Previous in Forum: 21st century energy sources   Next in Forum: Gates in favor of removing visa limits
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
The Feature Creep

Snow-machining: Using C02 to replace oils

05/09/2005 11:52 AM

Can CO2 be used to cool and lubricate parts as part of the machining process? Yes, if the folks at University of California and Los Alamos National Laboratory have anything to say about it. The process, called snow-machining, uses a jet of solid carbon dioxide (CO2) to cool/lubricate the surface of metal parts and remove the cut material during machining. It could allow manufacturers to do away with the more than 100 million gallons of metalworking oil and cutting fluids used each year.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Friend of CR4

Good Answers: 35

Cost & Time frames

05/09/2005 12:14 PM

I wonder how quickly industry will embrace this technology? What kind of capital investment will be required to make the changeover? Potentially this could put an entire industry (metail working and cutting fluids) out of business.

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #1

Re:Cost & Time frames

05/17/2005 1:53 PM

I think it is a really cool technology, but isn't CO2 a greenhouse gas, so the government is sure to step in and regulate it to death. It is also a colorless, odorless, dangerous gas at standard atmospheric pressure and temp. and would be difficult to reclaim and re-use to cut costs. I worked with CO2 in the oilfied, and if liquid CO2 was trapped in one of our lines and not vented immediately it could explode due to the pressure build-up as the liquid went to vapor.

Register to Reply
The Feature Creep

In reply to #2

Re:Cost & Time frames

05/20/2005 2:42 PM

I agree that CO2 in quantity is dangerous. The question should be, is it safer for workers and the environment than the fluids currently being used in machining today.
As for reuse, I think it's cheaper to manufacture then to reuse. I would have to see the cost of a one over another in a cost benefit analysis though.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BRodda (1); Chris Leonard (1); shooter (1)

Previous in Forum: 21st century energy sources   Next in Forum: Gates in favor of removing visa limits

Advertisement