Previous in Forum: Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter Sights Wreckage of Unknown Spacecraft   Next in Forum: "Gravity Powered" Airplane - Will This Work?
Close
Close
Close
2 comments
The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 129

The New Space Race

04/10/2006 2:13 PM

Today while I was checking out CNN, I noticed that space has become a lot more international in recent years. After looking around a bit, I realized that we're in an all out space race, and we don't even know it. Europe, Japan, China, India, UAE, and some private companies, have started to challenge the US's and to a lesser extent, Russia's, space superiority. Although the idea may seem laughable now, what happens if the US loses its foothold in space? Anyone from NASA or involved in space exploration want to comment? Am I overreacting(wouldn't be the first time)?
A probe launched by the European Space Agency(ESA) will reach Venus this Tuesday.
China plans to launch another manned rocket in 2008. The Chinese plan to do a space walk.
NASA's Mars Orbiter has been busy taking high resolution pictures of Mars surface since it arrived in orbit last month.
Three Astronauts returned from the International Space Station early Sunday. The astronauts were Russian, American, and Brazilian.
Here is a look at the competition:
National Space Development Agency of Japan
Indian Space Research Organization
Virgin Galactic
European Space Agency
China National Space Administration

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Participant

Space & Knowledge is everywhere

04/11/2006 8:58 AM

IMHO, Space is for anyone interested in it, if the country just started then good for them, if they have been in it for a while, still good for them, as long as they have the knowledge, will, and means of doing it. I don't either think the idea "may seem laughable", the race long time ago was to be the First in space, first on moon, first in something, but we as Americans can't own space, we can't decide who can go up there or can't.
most of us have to realize something very important, there is tonnes of people out there in the world who can do as good as we did, they either have knowledge but lack in means, or have the means and lack the knowledge, but all of them have the will to do. And don't forget that these people where the pioneers in math, science and astronomy thousands of years ago.

Guru
United States - Member - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - Organizer Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 32

Paradigm

04/11/2006 11:23 AM

For better or worse, space exploration is a matter of national pride. It's also a statement of military capability. After all, a rocket that can hit a spot on the moon can also hit an adversary's capital. Still, it's wasteful that the current paradigm is nation-vs.-nation. How many countries need to prove that they can spacewalk? How many missions - manned and unmanned - do we need to make to the moon before turning our full attention to the exploration of Mars?

Reply to Forum Thread 2 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter Sights Wreckage of Unknown Spacecraft   Next in Forum: "Gravity Powered" Airplane - Will This Work?

Advertisement