Previous in Forum: Computer Monitor as Security Camera Monitor   Next in Forum: "Internet Repeater Linking Project” (IRLP)
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Active Contributor

DVD stuck in DVD player

06/24/2008 10:00 AM

I have a Coby-223 DVD player and a DVD is stuck and will not allow the tray to eject. How can I get it out?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 33

Re: DVD stuck in DVD player

06/24/2008 10:21 AM

Did the disc insert normally, or did it "hang" or have to be forced to close?

I don't know if this applies to your particular unit, but drives for PCs have a very small hole in the front of the tray for manual eject. Just insert an unbent paper-clip in the hole, pushing gently, but firmly, and the tray opens.

If your unit does not have such a feature, you will have to open the case to extract the disc. (DISCONNECT POWER CABLE BEFORE OPENING CASE!)

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #1

06/26/2008 8:56 AM

I had the same problem with my CD player. I was told that it was caused by the paper label (computer generated) that had been applied to the CD. The solution I used was kind of novel, at least. Take the player to the garage, hold it firmly by the plug end. Be sure to have the machine on the floor behind you. Then, swing the unit overhead and let it smash on the concrete floor in front of you. The CD popped out on impact. It was a beautiful thing, I was proud.

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467
In reply to #15

06/26/2008 6:35 PM

Good scheme!

Did you have a small area of bare floor (for the player to smash into) with carpet all around (to save the CD from being trashed on the bare concrete), or perhaps a bunch of little kids gathered round (like in a Nativity scene, but all wearing eye protection) waiting to catch it? Or was the CD irrelevant in the context of "removal of CD from recalcitrant player", and you just wanted revenge?

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #16

06/27/2008 4:08 PM

Well, suffice it to say that I bought a new player the same day.

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #17

06/27/2008 6:48 PM

Was the CD intact?

06/24/2008 11:11 AM

Del will sort it for you. He knows all about this sort of stuff.

Good Answers: 6

06/24/2008 5:45 PM

"I have a DVD player and a DVD is stuck and will not allow the tray to eject. How can I get it out?"

If opening the tray with a straightened out paper clip does not allow opening of tray and removal of disc....

Shut down the computer/player, disconnect from power line. Remove player from computer and or turn player on one side then the other to allow disc to fall into place on the tray, open & remove disc.

Associate

Good Answers: 2

06/25/2008 1:10 AM

I had the same problem once with a stand alone DVD player. I needed 3 tools to fix it; a thin, flexible butter knife, household hammer, and a credit card. I used the butter knife to try to pry open the door for about 30 minutes, then smashed the thing with the hammer, and then used the credit card to buy a new one.

Problem solved!

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 6)
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #4

06/25/2008 7:46 AM

Sounds like a plan to me.

Register to Reply
Commentator
India - Member - Isloorkar

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #4

06/25/2008 7:54 AM

When nothing else works, humour does! Thanks a ton for brightening up the discussion.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #4

06/25/2008 7:55 AM

That would work. Personally, I'd ship it to Del, though...

Popular Science - Weaponology - Scapolie, new member.

Good Answers: 8

06/25/2008 9:37 AM

Hi migo-1,

Thats easy, just dismantle the whole thing and take your DVD out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spencer.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

06/25/2008 10:56 AM

If its a stand alone player..(I think it is) Just remove the top cover. You will see that there are about four screws that hold the mechanism in place. remove them and all cables attached to the PCB from the mech. If you turn the mechanism over you will see a small slider on one side. Just push it back and the laser head will move down and the tray will open.

OR, If you luck enough to have one some mechs allow you to remove the top idler hub assembly (The little piece that sits on TOP of the disc while its playing. IF you can take that off the disk will lift right out.

If its a PC unit then the hole in the front with a paper clip trick is the easiest fix. Sometimes if you can pry the front plate off the tray it makes it a bit easier to see what your doing. But if you try this the unit is will be junk. (which is already true if the disc is stuck and wont eject)

Hope this helps...If it does then twenty years of repairing consumer electronics will have not been a total waste! hahah!

bill12780

In reply to #9

06/25/2008 1:45 PM

Hi bill12780,

After all that is the DVD unit still able to work, provided that you put it back together again? I got one of these VCR/DVD combos on my shelf and successfully accomplished part 1. Should I try to put it back together again or cannibalise it for spare parts?

Thanks,

/Ari (Orpheuse)

In reply to #10

06/25/2008 3:01 PM

Well its possible. You can try it but I would NOT use a disc I wanted back.

What I use to do is us a unburnt CDR. They are cheap and if it gets stuck you can just leave it in there.

Put it back together and see if the tray opens and closes. If it does then try a CDR. If you can see the mech while its working the disc should spin and if you look you will see the "eye" or lens assembly move up and down and in and out from the center of the disc.

If this all happens and you can retrieve you CDR then try a copied DVD, oops, sorry, a Backed-up DVD. and see if it works.

Nothing to loose except a bit of time. I would also clean the lens while you have it apart. To do this use a CLEAN NEW Q-tip (cotton swab) use NO LIQUID of any kind! just breath on the lens like you would your glasses (You know HAAAA HAAAA to fog them up) and then polish up the lens.

IF all this fails. You can always use the unit for a TV for video games or security systems.

Good Luck!

bill12780

In reply to #11

06/25/2008 3:40 PM

A most sincere thank you for your response. (I generally like to have my girlfriend fog up my glasses) Seems that the unit is worth more to me in my robotics than as a VCR. There are some juicy components in there.

/Ari (Orpheuse)

United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #12

06/25/2008 4:05 PM

And while not free, at least already paid for...

In reply to #13

06/25/2008 4:58 PM

OH, Its a VCR/DVD combo. I thought it was a TV/DVD combo.

Yea you should just S***can that baby. Its not worth fixing!

There is allot of cool stuff in the VCR section to play with. Problem your going to run into is documentation on the parts. You could find a print for the unit but it will only have "troubleshooting" information like what voltage to expect here and the like.

But actual information on say the loading motor? Good luck. You might can track it down. Or take a guess and pray your right as not to let out the magic smoke that makes all electronics work.

Fun stuff to play with in this unit is as follows:

VCR

Loading motor, end sensors (photo), Audio head, Video head, Recording head, all kinds of gears and mode switches

DVD

tray motor, laser diode(s), some real kewl tiny motors (on the lens assembly), Spin motor, Mirrors and collimating lenses

Have fun and good luck.

Hope I was able to help!

bill12780

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); bill12780 (3); EnviroMan (2); isloorkar (1); JohnDG (3); Kaganh (1); Orpheuse (2); pantaz (1); Scapolie (1); Stirling Stan (1); The Commoner (2)

Previous in Forum: Computer Monitor as Security Camera Monitor   Next in Forum: "Internet Repeater Linking Project” (IRLP)

Advertisement