Previous in Forum: New Googles,stinks   Next in Forum: Disappearing Glaciers - Global Warming?
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 96

Switching System for Auditioning Audio Products

03/30/2008 12:53 AM

I am re-building a listening environment used mostly to audition audio equipment in an "A-B" fashion. This is a typical setup for the audio industry, but can be seen in a crude form in almost any retail environment where different audio products are displayed, and the consumer can easily switch from one product to the next to hear the differences.

Generally, on the industry side, there is a better acoustic environment for this A-B testing, but the switching systems seem to be as variable as from 'home-made' to very sophisticated. The company of choice in the US is Audio Authority who offer some good solutions, but I'm wondering if there are others? I can find none. AA is good, but just wondering if anyone has a handle on other solutions as well.

I'm not needing (or wanting) to 'reinvent the wheel' ... just seeing what input others have.

Thanks.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - bwire Hobbies - Car Customizing - New Member

Re: Switching System for Auditioning Audio Products

03/30/2008 1:16 AM

In reply to #1

03/30/2008 1:38 AM

Thanks. I'll check them out. Most are re-sellers, but may have some good solutions.

Thanks again.

In reply to #2

03/30/2008 6:49 PM

www.sweetwater.com is a solution center...

In reply to #3

03/31/2008 1:49 AM

I used to live about 10 miles from Sweetwater, and also sold products to them (former life). Their focus is in the music industry with products for stage and studio. Cool stuff for the music industry, but they neither design nor manufacture, and (from searching their site, and personal experience) they don't have any audio switching solutions.

But thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

In reply to #4

03/31/2008 4:26 PM

I'm with Rod74h on this...that is what I was inferring and I have use sweet water to source the items required to build switches. Though 'parts express' or mouser are good sources also. The switch your describing is essentially an amp or mic switch any DJ could assemble one for you.

03/31/2008 8:57 AM

It's easy enough to build your own.

If you can find a good box for your unit, then the quality is only down to the amount you are willing to spend on connects and switches.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

03/31/2008 8:31 PM

You're both correct. We've had our own "home brew" for about 15 years now. Its geared for switching high-level (up to 1200 watts into 4 ohms) in a 'make-before-break' manner so there is no heavy 'thump' when switched. But, it can only handle 2 stereo pairs, and the switch is a wired switch thats inconvenient and always breaking.

I'm trying to drag us (albeit kicking and screaming) out of the 1970's with a little more capability and scope.

What I want to do is switch the test setup between LFE, low-level stereo, and high-level stereo, and in each setup, be able to A-B between (up to) 4 products. I want to get rid of the wired switch, and use an IR remote.

As I mentioned Audio Authority has all this gear and can design the entire system, but I was just wondering if there are other companies who can also do this ... competition makes the world go round .

I built the last system here, and constantly repair it. I really don't want another 'hands-on' project ... already have my hands full. In fact, the AA system will still have to be installed and wired, but at least the electronics are modular and can be replaced pretty easily if things 'go down'.

If Sweetwater or Parts Express can do this kind of design and recommendation service, that's great, but its not been my experience that they are in this business. If I'm wrong, I tip my hat (hmmm, need to go buy a hat) to you, and I will add them to my resources.

Thanks,

In reply to #7

04/01/2008 10:41 AM

Excuse me I misunderstood your probe.

Consult www.yorkville.com go beyond the page and contact direct, their capabilities are remarkable and all is by hand (:

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bwire (4); DCaD (3); Rod74h (1)

Previous in Forum: New Googles,stinks   Next in Forum: Disappearing Glaciers - Global Warming?

Advertisement