Previous in Forum: NASA to Announce Dark Matter on Monday   Next in Forum: NASA Announces Dark Matter
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

3 New Planets?

08/16/2006 9:34 AM

Hey, What do folks think about the proposed 3 new planets; Ceres, Charon, and 2003 UB313? http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14364833/

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Retired South Africa - Member - The Rainbow-nation Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Relativity & Cosmology Popular Science - Cosmology - The Big Picture!

Good Answers: 68

Re: 3 New Planets?

08/16/2006 9:55 AM

I think it's lousy and will hopefully not be passed. I think they should stick to the 9 "classical planets" and call the other big ones TPPOs (Trans-Pluto-Planet-like-Objects)! What a horrible nameā€¦

Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 129
In reply to #1

08/16/2006 12:33 PM

I'm with you Jorrie. They should stick to the 9 planets and call the new objects something else. KBO worked for me. It's not like the new proposal makes much sense. Why wouldn't the moon be a planet? It's bigger than Pluto and it's round.

Power-User

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #1

08/17/2006 12:39 AM

Hmmmmmm... Pluto. Howabout "Mickey, Goofy, and Donald". Shatter that Disney monoply stuff. Sorry, I meant "wicky", "woofy", and "wonald". Would all you lawyers please go home now?

Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Retired South Africa - Member - The Rainbow-nation Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Relativity & Cosmology Popular Science - Cosmology - The Big Picture!

Good Answers: 68
In reply to #3

3 New Planets? Oh, no!

08/17/2006 12:19 PM

It looks like there is strong support for this rather messy proposal! The tally of planets is expected to eventually soar into the hundreds if the resolution is passed by a vote next week. Some astronomers criticized it as too vague and arbitrary.

"The resolution itself is a complete mess," said Mike Brown, a Caltech researcher who would become the discoverer of the 12th planet if the IAU definition were approved.

But the Division for Planetary Sciences (DPS), a group within the American Astronomical Society, has the opposite view. The 12-member DPS Committee, elected by the membership, "strongly supports the IAU resolution," according to a statement released today.

Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 129
In reply to #4

Re:3 New Planets? Oh, no!

08/19/2006 4:07 PM

I'm convinced that even if they pass this resolution, it will have the same adoption success as Metric in the US. As far as I'm concerned, there are 9 planets, some asteroids, and KBOs, there vote changes nothing for me.

Power-User
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

'New` Planets

08/17/2006 3:39 PM

Damned nuisance, all these changed definitions.
I'm a crusty old fart and hate change on general principles.
That said, astronomy is a science, and as such requires
precise definitions, even if it means that some of us are inconvenienced
in having to change our speach as new ideas become accepted.
Why saddle the next generation of students with an
inconsistant system of nomenclature?
Let those most involved decide what makes sense, let them set
a standard for general use, and be done with the noise.

Associate
Indonesia - Member - New Member

Location: Corenda, Situmekar, Cisitu, Sumedang, West Java, Indonesia, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe.
Good Answers: 1

Proove it true and better than before

08/18/2006 9:08 PM

Every one well invited to invent, to state a new theory, or to reject the old ones providing that the newbees prooved to be true and better than the predecessor.

It was long time span people believed that their beloved earth as a flat world, and hard to accept the round ball like earth as prooved later.

It was long time span people believed that earth being the center of our universe, and heliocentric idea will kill you at the first time.

Freon has changed our lifestyle of presenting 'Antartica in your room', but then being a suspect as the ozone destructor and sentenced to life only a few more time. No salutation of course!

Much more like that with the main aim to furnish our life getting better, easier, and wonderfull. We call it science and technology development.

Keep going as we never reach the edge of it. All we need is open minded and the believe that God loves us with the ideas given to the inventors. Don't lie or fake, you will be punished and this world is not yours anymore.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Bayes (2); eka_subyantara (1); Jorrie (2); ktel60 (1); Pragmatist (1)

Previous in Forum: NASA to Announce Dark Matter on Monday   Next in Forum: NASA Announces Dark Matter
You might be interested in: Conveyor Chain, Leaf Chain, Protocol Stack Software

Advertisement