Previous in Forum: Continuous Monitoring of Microbes   Next in Forum: Test Box Validation: Is it required?
Close
Close
Close
23 comments
Active Contributor

welding work environment

02/02/2008 3:13 AM

Hello everybody,

can anyone tell me if there's any health effects on welding work environment. what maybe the effect on health on long exposures on welding operation.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 143

Re: welding work environment

02/02/2008 8:00 AM

Without precautions, yes. If you don't use your goggles (or use too low a number), you wind up "forge blind" - lots of cataracts I think.

Many of the gases are not good to breath and some of the particulates also. You may need to use a respirator or dust mask, but always want good ventilation.

Here's a site that will start you off:

www.osha.gov/SLTC/weldingcuttingbrazing/recognition.html

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 119

02/03/2008 12:23 AM

death and blindness come to mind of you weld plated stuff and breath the fumes. Each metal and plating emits assorted oxide particles. Cadmium is bad, so is beryllium, and each metal with have a sheet on precautions to use.

The arc is very rich in ultraviolet, especially on galvanized metals and pure zinc. Thus kills the retinal cells and also creates blemishes in the corrnea (cataracts), as someone else mentioned.

So read up on it and prepare for it.

Note exposed skin can also get badly sunburnt by the UV light, so any exposed skin needs covering. In addition, weld spatter burns holes in cloth, so weave no suits from nitrocellulose, possibly Welders Supply Inc or whatever local suppliers you find can advise you. Trade schools too.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Welders+Supply+Inc&btnG=Google+Search

Good Answers: 7

02/03/2008 5:16 AM

Even with the right protection, things can still "get you".

Never wear contact lenses in the vicinity of welding work. Check other employees in the area before you start and make sure everybody knows there is welding going on.

The spark of the welding is not only visible light, also a lot of UV and other stuff. This radiation will fuse the outer skin of your eyeball with the contact lens permanently. You will not feel anything until you try to take the contact lens out. Permanent damage and even blindness is the result.

It sounds that you could do with some expert advise about this as the need to ask the question belies your ignorance on the subject. Get information first.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - Scapolie, new member.

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #3

02/03/2008 8:18 AM

Hi case491.

While working as an engineer at a shipyard in Norway in 1974 to 78 where the health and safety people are very strict, I was asked to run an exersise in the gasses and particals breathed in by the welders! To do this a number of welders had a box attached to their backs that contained an extraction fan and a filter. attached to the box was a flexable ribbed hose, this was then attached to their heads close to their cheek, so any gas or particals that they would normally breath in were captured in the filters.

These filters were then taken by me to a local lab every evening to be checked. The results were horrifying. If the welders were using stick welding of the thick steels, the flux used contained a number of carciogens and other deadly components!

There was Nickel, Copper, Zink, Manganese, Sodium, Calcium, Florine and Silica. Most of these were oxides, Florides or Silicates, and the Silica component would cause Silicosis in the long term if breathed in daily!!!

From this analysis all welders were made to use a form of filter breathing equipent.

Spencer.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

02/03/2008 8:30 AM

They now recommend local extraction for almost any welding. Your test probably helped with the making of that particular health and safety recommendation, you should be proud.

Do you know if they also did any similar tests on soldering electronics?

We solder a lot but the extraction units are soooooo noisy that most people leave them off. (including me)

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #3

02/11/2008 1:28 PM

I'm curious about where you learned that wearing contact lenses is unsafe? Nearly all recent medical and professional documentation that I have seen suggests otherwise.

I would venture that you should update yourself on this.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #3

09/28/2008 3:25 PM

This is a unproven myth. Contact lens do not fuse to your eyes. Please refer to OSHA website for more update information.

Register to Reply
Guru

02/03/2008 6:39 AM

As everyone said you must use the proper welding shield.

Welding gives off fumes (vaporized metal), these fumes can give you metal poisoning, they also attack the cilia (the little hair like things in your inter ear) and have a detrimental affect on your hearing. You should also wear ear plugs, it may not sound like it but the nose from welding is over 85 db.

