Previous in Forum: Solar Energy to Save Oil   Next in Forum: Is Sod's Law Real? Let's Hear About Your Experiences!
Close
Close
Close

Nose and Vibration - Screw Compressor and Oil Separator

06/05/2008 8:41 AM

With regard to the captioned subject, I'd like to be informed by Static Engineer.

When Fuel & Oil mixture compressed by screw compressor flows into Oil Seperator Unit, too loud noise & serious vibration occurs.

So, owner requested me to change the design related to items & lines.

I think that suction line & drum thickness to be larger than before, drum size to be changed to more bigger one.

If you have other ideas and similar experiences, please let me know how to do.

Thank you in advance for your help.

<Screw Compressor>

Fluid: CH4 Fuel Gas, Capa: 8225 kg/hr, Operating outlet: 22.47kg/cm2G, 89.7'C

Suction size: 10", Disch. size: 8"

<Oil separator>

Vertical, Dia: 1250mm, thickness: 15mm

Height: 3000mm, Vol: 3.3 m2, Material: SUS (TP304)

<Line length between Oil separator and Screw Compressor>

4000mm

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 87

Re: Oil Separator Vessel Vibration occurred by Screw Compressor

06/05/2008 8:53 AM

I am a rotating equipment and vibration engineer (see my bio) and let me assure you that while a static engineer will be helpful in the vessel design, you need the help of a dynamics engineer.

I have solved this problem several times, and based on your (very brief) description I would guess that you have a "cross wall" acoustic resonance in the vessel. To make matters worse there probably parts of the vessel that are mechanically resonant to the same frequency.

The solution is indeed to change vessel diameter and wall thickness, but it may be possible to solve this by adding an orifice or a "Kotter Plate" in the discharge nozzle of the compressor in order to reduce the acoustic energy at screw compressor pocket passing frequency that is being transmitted into the drum.

I recommend that you consult EDI, or Kotter Engineering for help with this problem. Both organizations have been very helpful to me over the years...

http://www.engdyn.com/

http://www.koetter-consulting.com/en/homepage/

Register to Reply
Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: Solar Energy to Save Oil   Next in Forum: Is Sod's Law Real? Let's Hear About Your Experiences!

Advertisement