, face forward bugs in the teeth, and are Directly connected to the C/G of the wing, you feel every moment of the wing, you can fly it hundreds of miles at 8,000 to 15,000 feet one day then the next day gently coast on the ocean beach air.

The new paragliding craze has thrown that right out the window, and people are being willingly taught by the thousands, how to "fly" a foreign made high tech parachute. "feet and tailbone first" with their hands over their head while pulling on breaks, and THEN, to boot, they strap a smelly old engine to their back and THEN take paying passengers . not my idea of fun, but they and their 501 non profits are making a lot of money. If I had my way I would raise insurance rates for paragliders "Cash Cows" threw the roof, and sue the ** out of them, at the same time coming up with a much cheaper and more comprehensive Hang Glider coverage plan. The word, "hang gliding" now a days, means all forms of "free" flight , and not so free tandem flights, with all kinds of equipment, all covered under one basic umbrella,

The alternative for flying is One "AMERICAN MADE" Flex Wing Hang Glider, One harness, and flying like a man, superman. No club to join or dues, no wavers to sign, no umbrella insurance plan just my good will as a well trained pilot of an air frame. Only problem though is, all the good Hang Glider launch sites have been taken over by paragliders, who demand that you be a "member" of their club. HG should 100% separate from PG.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1751

Re: Two hands on the wheel

09/10/2022 5:17 PM

In reply to #1

09/11/2022 3:21 AM

How to serve spaghetti - or you could try Hang Gliding, RM

In reply to #1

09/11/2022 3:27 AM

How to serve spaghetti - or you could try Hang Gliding. RM

Good Answers: 253

09/11/2022 3:36 AM

I was told you only had to have a pilot's license to take off and land.Everything else nowadays is automatic.Eventually,take off and landing will be automatic computer controlled.

UAV's already have that ability.At first,they had to be manually remote controlled landing.

Elevators used to have an operator to close the door and push the button for your floor,now we don't even think about it.

Now they are using UAV's for taxis in China.

When tractors first showed up on the farms,the farmers had no idea what to do with a steering wheel,so some tractors came with ropes or chains connected to the pivoting front axle.They were used to mules or horses,so it felt comfortable to them.

When the hand crank or pulley was the only way to start a tractor,someone came out with a fantastic advancement in starting technology:They used a shotgun shell to start the engine.Put the shell in a chamber,close the lid,and hit it with a hammer...BOOM! engine running.

Before too long,a 6 year old kid will be a better car driver than you are,but by then cars will be autonomous too,with Artificial Intelligence.The problem with AI is it will never be smarter than human stupidity.There will always be accidents.

The old always makes room for the new,but I agree with you that manual controls are the best backup you can get,and you still have a feel for the machine you are in,whether a car,or glider,or airplane.Can't beat analog human feedback.

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1049

09/11/2022 9:37 AM

My favorite book...read it cover to cover a couple of times before taking my first flying lesson.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #5

09/11/2022 10:28 AM

Fly with the rudder and don't be afraid to "push the stick forward when you're looking at the ground", that way you can fly your airplane all the way to a crash landing, in time of need.

C:+o)

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1049
In reply to #7

09/11/2022 7:06 PM

My 7AC Champ didn't have flaps. If I had too much altitude, I would just slip it down. The rudder was like a barn door...

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 35

09/11/2022 10:21 AM

I recently designed and built a semi-recumbent electric bike. Typically this style has right and left side sticks for steering control. Having never flown a plane, I like to have a handlebar in front of me, so I fitted a yoke to the vertical steering tube and from it a parallel linkage to the forks - two steel rods fitted with end swivel connectors (just visible in the freeze-frame). Easy rider.

Good Answers: 1751

09/12/2022 1:31 PM

In reply to #9

09/13/2022 2:22 AM

In reply to #10

09/14/2022 4:41 AM

"Two Hands lightly on the crossbar".

A post to US HAWKS in 2018, by a hang-gliding Master,

Rick Masters

You embrace her and feel her tremble and sigh, responsive to your touch.

You pay attention to the air ocean you are about to enter.

You don’t turn your back to its waves, lest they sweep you away.

You don’t make a bunch of ridiculous and distracting choreographic moves at the critical moment of take-off.

You stand firm and focus on the sky that beckons you.

You stand firm and focus on the movement of the air coming up the hill towards you.

A gust? A thermal? The devil?

Your hang glider is completely ready to go, trusting you to guide her.

You stand there, confident, in quiet excitement, feeling her fly on your shoulders like an ever wondrous and powerfully fleet, obedient Gryphen about to be released from her cage.

You see the grass ripple.

You watch the birds.

You listen to the words of the wind, sometimes you wait for signs of a thermal teasing the bushes.

You wait for the right moment, when the wind feels perfect, with your fabulous wing already flying inches over your head, responsive to your every command.

You trust her.

Then you take a few steps and fly away to heaven.

You are joyously and instantly and smoothly transformed into an ethereal being.

There is no drama.

Drama is for idiots. R.M. 2018

Good Answers: 12

09/16/2022 2:54 AM

Crazy how good ole "American Made" stuff is presumed by default to be superior to them darn "foreign made" high tech stuff. Only in America. (Apologies, I just couldn't help myself! Wrist is considered slapped upon.)

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Power-User

In reply to #12

09/16/2022 1:15 PM

Even so, Hang Glider pilots love their, quite unbreakable "adventure bikes", and bugs in their teeth. They rightfully presume that the wing, inches above their heads, is one of the strongest and most perfect aircraft designs ever and can always get them out of trouble in a "Heartbeat". (Like your bike) There is a craft in "aircraft", and the air frame hang glider is a Master craft. It was developed in the "American" Southwest in late 69' Torrance Beach Cliffs Calif being the "Kitty Hawk", the birthplace of the Hang-Gliding industry by some, "Sky Surfers". I lived at Torrance Beach from 1953 till 1965 and was lucky enough to be a "surf bum". When they drive or walk into a launch site with their gliders or "Long Boards", anywhere in the world, there is no mistaking who they are.

"Stuff" is "well" crafted, or "just" crafted, I'll take well.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

canadianslidewinder (1); gideon (1); HiTekRedNek (1); munch (6); Rixter (2); SolarEagle (2)

Previous in Forum: Is JWST Rewriting Cosmology?   Next in Forum: THE DEATH OF FULLY AUTONOMOUS CARS

Advertisement