Previous in Forum: CFD, More Than Blowing Smoke   Next in Forum: September 11, 1941: Pentagon Construction Begins
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Friend of CR4

Good Answers: 35

Boston's Big Dig: An Engineering Tragedy?

09/05/2006 2:53 PM

The collapse of the roof in sections of Boston's Central Artery Tunnel Project has become one of engineering's biggest controversies. Is the fault in the design or in the installation? Following the incident, structural engineers have offered their comments of the bolt and epoxy assemblies used to anchor the concrete blocks to the tunnel ceiling.

The preceding article is a "sneak peek" from the September issue of Industrial Automation, a new newsletter from GlobalSpec. To stay up-to-date and informed on industry trends, products, and technologies, subscribe to Industrial Automation today.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Power-User

Good Answers: 4

bolt epoxy

09/05/2006 3:25 PM

Did anyone look at the epoxy itself ,were the temperatures critical were the batch numbers ever anylized for effectiveness .Or were the same standards applied as was the concrete.

In reply to #1

Re:bolt epoxy

09/06/2006 3:20 AM

Maybe the solution is not hang 12 ton slaps above highway tunnels, is there one reason for them to be up there in the first place? besides for looks seems to me gunite would be the simple and cheap solution.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #2

09/06/2006 7:24 AM

That is exactly my argument. …and wouldn't the cheap and easy (also safe) way to fix it be to use the existing brackets and replace the 12 ton concrete slabs with much lighter fiberglass. This is what I see as being a common future in engineering, bureaucracy and corruption driving the projects, not the engineers. We had a family of "big dig workers" move into our neighborhood a mere 150 miles outside of Boston. 1 or 2 of them would head to the job site for a few hours everyday. The rest would stay at home and work on fixing up the house they lived in so they could flip it and move on to another. The local media recently exploited big dig workers who put their children on the payroll. The simple fact that so many people stole from this project should make them 100% responsible for fixing it. Thousands of people became millionaires off the big dig and all that cash should be taken back.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #3

09/06/2006 3:53 PM

I thought there was some reason the cielings needed to be strong enough to allow a big airflow to run through maybe fiberglass couldn't handle the job .Although I'd guess the choice of concrete had more to do with someone making some more money and the added benifit it gave the workers a great place to hide so they wouldn't have to do much .

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); pilotcraig2001 (1); traditional (2)

Previous in Forum: CFD, More Than Blowing Smoke   Next in Forum: September 11, 1941: Pentagon Construction Begins

Advertisement