Previous in Forum: Pricing of Nylon 66   Next in Forum: Wanted: Large Parabolic dish solar collector
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Active Contributor

Welding 1.6 mm MS and SS Sheets

02/15/2008 1:27 AM

Hello,

I am a manufacturer of engineering equipments and have recently started our own fabrication shop. I am using 1.6 mm MS and SS Sheets for making tanks and cylinders. The tanks are used for holding liquids only and the cylinders are made to allow liquids through it with a maximum pressure of upto 2 bar. I have infrastructure for Oxy acetylene welding, Sheilded Metal Arc Welding, TIG welding. I find the end product after welding with so much undulations and bends that it is not acceptable at all. Is there any specific procedure for welding these sheets and any pre process mechanisms if any? I would like to work deeper and create a better product.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Associate

Re: welding 1.6 mm MS and SS sheets

02/15/2008 7:23 AM

Try seam welding, a process which involves 2 rotating copper wheels with applied pressure and electricity to weld a joint.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

Re: Welding 1.6 mm MS and SS Sheets

02/16/2008 12:58 AM

Thank you for the valuable input.

Good Answers: 4

02/16/2008 8:56 AM

Hi

In fact we do weld sheets of even 1.2mm thickness.

If MS we use arc welding, but smaller gauge (usually 14 gauge or 12 gauge) is used.

For SS we use TIG.

If you have not done your fitting work properly and tag welded the entire shape first you should not get warping. When you weld do not do it at a stretch. Allow the work piece to cool down a bit in between welding runs.

Hope this info may be of help.

Good Answers: 1

02/16/2008 10:35 AM

I have welded satinless of this thickness with tig process. It helps to maintain a slight gap in the joint. Weld maybe 6 " of the joint and then cool the area on eash side of the joint with compressed air. This keeps the heat from building up and eliminates much of the creep in the metal. Do not cool the welded area directly but on each side of the weld. This can also be done with mig on thicker material by backsteping the weld and cooling with air. you may need to play with it some to find what works best for you.

Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Egypt - Member - Member since 02/18/2007

Good Answers: 244

02/16/2008 12:45 PM

TIG welding using small diameter wire shall allow using a little bit ampere which will eliminate heat input into the metal.

Heat input, J/in. (or W-sec./in.) = Volt x Ampere x 60 / (Speed in./min.)

02/17/2008 4:45 AM

Welding sheet stainless can be a bear unless it is well supported by being tacked down to a solid frame. If the tanks are large enough to get a person inside, I have had good luck using two MIG welders. One on the inside and the other on the outside with one person following a few inches behind the other one. Make sure you follow all safety precautions for a person in an enclosed area if you try this method. Remember, tack the hell out of it before you do any welding and good luck!

Register to Reply
Power-User

02/18/2008 12:59 AM

Hi,

You should contact Mr James Rodrigues of Arc Plasma at plasmaprince@gmail.com, I am sure, he will solve your pronlem and help much more...

Best luck,

Nachi.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

02/19/2008 11:39 PM

You may contact Mr Karunakaran of GR Industries Coinbatore ( karunakaranpullat@rediffmail.com)who used to supply 0.6( zero.six ) mm SS 316L welded Belts, a huge coil of 1.6 Metre width and 0.6 mm thickness.The dia of joined belt loop will be 1.8 M . The weld was oblique for better stress carrying in Fatigue loading.There was no lack of fusion,or exess penetration ,no distortion, excellent visual characteristics for the 2 Meter long weld.The client was Eltex Coi and then so many others later.

It looked like a tylor's stitch.

DR AK Garg, the head of TIG & Plasma Research Group of Welding Research Institute Tiruchi , India was astonished as he visited there to see it.

Good luck Arvind

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #8

03/16/2008 7:16 AM

Thank you all for the contributions to my discussion. Can anybody suggest me on how to join a 10mm rod to the 1.6 mm sheet. I am thinking of providing supports to my sheets from wobbling. Any help would be appreciated

In reply to #8

03/03/2010 7:27 AM

Dear Aravind.

Can u confirm Mr.karunakaran's contact details once again.

Expecting your reply to solve woobling and projection on ss(1.5mm) to ms(1.2mm) tig welding

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Abdel Halim Galala (1); Anonymous Poster (2); Aravind (2); mtdmaker (1); Nachi (1); pismire (1); rustyh2o (1); Sisira (1)

Previous in Forum: Pricing of Nylon 66   Next in Forum: Wanted: Large Parabolic dish solar collector

Advertisement