The smoke and fumes also are very hard on your respiratory system.

So use the proper shield, wear ear plugs, use a smoke, fume removal system or wear the proper respirator, wear appropriate clothing including gloves.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #4

02/04/2008 3:12 AM

thank you very much for all of your advice

but this is something new

that welding operation can affect hearing

i will check on it

thank you

02/03/2008 7:08 AM

Oh, and I forgot the very worst hazard. Never, ever, ever, wear slip-on shoes while welding. I once invented three new dances in less than a minute.

In reply to #5

02/03/2008 7:14 AM

Further to that one, do not kneel on the ground next to what you are welding either. Those fiery balls of liquid molten metal roll everywhere but mostly to places where it hurts most.

Ouch!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

02/03/2008 7:25 AM

Oh and that reminds me of another. Do not weld in dry grass; you cannot see a grass fire through your goggles and your pant leg is a one time only fire detector.

In reply to #7

02/03/2008 8:26 AM

As for wet grass........

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #9

02/03/2008 8:37 AM

You sound like a fellow hillbilly (didn't know they had us in England). Most common last words in Appalachia: "Watch this"

In reply to #11

02/03/2008 8:48 AM

I am no hillbilly, I think. Although I like the idea of hunting with dynamite

I was just referring to the electrocution of self by stick welder. Must tickle a bit.

Guru

In reply to #12

02/03/2008 8:58 AM

We used to fish with it. Never saw anybody hunt with it. It's not been available here for several decades.

In reply to #13

02/03/2008 9:07 AM

Fish or hunt, same thing only wetter

We used calcium carbide for fishing as well. It used to be available from hardware stores especially in areas where they have a lot of caves. The same stuff was used by caver's to burn in their carbide lamps. Fun stuff

Maybe another thread, how did you or your fathers hunt?

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - Scapolie, new member.

In reply to #12

02/03/2008 9:10 AM

Hi case491.

The welders at the one shipyard were I worked used to dip the end of their welding rods in the sea, this used to temporally stun the nearby fish which they then used to take home for their dinner.

Spencer.

Guru
Spain - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 25

02/04/2008 3:30 AM

Hi all,

I will not talk about the breathing or eyes risks as it's has been well and deep explained.

Just a couple of things:

Welders (professional ones) must protect the skin too from UV radiation. Prolongated exposition can produce skin burnings.

It seems everybody (but Case 491) have suppossed "arc welding": stick, tig, mig/mag, etc. There are some other welding proccesses which don't have the same risks: resistance welding, electron beam, etc.

Regarding soldering of electronics, the risks are much more smaller because the base metal don't melt, just the filler and it use to be alloys of the Pb-Sn eutectic type which melts at 183ÂșC so you have not problems with UV radiation nor breathing metals. The only problem could be the fumes produced by fluxes if you use it.

In reply to #17

02/04/2008 2:48 PM

Thank you.

Most solders have fluxes in them so we really should use the ventilators I suppose.

Also the wire sometimes gets too hot and the insulator sheath melts, which causes other fumes that could be a problem as well.

I'll switch it on next time I think. Don't want to die just yet.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 35

02/04/2008 10:16 AM

It is an OSHA requirement that companies have a plan set up for having welders be sent to have their lungs x-rayed periodically.

The soot produced is thick and settles everywhere.

Good Answers: 1

04/18/2008 12:23 PM

if you are sharpening the welding tips of the TIG welder you have to protect yourself from breathing the radioactive thorium found in some of the rods

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

12/10/2008 8:37 AM

your a dusch and a fag

Register to Reply 23 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (3); aurizon (1); autozam (1); case491 (7); Janissaries (1); jemclau (1); jmart23 (1); Kwetz (1); Scapolie (2); TVP45 (5)

Previous in Forum: Continuous Monitoring of Microbes   Next in Forum: Test Box Validation: Is it required?

Advertisement